Northwest: GRB-MSP-PDX on A320 and 757

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
nwa757

Northwest: GRB-MSP-PDX on A320 and 757

Post by nwa757 »

My family and I, were flying out to Portland, OR to go to my uncle's wedding. After the wedding, we were planning to go and visit Boeing’s Everett plant which is about a 3 ½ hour drive from Portland. We decided to go with our family's favorite airline, Northwest Airlines. When we booked the tickets on www.nwa.com, I was excited to find out that we were flying on an A320, which is an aircraft type I hadn’t flown on for about two years.

9/15/2005
Northwest Airlines
Green Bay, Wisconsin (GRB) to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota (MSP)
Flight: NW1713
Aircraft: Airbus A320-200
Class of service: First (upgraded from economy)
Departs: 6:40AM (Central Daylight Savings Time)
Arrives: 7:41AM (Central Daylight Savings Time)

When we boarded the A320, I said hi to the Northwest gate agent, Mary Jo, who I had met a couple of years ago at Sammy’s Pizza Restaurant in Green Bay. Once boarding the A320, I went up to the cockpit to chat with the pilots before departure. I told our captain, Michael, that I had seen them come in to GRB the night before, because I was practicing touch and go’s in the Cessna 172. I found out that he remembered seeing me and told me that he had to report me in sight to the tower. Once I left the cockpit, Mary Jo told me that there was one open seat in First Class and that I was upgraded. I was thrilled by this!

We were delayed leaving the gate because one of our batteries had an abnormal charge. The ground crew restarted the battery and everything was fine.

Then, we took off and the rest of the flight was normal. While on climb, we did experience some moderate turbulence which for me, was great (I love turbulence). Michael and our First Officer (don’t remember his name) made up some time in the air and we arrived in MSP on time.

9/15/2005
Northwest Airlines
Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota (MSP) to Portland, Oregon (PDX)
Flight: NW87
Aircraft: Boeing 757-351
Class of service: Economy
Departs: 9:24AM (Central Daylight Savings Time)
Arrives: 10:59AM (Pacific Daylight Savings Time)

I wasn’t really thrilled about flying on the 757-300 again, but my family and I didn’t really have a choice. This is the only aircraft that flies from MSP to PDX. Don’t get me wrong, of course I love the 757, but I have flown on it so many times now (about 10 times) that I would have really rather flown on a DC-10 (a plane I haven’t flown on for years) or a A330 (a plane I have yet to experience).

The flight was a relatively boring one for me. It didn’t have any turbulence which disappointed me. While on board the aircraft, I purchased the gray NWA snack pack for $3.00 USD. It was well worth the money.

I enjoyed the approach into PDX. We flew over the downtown area which was great for me because I had never been to Portland before. We landed in PDX on time.

Overall, I had two great flights with Northwest. The AMFA strike and Chapter 11 bankruptcy didn’t negatively affect NWA’s operations one bit.

Look for my return trip, "Northwest: SEA-MSP-GRB on 757 and CRJ" in this forum sometime during the weekend.
Last edited by nwa757 on 18 Feb 2006, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
Onward and Upward...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great report. Thanks, Trevor.
André
ex Sabena #26567

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Good T/R Trevor, can't wait for the sequel :wink:

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

I am glad you guys liked the trip report. It was one of my favorite trips with Northwest.
bigjulie wrote:can't wait for the sequel :wink:
Here it is: https://www.aviation24.be/posts13424-highlight.html :D
Onward and Upward...

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report!!