LAX - LHR "shortcut".

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
CaptainEd

LAX - LHR "shortcut".

Post by CaptainEd »

LAX-LHR flight - F/O on a TWA B-747

One day I was paired with an old character of a captain, Arleigh Nixon. This guy was one of a kind. Sometimes irritating, sometimes amusing, but always good for a laugh.

I had an old squadron buddy, Ted Rayl, working ATC out of Palmdale. Cleared out of 18,000, we always get a call to switch to the sector in which Ted was a controller.

I spoke with Ted the previous night, gave him our EDT and flight #, and arranged a deal with him.

(Arleigh was always betting, usually a setup where the odds favored himself. By this leg of the trip, he was into my pocket for $50.)

Passing 18,000 I was switched to center, and when I checked in, I recognised Ted's voice. I said to Arleigh, "Let's request direct PP to LHR." He replied "Sheeeit Ed, have you gone mad? Those sumbitches wouldn't do that!".

I said "Arleigh, you're into me for $50. What say double or nothing?"

He shouted "You're on sucker, go ahead and reguest it!" He was salvitating.

I requested PP to LHR, and Ted came over loud and clear "Roger TWA, cleared PP LHR direct."

You should have seen Arleigh. He almost went into shock.

:lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It's nice to have connections!
André
ex Sabena #26567

lastrow

Post by lastrow »

'seems to be a very funny story. sounds really cool. what would be the usual number of ATCs you would have called on the way to LHR?

-lr.

PP = Palmdale ATC?

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

That is "Cleared Present Position direct London Heathrow."

Then on the INS, select PP to coordinates for LHR, make a heading correction, and when on the new proper heading, engage AP to the INS.

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Good one Captain Ed :wink: :laugh:

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

The direct path would be the initial heading shown on the INS.

Depends on your exact position.

Boeing747-867

Post by Boeing747-867 »

Any flight time saving by the way?