How is the service on American Airlines?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
vc-10

How is the service on American Airlines?

Post by vc-10 »

Typicly my Mum has changed our holliday at Christmas so we are flying to Miami on an AA 777 and to Cayman on an AA737-800 instead of flying via Madrid and Havana. I know that they have PTVs in the 777 but what is the service like? We are flying Economy.

JetB

Post by JetB »

Mixed feelings about AA !, Boeing 767 I didn't like so much but my last flight from LAX to LHR on a 777 was nice. The flight was not full, and I had the middle row to myself, now that is nice !.

Don't like the fact you have to pay for beer / wine, catering is just blah blah in economy like most American carriers.

This is a strong statement but I don't see myself flying American Airlines in the future.
Since I quit my job at Brussels airport I think I can say this :
American Airlines staff @ BRU are rude !. Even a simple "hello good morning" is to much !. I would describe them as snobs.

The flying staff isn't any better, these people think they can brake the rules and get away with it.

Maybe you dont see that as a customer but for me that is a reason not to fly AA, I believe when your working in a customer orientated industry, you try to be friendly to everybody.

I know AA isn't bad all over the line, but from BRU I do not fly AA !

chunk

Post by chunk »

I have only flown AA within the US on their MD 'Super' 80. The 'Super' I assume was supposed to be ironic. Went IAH - DFW - OAK and the outward trip was ok I guess...right at the back of the MD80 but next to a galley and the lady working back there was really nice...very friendly. Wierd having to pick up yer bag of food when you got to the gate....very odd. Not sure if they still do that. Flight back to IAH was pish. Got on....the plane went technical so they shifted me onto Continental which got me back the same time as it was direct rather than through DFW.

I hear transatlantic they maybe a bit better but don;t get yer hopes up. I would have gone to CUba!!!

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

I flew from BRU to JFK with AA.

Their service is quite good in Business and Economy. Only a pity that their prices are a bit too high.
About the food, American is waaaaay better than Delta. You can choose between 2 meals in economy and 3 in business.

Nothing bad about American, although their prices must be down :!:

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

vliegtuigfreak wrote:
Nothing bad about American, although their prices must be down :!:

:
Bad news about that. All the big airlines in the US are going to rise up their prices.

JDarby

Post by JDarby »

I tried them on many occasions trans-continental on 757/738/A300 & trans-pacific 772 in Y class. Their 738 & 772 are in excellent shape, but their 757 & A300 are showing their age. I like their generous seat pitch, much better than most other airlines. Their staffs are a mixed bag. I find them friendlier on trans-pacific route. Their prices are a bit higher because of the seat pitch (I think).

chunk

Post by chunk »

I believe they have removed the extra legroom concept from most of their planes....probably something to do with being close to bankruptcy!

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Atlantis wrote:
vliegtuigfreak wrote:
Nothing bad about American, although their prices must be down
Bad news about that. All the big airlines in the US are going to rise up their prices.
Well, I think it isn't a bad thing if they raise their prices. Better some higher prices and healthy airlines, then low prices, and airlines that are on the verge of bankruptcy (and this resulting in declining service i.e.).

moons

Post by moons »

I flew AA once BRU- O'HARE -- O'HARE-MCO and the way back to Belgium on the same 2 flights.
Service was okay, good food...I can't find something negative to talk about. Maybe AA in coach isn't much different from another airline when flying economy ? Don't know.

greets

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

We got the tickets on expedia.co.uk and we have booked EARLY!

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

something to do with being close to bankruptcy!
Far from it!!! Take a look at NWA or Delta, they're closer than we are!! As for service, I apologize on behalf of our airline. I understand that everyone has bad days (even flight attendants), but if you're in the customer service industry (and the airlines are just that) you should NEVER treat the customers badly. Sorry to y'all out there who have had bad experiences with AA, I hope it doesn't scar you for life to never fly with us again!!!
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

chunk

Post by chunk »

It's wierd - every few weeks there seems to be a new number one in the US airline industry's 'first to go bankrupt' chart! AA does seem to have recovered and I would fly them again as like I said - the crew at teh back of the plane were really friendly. However only if it was cost effective to do so! Other wise I want ma Skyteam points!