Rumour: Northwest starting atlantic service to BRU with B757

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

Robin_Bamps wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
fokker_f27 wrote:Good idea! Since there is no direct connection yet between Detroit and Brussels...
... since Sabena stopped flying the route!
This sounds interesting, but...

Question 1 : When has Sabena stopped flying the route ? I have the timetables from 2000 and 2001 in my collection and at that time there wasn't a direct BRU-DTW flight anymore.

Question 2 : Why has Sabena stopped flying the route ? Was that because of the route strategy of the SR management ? Or was the competition from the KL/NW alliance with about 4 daily flights (ca. 1000 chairs) at the nearby AMS hub (only 200km from BRU) too strong, resulting in low loadfactors ?

I would doubt if NW opens a flight to BRU because it would mean direct competition against the hub at AMS (when the Belgian passengers now flying BRU-AMS-DTW disappear, it would mean a loss of passengers for KLM on the BRU-AMS flights, and KLM is NW's biggest partner). But still I'm curious to see how this rumour will turn out eventually.

Regards, Robin Bamps.
To my knowledge, Sabena never had a direct service between DTW and BRU. They used to fly from DTW to BRU via YMX Montreal for a while, then they flew over Boston.. (I used to fly these routes a lot).. But let me tell you.. the schedule (hours) were very bad.. Lot's of delays in Montreal as they were doing a shutttle in service from other airports... (Sabena was operating a 737 between DTW and YMX) The other options out of DTW to BRU were via Panam and London..or via Chicago direct to BRU on AA..Anyway I quit flying Sabena out of DTW because of the hours, the delays and the lousy service.
(once you fly with three kids..)

Sabena quit operating this route because (may be) of people like me having similar conclussions.. Keep in mind that the largest ex-Belgian-US population lives in the Detroit area..

I hope NW will start doing this route to BRU.. because the hop over AMS is very bad.. Out of the 10 flights I had a 50% cancelling or delay with the puddle jumper KLM flights between AMS and BRU..or ANR in the earlier days..

Just sharing my experience...

unilitha

Isn't the biggest the best ?

Post by unilitha »

Hey guys you seem to be very happy to see 757-200 at BRU but even if BRU is the city of the 767 I would be very sad in the case of a replacement of the 767 by some thin 757 . I mean if there are more fly from america why not but only if the actual routes are not deleted ( expl. : if CO add a second daily flight it'll be great even if it's with a 757 but if they change this big 767-400 by a 757 >>> would be a loss for BRU) . Does anyone when would NW starts this route ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Zenfookpower wrote:To my knowledge, Sabena never had a direct service between DTW and BRU. They used to fly from DTW to BRU via YMX Montreal for a while, then they flew over Boston.. (I used to fly these routes a lot).. But let me tell you.. the schedule (hours) were very bad.. Lot's of delays in Montreal as they were doing a shutttle in service from other airports... (Sabena was operating a 737 between DTW and YMX)
Sabena had a direct service to Detroit, but not a non-stop service. At the beginning a B747 was flying the route BRU-YMX-DTW. The 737 between DTW and YMX only came in later.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

For all the good reasons already mentioned, it perfectly makes sense to me also.
Right company, right a/c type, right schedule, right route.
However this is again a terminating flow...
Too bad for the transit flows still underdevelopped at Bru !

SN did flow the route long ago ... if I remember well still using a 747 and stopping in YUL...and the frequency was not daily ! The route did'nt last long for lack of profitability. Does it surprises you ?
;o)

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Some hard facts about SN and Detroit.

Route opened on April 8 1980 with B707, as fifth destination in USA, and the first European carrier to this city.
Initially 5x rotation a week (3x B707 2x B747) all via YUL.
From winter 80-81 scaled down to 3x rotations with DC10 via YUL.
From winter 83-84 on a Sabena B737 was leased to Nordair (of Canada) which provided the link between YUL-DTW. In summer 84-85 back to SN DC10's via ORD or BOS (from 86).
This scenario was repeated for three years.
From summer 88 on B727s of Air Canada with SN flightnumbers were used for a couple of years between YUL-DTW, making a definite end on SN appearance at DTW.
Afterwards there were always co-operations between Sabena and American companies like AA, UA, NW and OH with connections via their respectively hubs.

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

sn26567 wrote:
Zenfookpower wrote:To my knowledge, Sabena never had a direct service between DTW and BRU. They used to fly from DTW to BRU via YMX Montreal for a while, then they flew over Boston.. (I used to fly these routes a lot).. But let me tell you.. the schedule (hours) were very bad.. Lot's of delays in Montreal as they were doing a shutttle in service from other airports... (Sabena was operating a 737 between DTW and YMX)
Sabena had a direct service to Detroit, but not a non-stop service. At the beginning a B747 was flying the route BRU-YMX-DTW. The 737 between DTW and YMX only came in later.
Indeed you jogged my memory..But for me this was NOT a direct flight..I cannot recall that I ever flew direct from DTW to BRU..The delays in YMX were too long..Anyway I am sure that customers had a reason why they did not took Sabena anymore..(I for sure had one..)

Let's see what will happen with NW

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

757 fan mode ON:
Dear Mr Northwest,

Could you please send your beautiful B-757's to BRU :?: (If possible I would like a mixed choice of livery's)

Thanks a lot !!
fan mode OFF :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously though, I think it'll be nice to have additional intercontinental presence in BRU.
One would think that this could also drive some fares to the US lower... wait and see I suppose :roll:

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Thank you Skystef for refreshing my memories ...

BTW the current SN is certainly not in a position to shut the door to any alliance among the 3 possibles, Skyteam included of course ...

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

nwa757 wrote:That would be great! It would be good use of those 752s that are in storage right now.

I wonder if NW would put the new World Business Class in those planes, or leave them in the domestic configuration?
Flying a plane in domestic seating arrangements is a sure fire way to fail. You need more leg room. Using the standard seat and removing two or three rows of coach seats, you can give each coach passenger (about) an additional 3 inches of leg room. After an 8 hour flight, you knees don't taste so good!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Today there was an article at Luchtvaartnieuws about the "possible" ending of the cooperation between Northwest and KLM.

They had a thirteen year contract that will end in 2007. KLM will not totally break with Northwest, but it has to be change.

KLM find a very strong partner in Air France and they are also playing in a different allicance.

So, in that way there is no obstruction for Northwest to come to Belgium.

vflies

Post by vflies »

Atlantis wrote:
KLM find a very strong partner in Air France and they are also playing in a different allicance.

KLM, NWA (and Continental) joined Skyteam on the exact same day!
They're very much in the same alliance, together with Air France, KLM's main share holder.

As Robin pointed out, it wouldn't make much sense for NWA to open a route to BRU, unless it was a business jet service (Privat Air) as coach passengers will keep flying via CDG or AMS if they get cheaper fares.

At this point it's still only just a rumor...

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

I hope NW will cut their alliance with KLM..I never had any good experience with the KLM puddle jumpers.. NW knows exactly what daily traffic they have on their AMS route..Each time I take NW to AMS and talk to people, they all have other destinations then AMS..From that vantage point it is clear to me that BRU has much more to offer.. A central hub for the EU railroad system.. Lots of regional carriers and I am sure this will be a good thing for SN and BRU. (Of course Belgian politics can change all that in a flash..)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

BIAC expect Northwest for the summer 07 at BRU with the B757-200. But BIAC didn't want to give more info.