Kalitta Air Grounds 8 Planes

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TCAS

Kalitta Air Grounds 8 Planes

Post by TCAS »

As a sign of the slow economy, cargo operator Kalitta announced furlough 200 of its approximately 830 employees and will ground 8 of its 20 aircraft.

The company has reportedly seen losses hit the ‘tens of millions’

In a letter to employees:
Although Kalitta Air has experienced a period of rapid growth, it is currently faced with the aftermath of unprecedented worldwide economic conditions,”

“Maintaining strong business fundamentals requires us to evaluate and adjust every facet of our operations in order to ensure that we are operating in the most efficient manner possible during these volatile times. Unfortunately, passively waiting for things to improve and not being proactive is not an option.”

“Consequently, we are forced to reduce aircraft, crews and support staff accordingly,”
Full Topic (Airliners.net)

Acid-drop

Re: Kalitta Air Grounds 8 Planes

Post by Acid-drop »

Might be bad news for LGG, as it receives many Kalitta planes everyday.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote:Might be bad news for LGG, as it receives many Kalitta planes everyday.
My idea was that since a week or two we see, at Brussels Airport, more Kalitta's then ever. Are they doing like all the other, concentrate on one airport?

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Atlantis wrote:My idea was that since a week or two we see, at Brussels Airport, more Kalitta's then ever.
Are they doing like all the other, concentrate on one airport?
For now it does not look like it.

http://www.kalittaair.com/

When you take a look at their "Schedule", then you see that Kalitta is still sending the majority of their flights through LGG, with only a lesser amount through BRU and an even smaller amount through AMS.

Interestingly Kalitta will operate some CAI-BRU flights in the upcoming days.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Established02 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:My idea was that since a week or two we see, at Brussels Airport, more Kalitta's then ever.
Are they doing like all the other, concentrate on one airport?
For now it does not look like it.

http://www.kalittaair.com/

When you take a look at their "Schedule", then you see that Kalitta is still sending the majority of their flights through LGG, with only a lesser amount through BRU and an even smaller amount through AMS.

Interestingly Kalitta will operate some CAI-BRU flights in the upcoming days.
CAI is hot at the moment. SV also operates some flights a week out of CAI to BRU.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Atlantis wrote:
Acid-drop wrote:Might be bad news for LGG, as it receives many Kalitta planes everyday.
My idea was that since a week or two we see, at Brussels Airport, more Kalitta's then ever. Are they doing like all the other, concentrate on one airport?
concentrate yes, but maybe in LGG ;)
Cheaper for just refueling. BRU is used a lot less I think.
8 Kalitta in one day a few days ago in LGG. Looks like "W" is trying his last move in the middle east before he leaves ...

CAI is hot in LGG too with Ethiopian, but I think it's just for usual fruit and vegetables for the winter ;)
what do you think ?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote: CAI is hot in LGG too with Ethiopian, but I think it's just for usual fruit and vegetables for the winter ;)
what do you think ?
Wait till the beginning of next year. Those African carriers are using then bigger metal to transport fruit and vegetables is huge amounts.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

> Looks like "W" is trying his last move in the middle east

This idea got me worried as well. :?

Let's hope that these 747s are only transporting donuts, burgers and soda cans to pacify the US troops in the Gulf region.

> Cheaper for just refueling. BRU is used a lot less I think.

As you may know, the stop at BRU is not merely for refueling.
There is a substantial amount of unloading and reloading being done on the K4 flights at BRU.

Acid-drop, who is the handling agent of Kalitta at LGG?

At BRU and AMS this appears to be "IAS Inter Aviation Services".

The Netherlands:
IAS Inter Aviation Services B.V.
Evert van de Beekstraat 40
1118 CL Schiphol-Airport
P.O. Box 7548
1118 ZG Schiphol-Airport
Tel: +31.20.316 0380
Fax: +31.20.604 1431
E-mail: Ams.kalittaair@iasaviation.com

Belgium:
IAS Inter Aviation Services B.V.B.A
Brucargo Building 709, Room 132
B-1931 Zaventem
Belgium
Tel: +32.2.752.3137
Fax +32.2.852.3139
E-mail: bru.info@iasaviation.com

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

For LGG, it's mostly a refueling stop between (most of the time) Newark and Bahrain. (nato pipeline, cheap fuel, 24/7, ....).
I've seen some Kalitta in Cargo north once, but i'm not sure if it was for long term parking or real good handling ...
EDIT : found no info. It seems to be only a technical stop. Only they use it really a lot.
EDIT2: The Kalitta trafic in BRU is most likely for DHL
Last edited by Acid-drop on 09 Dec 2008, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Atlantis wrote:
Acid-drop wrote: CAI is hot in LGG too with Ethiopian, but I think it's just for usual fruit and vegetables for the winter ;)
what do you think ?
Wait till the beginning of next year. Those African carriers are using then bigger metal to transport fruit and vegetables is huge amounts.
You mean we should get even more trafic in JAN, FEB than now in NOV, DEC ?
(they use southern air 747)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote:
Atlantis wrote:
what do you think ?
You mean we should get even more trafic in JAN, FEB than now in NOV, DEC ?
(they use southern air 747)
I don't know how many times ET is now flying on LGG but during Jan, Feb and March they fly more often or with bigger metal. At the beginning of this year they flew during those months with B757 and B747 on Brussels Airport.

Oct, Nov and Dec are absolutely no busy months in cargo.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote:For LGG, it's mostly a refueling stop between (most of the time) Newark and Bahrain. (nato pipeline, cheap fuel, 24/7, ....).
I've seen some Kalitta in Cargo north once, but i'm not sure if it was for long term parking or real good handling ...
EDIT : found no info. It seems to be only a technical stop. Only they use it really a lot.
EDIT2: The Kalitta trafic in BRU is most likely for DHL
So, Kalitta is using LGG mostly for refueling. That means that LGG has no, or a little bit, revenue when it comes to Kalitta.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Indeed, Kalitta is not the most profitable client for LGG ;)
It brings only nice numbers at the end of the year, and thus showing an incredible growth to the world, which is good and cheap marketing, imho ;)

About ET, they fly only southern air 747, and it's already quite intense, 15 flights / week or so ? (Someone has real numbers?). I thought it was only for food and flowers, so I didn’t expect more traffic in JAN-MAR. The winter has begun many month ago here, lol.

(off topic but LGG is gonna receive again tonight a nice Evergreen 747)

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Atlantis wrote: I don't know how many times ET is now flying on LGG but during Jan, Feb and March they fly more often or with bigger metal. At the beginning of this year they flew during those months with B757 and B747 on Brussels Airport.

Oct till Dec is actually high season in cargo terms. Jan, Feb is low season.
Please have a look at Brutrends 07, page 20 shows the cargo traffic per month.
Unless you were talking about ET only, Atlantis? As I have no info about their operation. (I do know they import perishables.)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

OO-VEX wrote:
Atlantis wrote: I don't know how many times ET is now flying on LGG but during Jan, Feb and March they fly more often or with bigger metal. At the beginning of this year they flew during those months with B757 and B747 on Brussels Airport.

Oct till Dec is actually high season in cargo terms. Jan, Feb is low season.
Please have a look at Brutrends 07, page 20 shows the cargo traffic per month.
Unless you were talking about ET only, Atlantis? As I have no info about their operation. (I do know they import perishables.)
2007 was an exceptional cargo year for Brussels Airport. RJ and Cargo B were two new big carriers with a lot of volume a day. Jet Airways recorded a lot of cargo with their pax a/c. Per month, we speak about +9000 ton more cargo in the last months of 2007.

Generally we can speak about a low season between November and the end of February.

About ET: they have busy months between December and March when they transport flowers to Europe.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

About the "low season", I cant realy believe it's in the end of the year. For AP for one it is normaly the busiest moment in the year, just not now due to the economical crises we experience.