What's that at Virgin Heathrow?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
topaz

What's that at Virgin Heathrow?

Post by topaz »

A month ago I flew LHR-BRU on BMI and as we banked over the airport I saw a strange rusty green aircraft parked in the technical(?) area of Virgin airlines. Not so far from the parked Concorde.

I am not an aircraft freak but would like to know what this is.
Anyone know? (Of course they do!) Is it historic?
Greetings,
Topaz

website-info

Post by website-info »

It's a purpose built fire trainer for the airport fire service. In the old days they used real aircraft and now they use something built to resemble several aircraft at one.

Rgds
T

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Never seen the airline program on the bbc?

Apart from the pet service I have seen that one feature quit a lot! :)

Captain

Post by Captain »

EPS_Aviation wrote:It's a purpose built fire trainer for the airport fire service. In the old days they used real aircraft and now they use something built to resemble several aircraft at one.
Indeed looks very strange. It's a mix of a 747SP and MD11/DC10 as it has an engine in the tail. The firemen at LHR use it for outdoor simulation/practice purposes. I guess they practice on one part of the aircraft thus only needing one of these dummy planes to simulate an accident or a fire most types of aircrafts.

Tried to find a pictures on the net. Anyone have one or came across one on a website?

Captain

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

Don't they have the same at AMS?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I saw it also when I was at LHR, it's indeed a combination of several type's of aircrafts that will be used for the fire department

TimHarro

Post by TimHarro »

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... size=large

Anybody have any pictures from other airports, heard there was a new one just installed in Birmingham International too

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

Yeah hehehe, i've seen it as well, a MD-747 ?hehe... but i've seen exactly the same in another airport, but i don't remember which one, but i think it's London-Stansted