VLM Airlines to Southampton

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

VLM Airlines to Southampton

Post by Boeing767copilot »

VLM Airlines announces two daily services between Brussels and Southampton, as from januari 10'th 2005

Comet

Post by Comet »

I don't know how well that will do, knowing that BA axed their services along the same route.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Comet wrote:I don't know how well that will do, knowing that BA axed their services along the same route.
Isn't BA going to stop their route to BRU? I tought I saw it somewhere on this forum

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Well Good luck VLM !!!

Comet

Post by Comet »

Brubiac wrote: Isn't BA going to stop their route to BRU? I tought I saw it somewhere on this forum
Yes they are. And if they couldn't make a go of this route with a Dash 8, how will VLM make a profit with a Fokker 50? There was obviously no call for the service, and VLM normally seem to operate routes which have done well or which there has been a demand for a start up. I cannot see this one lasting long, somehow.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

VLM Airlines announces new flights to Southampton from Brussels

Antwerp, 22 December 2004 - VLM Airlines announces the further expansion of its network with the launch of a new route from Brussels to Southampton. The business airline will operate two weekday flights and one on Sundays from Monday 10 January 2005. The move strengthens VLM Airlines presence in the Belgium-UK market where it already operates six weekday flights from Antwerp and five flights from Brussels to London City.

Southampton is the largest city in the South East of England outside of London with a city region population of 600,000. Media, finance, marine engineering, pharmaceutical, IT and defence are the most important sectors of this fast growing region (the fourth largest economic growth rate in the UK), and well known international companies include Ford, British American Tobacco, P&O, IBM, Sony and Philips. The University town also boasts a bustling waterfront location, and is close to the tourist attractions of the New Forest, the Isle of Wight, and the ancient English capital Winchester.

Southampton airport has excellent transport connections, with the motorway network being a kilometre away, and the train station only 99 steps from the terminal. Having just celebrated its 10th anniversary as the ‘new’ Southampton airport, the airport has rapidly grown to become the 13th largest airport in the UK, with over 25 scheduled destinations. The European Regions Airline Association awarded Southampton with the Airport of the year award for 2004/5, partly due to the large growth in passengers, which was 73% up in 2003/2004 compared to 2002/2003.

David Cumming, Managing Director of Southampton Airport states: “We are extremely proud to welcome VLM Airlines to our airport. Their excellent punctuality and reliability match the strategy of our airport, as both VLM Airlines and Southampton Airport ensure high levels of customer service”.

Johan Vanneste, Managing Director of VLM Airlines explains: “The Brussels to Southampton route fits in well with our portfolio of routes, which is offering our business passengers a fast and efficient means of travel. We are well known for our all-inclusive onboard service and friendly crew. Furthermore, our punctuality is the highest amongst the UK operators according to the UK Civil Aviation Authority, with 91% of our flights departing on time in the third quarter of 2004. We feel that these characteristics will be appreciated by the business community of Belgium and the Southampton Region. Southampton Airport, in line with the other airports VLM Airlines serves, has fast and efficient boarding and disembarkation procedures and a check-in time of only 20 minutes prior to departure”.

Brussels – Southampton Schedule

Flight number Departure Arrival Days of operation

VG143 0710 0735 MON TUE WED THU FRI

VG147 1800 1825 MON TUE WED THU FRI SUN

Southampton – Brussels schedule

Flight number Departure Arrival Days of operation

VG144 0755 1015 MON TUE WED THU FRI

VG148 1850 2110 MON TUE WED THU FRI SUN

Fare information

Lead in economy fare: €160 return + €52 taxes and charges
Full economy fare: €640 return + €52 taxes and charges
Business class fare: €710 return + €59 taxes and charges

Fares subject to availability.
Fares and taxes subject to change.

Services start on Monday 10 January 2005, bookings can already be made via the local travel agent or via the VLM Call Center: +44 (0)207 467 6677 or +32 (0)3 287 8080.

Source: www.flyvlm.com