Rough landings at YYZ

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
YYZ727

Rough landings at YYZ

Post by YYZ727 »

I'm very happy that everybody escaped the fiery hulk of the AF 340 at YYZ.
I experienced some rough landings at YYZ myself during summer thunderstorms, which can indeed get quite intense in that area.
In 1989 (july 29th or 30th) we arrived from BRU & YMX on a SN DC10-30 ( I think it was OO-SLB, but i'm not absolutely sure of this) during one of those typical summer thunderstorms. A first landing attempt resulted in a missed aproach and a go-around. A new landing attempt brought us on the runway but as soon the nose wheel touched down the plane started skidding on the runway. The nose angled outwards to the left side of the runway at a +/- 30° angle of the runway centerline. Luckily enough the pilot somehow managed the keep the plane on the runway, as it was skidding along the runway axis. After about 10 seconds the nosewheel somehow got grip and the roll-out continued smoothly. The pilot was real cool. As soon as the planes speed had gotten down to taxiing-speed he started music on the PA-system. As it was around 4 o' clock in the afternoon we all were treated to the calming tones of 'tea for two...'
It sure was pretty scary for a while but it ended in the best possible way.
In early september of 1991 i arrived again at YYZ in the middle of thunderstorm. This time it was aboard an AC DC9-30, arriving from ORD. In this case too, the pilot missed the aproach, but on the second attempt the landing went OK, although it was a bit rough...
It is probably a coincidence, but two years later, in june of 1993, I was onboard an AF 767-300 with destination CDG. As we turned on the runway during a thunderstorm, i heard the engines spooling up and the planed started rolling. but the plane unexpectedly turned of the runway at the first taxiway. Luckily enough our speed wasn't high yet, so we made the turn without problem, but as i looked out of my window, I saw a NW 727 landing on the very runway we were on just seconds before. I guess some traffic controller goofed up pretty bad that evening....
Luckily enough many happy landings and departures followed at YYZ since then. I actualy never experienced any problem again in an airliner at any airport since then...
Anybody else with scary experiences at YYZ or other airports ?