ABZ-CDG-ORY-PTP Return August 2005

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
chunk

ABZ-CDG-ORY-PTP Return August 2005

Post by chunk »

I had accumulated a fair number of Flying Dutchman points in the last year so before changing to Flying BLue I cashed some in for business class tickets on AF to Guadeloupe for a twelve night vacation.

ABZ - CDG (ERJ145)

Scheduled for 0620, we were told at check in that we wont be leaving until 7.30. But this is Servisair staff at check in. Who are idiots. Without any announcement the flight was brought forward (eh?) and we were on board and ready to go by 0645. The woman at check in was worse than useless and couldnt't tell us anything about or transfer procedures or anything - jsut that she couldn't print a forwarding boarding pass and we have to pick up our bags at cdg. Flight was fine and the young lady that had cabin crew detail informed me that the AF bus to ORY was free if on an AF ticket. Decision made then!

CDG - ORY (Bus)

After waiting a while at the transfer desk a helpful lady took our details, gave us bus tickets and checked us in for our flight from ORY - Pointe a Pitre. We pick up our bags and go to the bus stop and there are only 8 people waiting for Orly. By the time the bus arrived it had grown to about twenty and there was a free for all. The bus driver let us on but almost forgot the luggage - I had to run up to the front to tell him to not to go as our bags were on the tarmac. To be fair - he said he can take 8...so we got on - no problem but when i pointed the baggage was left he opened the door again and this family of 6 geniuses clambered aboard and took my seat and any others that were going. Even the 2 yr old had a seat. So i had to stand for 40 minutes. Ever heard of a queing system?

Get to ORY pretty quickly and head to check in. How old is that place....and it was chaos. Thankfully we were in l'espace d'affaires so no queue for us. Very friendly lady checked our bags and pointed us to the lounge.

The lounge was pretty small and called the patio. Presumeably as there was a patio. Except the patio bit of the patio had been closed since 2003 - which was a shame as it was a beautiful sunny day and the lounge was very busy. Staff were friendly though and made announcements in English with regard to the PTP flight even though it was the clear we were the only non french (or at least not very good french) speakers within about 10 miles of Orly. THey also kept us in the lounge until everyone in Tempo had boarded (over 500 pax on this plane today - christ I don;t recall ever having been on anything that busy before).

ORY - PTP (B747-300)
We board the plane at the time its supposed to depart and go to our seats 3L and K. Cabin crew ask us if we prefer to speak French or English as it is apparently obvious that I am either an a) moron, b) from some backwater part of France that hosts people that talk funny or c) foreign. For the sake of the frenchm language I suggest sticking with English as it will save time and offence! We both got glasses of champagne.....

The seat was pretty comfortable and we could stretch out after take off. Drinks were then served and we both had a nice Bordeaux wine. Then lunch. Starter was excellent - strips of peppered smoked salmon and salad. Delicious. My main course was not so great - Creole prawns and rice. Not much flavour though - my girlfriends was great on the other hand. Filet of beef and a potato gratin thing. The plate of cheese was very good and we skipped dessert - it was a chocolate cake with chili in it. Actually I have had that kind of cake efore and it is good - we were just full.

The entertainment on this old plain was PTV's but there was little choice and aside for dozing I watched the dreadful Miss Congeniality 2. Really crappy. Passed time though and a snak was provided before landing - pastrami with celery salad. Pastrami was fine. Celery???? I can eat most htings but that stuff is truly disgusting. Landed at PTP without any problems and through the airport in about 15 minutes courtesy of priorty tags on the luggae i suspect!

PTP - ORY

After a nice (though expensive) 12 nights in Guadeloupe it was time to go back. We got to PTP about 3 hrs before departure and got our passes for seats 4K and L. We head to the lounge...but in true caribbean style it doesn;t open until 1 hour before boarding? Work that out?!!!! As it happens it doesnt matter as it was pretty crap.

Boarded quickly and took our seats thanks to the friendly crew who again asked which language we prefer....a nice touch i think. Take off (probably the same plane) was smooth and pretty much on time and quickly drinks were served. Again we had the bordeaux, which was good. Dinner followed and again the started was delicious - mixed smoked trout alsmon and sea bream. Very good. I folowed with Duck and potato (it was ok), my girlfriend had sea bream which wasn;t ok. Another good cheese plate followed and we both skipped dessert again. Didn't watch any movies this time as slpt for a fair part of th trop off and on. Woke quite often however as the flight was almost always bumpy - never very bad but constant. Plane landed in time around 0845) at ORY and we collected our boarding passes and bus tix at the transfer desk for our connection to CDG. The luggage hall was cramped and a total mess but we got out quick as the bags were first out and waited for the bus. No rugby scrum this time round and everyone got on without trouble -the journey taking again about 45 mins. Then the fun started.....

We got sent to zone 10 at cdg (about 1030 am) to dump our luggage so we could go through to the lounge. The most obnoxious airline employee I have come across since NWA 4 months ago took a look at me (as I was wearing a casual shirt and flip flops) and snootily asked if I am business class. The attitude was appaling. The whole reason I NEVER wear a shirt and tie on a plane (except when necessary) is so I am not associated with business travellers. In my experience - the rudest people I have ever come across in airports are business travellers (and I am one so see plenty of them!!!). To have this woman ask me in such a manner was out of order and it took all my will power not to explode then. Then it got worse as she informed us that despite already having checked in for the flight we couldn;t put our bags through as our flight wa more than 2 hours away. Eh? She smiled as she told us as well.....

So we had to hang about the check in area - despite having business class tickets - for 2 hours before we could put our bags through. How ridiculous is that. Turns out she lied as well - it is closer to three hours so we only had to kick our heels for an hour. Pain in the arse none the less.

The last leg of the flight was from CDG to ABZ on the ERJ145 again and there really is nothing to report! Flight was smooth, drink was served with a small snack and landed on time!

Overall - I am not sure I will do the transfer from CDG to ORY again if it can be avoided thanks to the experience on the return. However - other than one rude AF employee at CDG (the staff on board and at ORY were great) - it was another good AF experience...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for very nice report, chunk. Was there a separate business class on te ERJ between ABZ and CDG?

French airport staff attitude is rather typical, I'm afraid.
André
ex Sabena #26567

chunk

Post by chunk »

Thanks Andre

There is no seperate Biz class on the ERJ but they usually put the biz class passengers at the front. Unless you get a Servisair employee at ABZ airport. She puts you at the back - next to the engines. If it wasn;t for the fact that it makes no difference when you get off the plane as it is a bus to the terminal - i would have been pretty p*ssed off!

I have to say that all of the AF ground staff at ORY and all but one at CDG were very friendly and helpful.....except for one!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Good report Chunk, the inflight food sounds very good and is making me hungry just reading about it.

I have found the AF crews to be friendly and polite, though the check in staff at CDG can be a bit thick, I know from experience! I wouldn't fly AF long haul becuase it would mean connecting through my most hated airport, I cannot abide CDG.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Thanks for sharing this interesting report with us, although I know that you prefer newer aircraft, I would love to fly on the B747-300 once (especially in business class).

But altough I can see your point with the business travellers, I think when flying business class one should dress up to some descent standards. No need for tie/suit/whatever, but I has to look nice and not some shoddy-ass clothing.

But that's just old-fashioned me. :roll: :wink:

chunk

Post by chunk »

I was wearing a collared but comforatble shirt, 3/4 length shorts / trousers and some (bloody expensive if i do say so!!!) flip flops and was not untidy though I guess that is down to point of view! I dont travel business too often but always wear jeans and a t-shirt or polo shirt. Its my ticket and I'll do what I want...that said there is a line of course! How people can wear a shirt and tie on a 3 hr flight (never mind 13 hrs!) is beyond me.....is it some sort of self punishment? No wonder many of them act like a-holes!

As for CDG - if you are going through Term 2 I find it OK and reasonably straightforward. Certainly a lot better than Heathrow for sure......