AF - Manchester to Paris CDG

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

AF - Manchester to Paris CDG

Post by Comet »

This was our last holiday to Paris, in 2002. Paris was OK when you were seeing the sites, but most of the time I was there I was counting down the days to flying to Belgium, or wishing I was in Belgium. It was very much the "B side" compared to Brugge.

We left Scarborough at 09:10, on the direct train to Manchester Airport. We arrived in MAN just after midday, and waited to check in. Our flight was AF2269, an early afternoon departure. We checked in, and were given seats 9A and 9B, on what we hoped would be an A320. After check in we ate in Lancaster Brasserie (where we hope to eat again in the near future :mrgreen:)

We strolled round the airport, and saw the check in for the SNBA flight to Brussels. "Lucky b*ggers" I remarked. VC10 said "well we're going to Paris." "Exactly" was my reply. I wished I was on the SN flight instead of the AF one.

We were to fly on F-GFKQ.

Our aircraft parked in Manchester.

We were greeted by the always-pleasant Air France cabin crew, and settled into our seats. The flight was to last 65 minutes, and there was cloud expected on the way.

As we taxied, the safety demonstration was carried out, and as I looked through the window, I saw my first ever SNBA aircraft parked at the terminal. And I wished I was on it more than anything else!!

We took off past the Aviation Viewing Park and saw all the spotters. There was alot of cloud, which spoilt the view.

The snack onboard consisted of a cheese and ham baguette (we have never been offered anything else on AF) with dry cheese. I didn't eat mine.

The flight was uneventful, and we landed in the vile CDG in good time. As we left the airport, I saw another SNBA aircraft and also my first, and only, AF Concorde (a back view).

We caught the Roissybus into the centre, and the Metro to our hotel, as we did not want to bother with the incompetent Paris taxi drivers.

After four days of being baked alive, it was time to fly home. And I was glad about that! I hoped everything would be on time because I had an "appointment" with a certain ARJ at 15:05.

Part of the fun was getting to the airport bus! This was to leave from enar the Opera. The hotel staff repeatedly tried to phone a taxi, but the taxis never turned up. So we set off to the Metro station. All the trains were full and so we could not get on with luggage. Eventually we got to the bus terminal and then the airport.

In the vile CDG, we found a filthy window which seemed to be the only place in T2 where you could actually see anything, and I filmed a Tunisair A320. Then we ate some pizza in the basement. I truly detest that airport!!

We waited for our flight in a ground level holding area, and it was held up at another airport, so we were waiting a while. I wasn't pleased. Eventually, F-GFKE arrived. We were flown by Captain Marcel.

There was some onboard turbulence, and the crew were very friendly. I had a Stella (genuine) to drink. A group of American pensioners were travelling round Europe, adn they were on our flight, in the seats in front of us.

The descent and approach were very rocky, with the plane going from side to side just before touchdown. But the main thing was that I was in time to see our little Belgian friend. We mae our way to the cafe area and I bagged the ARJ as it arrived from Brussels, my first SNBA aircraft on video.

Nine weeks later we flew to Brussels from London City on VG158 operated by OO-VLQ.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: AF - Manchester to Paris CDG

Post by sn26567 »

Nice report, and excellent memory you got, Louise (unless you keep notes for a long time).
Comet wrote:we landed in the vile CDG in good time. As we left the airport, I saw another SNBA aircraft.
An SNBA in CDG in the afternoon? Quite rare. At that time SNBA was flying only in the morning to CDG: a positioning flight from BRU to CDG, a regular flight CDG-BRU-CDG, and then again a positioning flight back to BRU. Maybe you saw the latter that was delayed?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

The things I remember most about that day were the SNBA aircraft and the Concorde, memories of the flight are patchy, apart from the sandwich, the friendly crew and turbulent landing in MAN. The flight out was on a Sunday, maybe that made a difference to the SNBA flights?

The holiday was spoilt by the heat, there was no escape from it. We had a lovely day in Lille and a ride on the TGV, but the heat was more than I could stand and I was just glad to leave.

I enjoyed all my AF flights though, and all the crews we experienced were very friendly and professional. Just a pity they have such an awful hub airport because that would put me off flying long haul with them.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise