Attractiveness of the 'latest news' section

Give your feedback, make new suggestions to improve https://www.aviation24.be, is there anything else we can do for you?
sn26567

Attractiveness of the 'latest news' section

Post by sn26567 »

Looking at the statistics (number of views), it seems that a news item posted in the forum is read more and faster than when it is published in the 'latest' news section.

This is not normal. The forum on 'Aviation news' should be used to discuss news items, not to disclose them. The news should appear first in the 'latest news' section. How could the webmaster give more sex appeal to his 'latest news' section?

A hint might be that the ofrul publishes the messages instantly. the latest news has to wait until one of the administrators goes through the submissions, and when no administrator is there, nothing happens.

Just some food for thought!

Keep on with the good work, guys.
André
ex Sabena #26567

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

André,

Isn’t it normal that the news is faster on the forum than on the news page? On the forum are we whit 1025 persons to look for some news, the administrators are just whit 3. You wrote that the news on the forum is read more and faster. But how do you know that? If the news item is not long you can read it without clicking on it, so I think that there is than no registration of the readers of that article. When you want to read a topic on the forum you need to click and you are registered as a viewer.
There is maybe a solution I think so. If the administrators can put just the headlines of the news on the top of the page, you can see direct, when you open the page, the last news.

Dave

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Maybe it is the position of the forum/news? Now that the latest forum messages come earlier on the home page, people are not scrolling down to the news section?

Alternatively new members may not realise how to do what. Perhaps an email upon joining to direct members to the correct place.

Personally my initial view of the site goes to the forums then in more depth if I have time

Just my three penn'orth - feel free to flame me!

Meerkat :jump:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hello all,

I allready arrive home a few hours, because I wanted to think about this item first before I replied.

In the past (few months ago) I got the help from Beco, a financial expert who is helping this website with publishing all aviation-related news. I asked him if he wanted to become an admin which he accepted with pleasure. After that other websites who loved to have recent aviation news on their website asked if they could have our famous backend.php-file ( https://www.aviation24.be/backend.php ). Websites like e.g. www.atcbox.com use this file as you can see on their right-handside, also websites like www.moreover.com are really using this file. I really want that most of the people are seeing the latest aviation news. Maybe it is suggestable for people to have a look at the middle of the page or by clicking on the Latest News

Now people who want to Submit News are willing to accept that it can be possible that it takes up to 24H before their message gets posted on the first page of this website. It is sometimes allready not up-to-date anymore before one of the admins can have a look at it and accept the news. Actually the news on the front page is supposed to be a short update on the latest aviaiton news. That's why I suggest to all news submitters that they post their news via the submit news but only a short version of the facts. Secondly the news submitters are free to post their latest news in the forum, where all aviation enthusiasts will have a look at it.

Now the reason why some of the messages on the frontpage doesn't have the views as they should have is because most of the people surf on this website and look at the message. The only reason that the message on the frontpage gets a 'view' is when someone pushes the 'comment'-button or when somebody enters directly to the message (like coming from e.g. www.atcbox.com)

Now I will have a look how to create a 'block' on the middle-upper-part of this website so people can have a look at the e.g. 10 or 15 (depending what the user has selected) latest news-topics. Must not be so difficult to make.

Good night!

greetings,

luchtzak
:rock:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hello again,

maybe some of you noticed allready the new block on the frontpage, it gives us an overview of the latest news.

Tell me what you think...

ciao,

luchtzak

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:maybe some of you noticed allready the new block on the frontpage, it gives us an overview of the latest news.

Tell me what you think...

ciao,

luchtzak
Thanks for your efforts, Luchtzak. I think that your idea solved a big part of the problem. Time will tell.
André
ex Sabena #26567

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Looks good to me.

meerkat

Andries

Post by Andries »

Great job ! I think the latest new will become a bit more popular now ...

Greetz,

EBOS
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!