Brussels Airport considering low cost terminal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Brussels Airport considering low cost terminal

Post by Boeing767copilot »

The European Low Fares Airline Association (ELFAA) released today updated statistics for its member airlines. Highlights of the updated statistics for 2008 are:

- 149.5 million passengers carried
- 15.7% growth year-on-year (passengers)1
- 81.5% average load factor (percentage of seats filled)
- 612 environmentally-efficient aircraft
- 5.2 average fleet age
- 23,306 employees
- 6415 passengers carried per employee (appr.)

John Hanlon, Secretary General of ELFAA said: “These latest statistics from ELFAA members show that the low fares business model is robust, even in times of crisis in the aviation industry.

"ELFAA member airlines continue to grow at a steady pace while maintaining high load factors. This, coupled with a young average fleet age and high seat density aircraft, results in minimised fuel burn and CO2 emissions per passenger kilometre, thus, reiterating the members’ environmental credentials.

"Now more than ever before, European consumers, whether travelling for leisure or on business, are opting for the best value-for-money air services, low fares and reliable operations.”

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Interesting article about the planned low cost terminal in La Libre Belgique today.

The terminal will be located between the old 1958 terminal building and the satellite. It will be called "Azur" (continuity with "Sapphire" and "Topaz". Four gates on the part between the terminal and the satellite, and 2 additional gates in the satellite. No moving walkways, no elevators, but restaurants.

Passengers would pay 6€ less than in the main terminal. There would be 12 check-in counters in the old terminal.

Plane rotation 20 minutes!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

I hope there will be also a new belgian low cost company from Brussels. :D
flying to some european cities.(not only easyjet etc)

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

sn26567 wrote:Interesting article about the planned low cost terminal in La Libre Belgique today.

The terminal will be located between the old 1958 terminal building and the satellite. It will be called "Azur" (continuity with "Sapphire" and "Topaz". Four gates on the part between the terminal and the satellite, and 2 additional gates in the satellite. No moving walkways, no elevators, but restaurants.

Passengers would pay 6€ less than in the main terminal. There would be 12 check-in counters in the old terminal.

Plane rotation 20 minutes!
I would call it "Easyjet - terminal", because that is what it is.

regi

Post by regi »

I only hope that a low cost trerminal will not downgrade the entire airport. Look at East Midlands airport. It is not a nice place. The excuse is that it is a small regional airport , mainly used for low cost activities. But the business traveller who arrives with a BMI flight on a 500 £ ticket from Brussels feels a bit cheated.

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

You never know that some belgian pilots/cabin crew starts a new belgian company
and then it will not only be an easy jet terminal.
Fingers crossed!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

regi wrote:I only hope that a low cost trerminal will not downgrade the entire airport.
No more than a low cost airline downgrades an airport.
Is not that a bit of snobbishness here ?
And, anyway, is BRU such a "high grade" airport ?

regi

Post by regi »

Call me a snob if you feel the need, but first take the flight Brussels - East Midlands. Than you can decide if you prefer Brussels and all its nice services, or the low cost airport East Midlands. Similar situation with Schönefeld. And that are typical Easy Jet airports.
Do you like Glasgow? The catering is exquisite, especially designed for the typical Ryanair passenger. Great if you have a 4 hour delay - as I had. :x
On moments like that you miss the Zaventem services.
Nothing about snobism, all about services for which some people wish to pay for.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

regi wrote: Nothing about snobism, all about services for which some people wish to pay for.
People who wish to pay for services will take a flight in the high-cost terminal, those who don't, who think that an airport is just a place where one boards a plane - will go to the low-cost terminal.
It just shows that a low-cost terminal is needed at Brussels - as there is already a high-cost one.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

regi wrote:I only hope that a low cost trerminal will not downgrade the entire airport.
Another "downgraded" airport !
At Copenhagen Kastrup construction work has begun on a new passenger building dedicated to low-cost operators; extension to the existing pier D, six gates.
Brian Petersen, CEO of Copenhagen Airports A/S : "With CPH SWIFT, we are creating a new concept and providing new physical facilties that meet low-cost carrier demand for quick service of passengers and handling of aircraft".
( in "Airliner World", february 2010, page 10.)
Will BRU be the last (as usual) to have an LCC terminal ?

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Since 2002 the Old satellite building has been left empty.
It was easy to up- (or downgrade?) it to a LCC terminal.

For some ridiculous reasons they never used it or even considered to use it for low costs flights.

Even worse, they transformed this premium location into luxurious offices, and choose the difficult and expensive way to build a new LCC terminal.
Getting all the nimbies and local villge politicians against the project.

On top they made all their regular (high yield) customers angry.

And finally we have the fastest growing LCC airport in Europe at less than 50 km from BRU.

Really, a management like this desserves not only to be fired, but to be fined for high degree of incompetence.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

We all know what your point is and how you think about this airport. Everyone its opinion and you are absolutely not forced to use this airport. Airports enough, you know.

But repeating, its almost copy/paste, your words every month is not necessary.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

JOVAN wrote: Really, a management like this desserves not only to be fired, but to be fined for high degree of incompetence.
A management's job is to make money. Moving the BAC offices to the satellite gave them the opportunity to renovate the complete '58 terminal from top to bottom. These offices can then be rented out which will make them a lot of money... Plus there still seems to be room enough for the LCC terminal, closer to the other terminals.

Wether or not they made the right calls still is to be seen, but a bit of modesty would not be a bad thing for you, I would advise.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Atlantis wrote:We all know what your point is and how you think about this airport. Everyone its opinion and you are absolutely not forced to use this airport. Airports enough, you know.

But repeating, its almost copy/paste, your words every month is not necessary.
Atlantis, you have your opinion, I have mine.
I find it a shame that this beautiful airport, with so much posibilities is poorly run, not offering the services and accommodation you might expect for the price you pay.

Yeah, making money is what they do.

Many people have alreasdy found ways to avoid the place (crowded, chaotic, messy and dirty in many places)
( Thalys to AMS will be a big hit: eever tried ??)

And, No chance they can even reach the heals of CRL with their low cost terminal.

BRU is an underperformer and that has everything to do with the management.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN wrote:I find it a shame that this beautiful airport, with so much posibilities is poorly run, not offering the services and accommodation you might expect for the price you pay.
It is a nice airport and the airport works thanks to the thousands employees. Don't underestimate their jobs.
You can argue as much as you want about the management but they have made, also in difficult circumstances, the right decissions. We have more foreign long haul carriers then in Sabena's time. Within 2 years the Diabolo will be finished.
Pax are happy at the airport and has won in the past years several awards, besides the same as other airports won. This means that Brussels Airport clients: pax, carriers and tourism business are happy with it.
You always seem to forget that managing Brussels Airport is not the same as managing an other airport or even a company.
It's in a very dense population, no co-operation of the local French communities and the regional governments when it is about aviation itselfs. The rules and restrictions for this airport are very heavy, so you can't attract everybody.
Has a CEO, CFO, COO to leave. Can be, happens all the time, everywhere at any place. It is a jumpseat, you know.
JOVAN wrote: Yeah, making money is what they do.
Oh my god, glad that they wants to make some money. Is that not what every company is supposed to do?
JOVAN wrote: Many people have alreasdy found ways to avoid the place (crowded, chaotic, messy and dirty in many places)
( Thalys to AMS will be a big hit: eever tried ??)
Facts please. We gave always facts so when you are saying that "many" people already left the airport, we want from you those facts.
Don't come with figures like minus one million pax less then last year because that's b....... Those were economique reasons and operational reasons of the carriers and decissions of many companies. Instead of taking a plane to LHR or FRA they have now videoconference rooms to held their meetings.
JOVAN wrote:And, No chance they can even reach the heals of CRL with their low cost terminal.

BRU is an underperformer and that has everything to do with the management.
Its not the purpose of BRU to become bigger then CRL when we talk about LCC. If you thought that, then you were wrong from the beginning.
But I'm not going to start a new discussion about the LCT.
Last edited by sn26567 on 01 Feb 2010, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCodes

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Atlantis wrote: But I'm not going to start a new discussion about the LCT.
Ouf !