Brussels-Barcelona-Malaga on Iberia July 23rd

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
AFApresident

Brussels-Barcelona-Malaga on Iberia July 23rd

Post by AFApresident »

On July 23rd I flew Brussels-Barcelona-Malaga on board Iberia. I took some pictures and while they´re certainly not top quality I would nonetheless like to share them with you.

I am in no way an expert in photo editing the only thing I did was shrinking them to 40% of their original size so they would fit a little better in this forum , the original size was 2272 * 1704.

Our flight was IB4215 to Barcelona with a sheduled departure at 19:10 connecting in Barcelona to IB1242 with a scheduled departure at 22:25.

We checked in about 2 hours for departure so check in was really fast. (3 counters open for "only" 6 families/persons checking in). We then immediately proceeded to through passport control and begun our long "hike" to the A pier, luckily our gate was at the beginning of the A pier. Nonetheless since we were well in advance of our boarding time, I walked all the way to the end and took some pictures while enjoying the view of the unfortunately not so busy airfield.

The plane from Barcelona arrived late and hence we departed about 20 min late. Luckily we had a good tailwind so we arrived in Barcelona on time.

Our plane was an Iberia A320 (I do not have the registration) and it was parked next to EC-HIV an Iberia B757-200 bound for Madrid.

We pushed back from stand 145 all the way across R4 to taxiway S and while pushing back I could also take this picture of an Sn Brussels Airlines Avro jet who was taxxing to its gate.

We taxied to rwy 25R and I grabbed the opportunity to take a picture of the new tower as well.

While holding into position of rwy 25R I took an other picture of the Antonov 124.

We took off over Brussels center ("de kanaalroute") which gave us a good view of Brussels, sadly the weather was not good enough for a good picture.

In flight service on Iberia is crap, you don´t get anything not even water (unless you pay 2 euros). We didn´t get any food either, luckily I was prepared by all the other comments I had read already so I had brought my own sandwich and water. Still a carrier who doesn't offer free drinks is not worthy to call themselves a full cost carrier.
Nonetheless time went fast and before I well realised we had flown already 1.5 hours we commenced our descend into Barcelona. With a smooth but firm landing.

My last picture was when we boarded our plane again an Iberia A320 from Barcelona to Malaga where we arrived 1hour behind schedule on a 1.5 hour flight. Because some stupid woman´s dog had run away on the airport in Barcelona. How stupid can you be in not putting it in a small container. :twisted: As you can see on the picture we boarded via the stairs on the apron, so it ran lose on the airport aprons and the firemen had to come to search the dog as it could be very dangerous for planes. Unfortunately the dog wasn´t found in over an hour of searching so in the end we just departed without the dog yet with the crying woman.

Iberia brings you safely from A to B, but compared to KLM and SN Brussels Airlines that is about the only thing they do. Luckily I just love the flying and I´m not too picky yet on a small delay or no food or drinks, but otherwise I strongly suggest you take another carrier for your flight.

Hope you enjoyed my first basic flight report,

Thomas

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

pictures should now display correctly.

OO-SBZ

Re: Brussels-Barcelona-Malaga on Iberia July 23rd

Post by OO-SBZ »

AFApresident wrote:In flight service on Iberia is crap, you don´t get anything not even water (unless you pay 2 euros). We didn´t get any food either, luckily I was prepared by all the other comments I had read already so I had brought my own sandwich and water. Still a carrier who doesn't offer free drinks is not worthy to call themselves a full cost carrier.
Nonetheless time went fast and before I well realised we had flown already 1.5 hours we commenced our descend into Barcelona. With a smooth but firm landing.

[...]

Iberia brings you safely from A to B, but compared to KLM and SN Brussels Airlines that is about the only thing they do. Luckily I just love the flying and I´m not too picky yet on a small delay or no food or drinks, but otherwise I strongly suggest you take another carrier for your flight.
Thanks for your first report!

As you wisely point out, it looks like Iberia does not fare much better than Ryanair (or other budget carriers) as far as so-called in-flight service.

Btw, how much did you pay for your ticket? (If I may ask :oops: )

Regards

BeN :idea:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice illustrated report, AFA President. I liked the story of the dog!

However, before comparing Iberia to a LCC, you should check the density of the seating. I guess you still have more legroom on an Iberia flight than on a Ryanair one.
André
ex Sabena #26567

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Yep, nice report AFApresident, seems that Iberia has not a lot to offer (depends on the price you need to pay for it).

Thanks for sharing the report and pictures with us! :wink:

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

It was about 200 euros (cheaper than the 250 for a direct flight with Virgin Express at the time of booking) and since 2 flights is better than 1 :P :D .

I cannot compare with Ryanair as I have never flown with them but I can compare with other short haul flights I have flown in the last 2 years on carriers like AA, SN, KLM and then Iberia A320 seemed to have the least amount of place).
In the A320 I didn´t have much place I was with my knees litteraly in the seat in front of me (I am about 1m 85 (6ft 1). I didn´t have this problem in January when I flew with KLM Geneva Amsterdam on their 737 400, I did experience it on the KLM F50 where I was really cramped too. Luckily I had the seat next to me for me as well so I could sit a little diagonally.
On the other hand the Iberia 757 had a lot more room I still had approximately 4 centimeters (1.5 inches) left (row 11) so it was a very pleasant experience although the window was a little low to have a comfortable look outside (but that is ofcourse not the airline´s fault). But again I really loved the 757 it was a lot brighter and roomier than most other aircraft I have been on and I would even rank it among the best short haul aircraft I have been on (MD S80, B737 3/4/8 and 9, B752,, A320, F50 and F70)!

September 26th I am flying to Lisbon returning October 2nd on board Virgin Express (192 euros for a roundtrip including taxes and the 10 euro credit card charge) but it´s cheaper than 230 euros I would have to pay on TAP/SN and since I´m only a university student I look for the cheapest fare. (although I wouldn´t fly Ryanair even if they had a flight to portugal). I know VEX is a LCC so I am not expecting any service, but at least VEX does not claim to be a full cost quality airline. I will try to take as many pictures as I can and post a trip report for that flight too. Let me know how I can improve my trip reports.

PS: something else about Iberia, I asked the flight attendants if I could take a picture of the cockpit while getting off the plane and they said it was inpossible because of security reasons :evil: .

B737229

Post by B737229 »

I do agree that IB has a very low standard, and unfortunately SN does codeshare with IB! So be aware when booking flight to Spain with SN, make sure it is not operated by IB.. if possible!