Landings on 07L or R, who can explain?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

stefanel

Landings on 07L or R, who can explain?

Post by stefanel »

Hello,

In the last two years, we've had our shares of 07 landings, after decades of nothing. However, 07R was used for higher standards than 07L and because its approach is in a straight line, as opposed to the one on 07L.
But in the last days, with the NE winds, all landings are on 07L all day long, except on Sunday during a couple of hours in the afternoon when 07R was used.
I'm getting totally confused about the runway in use at BRU... Who could please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Airbus330lover

Re: Landings on 07L or R, who can explain?

Post by Airbus330lover »

02/20 closed....

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Airbus330lover wrote:02/20 closed....
what's that got to do with my question? I'm asking why 07L and not 07R...

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

Maybe something for 'the one and only which runway is in use @ EBBR' - topic ?

willem

Post by willem »

maybe something to do with the works at beginning of 07L (taxiways) so 07R is preferred for T/O (maybe noise aswell?)

Lamal

Post by Lamal »

I think it has something to do with the fact that the approach for 07R runs over the village of Zaventem. And to spare the villagers, they chose 07L.
And a second reason is, according to me, the fact that aircraft can vacate easilly 07L. If an aircraft touches late on the 07R, it has to backtrack, taking alot of time.

Just my idea :) :D

Lamal

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

We had indeed for years never, or only a few times, landings on 07L. But they are now, for months, testing all runways about their capacity. At the beginning of this week: monday: all day long landings on 07L. Tuesday: morning -> takeoff 25R and afternoon -> landings on 07L. Today the same situation.

07L will be used for all landings: pax and cargo and takeoffs of the cargo airplanes. 07R will be used for all pax departs. There are also plans to put new ILS at the end of 07L or 07R.

They will fly again confirm the wind conditions.

I hope this will be an answer to your question

AirBozz

Post by AirBozz »

it's much more complicated than this...

runway capacity is never "tested"
If changes are studied they are "tested" in the simulator - never with real traffic
everything is calculated and defined.

Safety is the number one concern.

07L VORDME approach is available since the procedure has been published (charts) last year in the AIP.
Also keep in mind that 07L is not a regular approach but an offset approach which takes the airplanes via the "kanaal" route.

07L has indeed more exits available than 07R - the landing interval time between 2 flights is higher on 07R and as such reduces capacity
less capacity = more delays

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

As a neighbor of the airport living in Evere I can tell you I prefer to get landings than take-offs. They are quieter and you can see the planes better!

07L they pass in front of the bedroom's balcony, 07R the pass in front of the living room's balcony! :D

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

AirBozz wrote:07L VORDME approach is available since the procedure has been published (charts) last year in the AIP.
Also keep in mind that 07L is not a regular approach but an offset approach which takes the airplanes via the "kanaal" route.

07L has indeed more exits available than 07R - the landing interval time between 2 flights is higher on 07R and as such reduces capacity
less capacity = more delays
Hi,

how come this procedure was only published last year? I don't understand, as it has planes overfly areas with a high population density, and it is offset.
It's true that Easterly winds have become stronger and more frequent lately, but I'm still wondering.

And my main concern was that I don't understand why they are switching 07L and R at once. Like on Sunday, in the middle of the afternoon, 07R was used for landings instead of 07L for a while. Why?

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

stefanel wrote:And my main concern was that I don't understand why they are switching 07L and R at once. Like on Sunday, in the middle of the afternoon, 07R was used for landings instead of 07L for a while. Why?
Military airshow on 25R/07L.

Rutger