SN Brussels withdraws paper tickets for European flights

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Do you prefer paper-tickets above e-tickets?

Poll ended at 22 Jan 2005, 19:16

Total votes: 0

OO-SBZ

SN Brussels withdraws paper tickets for European flights

Post by OO-SBZ »

As reported here SN Brussels Airlines will no longer use "paper" tickets on its European network.

This trend was introduced by the low-cost carriers a few years ago and has since then spread.

What is your opinion?

Regards

BeN :idea:

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

If it saves money, why not!

Every penny saved, is a penny earned. And i feel that gone are the days when anyone holds on to the tickets for nostalgic value or memory. Today, SAVING is the mantra or mantle for growth, success and this move makes more sense.

Thank you for the information Ben.
Aum Sweet Aum.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I've been using e-tickets since a long time and it saves the problems of wondering "where the hell are my tickets?"
André
ex Sabena #26567

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

I like paper tickets more, because it means more to me than an e-ticket. Maybe it has to do something with me reminding how it could have been in the 'high-time' which I unfortunately never have experienced.
And the paper ticket is one of the last reminders of those long since times.

But on the other sides I totaly agree with Advisor, it is more important to save that money to survive in the battle between the airlines. And if that adds to a reduced fare (i.e. Easyjet), that would be no problem with me.

B737229

Post by B737229 »

I think it is a wise discission by SN to stop the paper tickets. They are not necessary any more in these times. Other airlines also opted for this system.

Those wanting a paper ticket can still request a paper ticket, for an additional 20€

Comet

Post by Comet »

I think that e-tickets are a bad idea. At least with a paper ticket you had proof of your booking for a flight, but what if there is a glitch in the reservatuion system and your reservation for your flight cannot be found? Will the airline expect you to pay again because the computer has no record of your details?

I know for a fact that this happens because it happend when we were checking in for a flight on Icelandair. The check in assistant told us that we were not on the passenger list, but we had the ticket for the fligth with "status OK" written on. If this had been a non paper flight then we would not have been able to fly.

Part of the posting deleted by Sabena_690. @Comet: please check the forum rules AGAIN...
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

The only reason why I'd prefer paper tickets, is for nostalgic reasons (have them in my collection, and being able to look at real tickets).

This reason aside, give me e-tickets anyday! They are safely stored in the booking system of the airline, you can't lose them, and some airlines (for example British Airways) give you more perks when using e-tickets (BA let you chose your seat online and allow you to check-in for your flight when you have e-tickets for example).

Frederic

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Indeed, I like paper tickets, but it doesn't have to. When I know the airline could save some money on this, why not?

You have still 5 days for flying SN BA with paper tickets :P

:arrow: I voted the second option :arrow:
Tot hier en verder

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

You have still 5 days for flying SN BA with paper tickets
And apparently also still 5 days to go on which you will NOT have to pay for service fees on all flights; a new rule which they are going to introduce apparently from January 1 (when the travel agents will not get a commission anymore)...

BRU-CPH

Post by BRU-CPH »

Sabena_690 wrote:
You have still 5 days for flying SN BA with paper tickets
And apparently also still 5 days to go on which you will NOT have to pay for service fees on all flights; a new rule which they are going to introduce apparently from January 1 (when the travel agents will not get a commission anymore)...
I don't understand the communication strategy of SNBA. The one day they announce they are going e-tickets without any costs for the passengers (see e.g. De Zondag of 19th or 26th of December, I'm not sure about that), and the other day they announce the service fee, what is a hidden price increase according to me. They would better include the service fee in the flight prices, which would be more transparent and fair towards the passengers. I'm also wondering why the service fees for Belgium are the highest: the only reason for this is the fact that they have a kind of monopoly in Belgium and/or can ask higher prices for direct flights. I'm afraid SNBA will lose quite a lot of customers by this decision. Not only clients booking by the website will think twice, also travel agents won't commend SNBA anymore I think.

I hope they will withdraw this decision soon.

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

the other day they announce the service fee, what is a hidden price increase according to me.
Unless they will lower their fares of course. But I first have to see this before I believe it ;)
They would better include the service fee in the flight price
Not possible, for the reason below:
Not only clients booking by the website will think twice, also travel agents won't commend SNBA anymore I think.
This decision is actually to protect the travel agencies. SN are, just like a lot of other airlines, not going to pay any commission anymore to the travel agencies. This means that, if a travel agency wants to earn money by selling tickets, they have to ask some kind of 'service fee' themselves. So, when SN would not introduce service fees, it would be much cheaper for the customer to buy tickets directly with the airline, rather than buying them in a travel agency. This will indeed lead to some kind of hidden price increase, unless the airlines will lower their fares.
I'm also wondering why the service fees for Belgium are the highest
Have you already seen the service fees asked by Lufthansa for example? 10 EUR for a European flight is not that high in comparison with the competition.
I'm afraid SNBA will lose quite a lot of customers by this decision.
Asking service fees is becoming the 'standard', rather than being exceptional. SN won't lose too much customers I think...

Frederic

BRU-CPH

Post by BRU-CPH »

Sabena_690 wrote:
This decision is actually to protect the travel agencies. SN are, just like a lot of other airlines, not going to pay any commission anymore to the travel agencies. This means that, if a travel agency wants to earn money by selling tickets, they have to ask some kind of 'service fee' themselves. So, when SN would not introduce service fees, it would be much cheaper for the customer to buy tickets directly with the airline, rather than buying them in a travel agency. This will indeed lead to some kind of hidden price increase, unless the airlines will lower their fares.
Frederic, You are probably rigth about this. But travel agencies who now already ask a fee will get a lower income out of selling these tickets, what will they do?
Have you already seen the service fees asked by Lufthansa for example? 10 EUR for a European flight is not that high in comparison with the competition.
What I meant to say was that prices to be paid in Belgium are the highest. So why is a ticket sold in France cheaper than one sold in Belgium? As SNBA has his main market in Belgium, this can only be explained by the competition with Air France.