Send an SMS or Email at Cruising Altitude on KLM

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

5Y-KQV

Send an SMS or Email at Cruising Altitude on KLM

Post by 5Y-KQV »

Send an SMS or e-mail at cruising altitude
Powered by SITA, KLM is set to introduce SMS and e-mail services direct from and to each passenger seat on board its new Boeing 777 and Airbus A330 aircraft, starting with the first Boeing 777 in February.

The tenth Boeing 777 will be the first to offer passengers the possibility to send short text e-mail or short messaging service (SMS) messages. Send your message (max. 150 characters) to any phone number or e-mail address anywhere in the world! A reply by the person you’ve sent your message to is routed directly to your seat and personal entertainment system. There’ll be a minimal charge of USD 2.50 per message sent or received, payable by credit card. This service will become available on the other Boeing 777’s also, as well as on all Airbus A330 aircraft.

-------------------------------------

I have pasted the message above from an email received from Flying Dutchman. It sounds really 8) (especially the response routing to the the seat/personal entertainment system) though the "minmal charge" sounds abit pricey. Wonder what happens if a response to a message is received after the flight has landed.

Cheers,

Walter

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

If the developments in the industry and the feasibility and reliability of this service will be good, KLM will also offer inflight internet and other enchancements on this service.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Great news. :thumbsup:
Aum Sweet Aum.

5Y-KQV

Post by 5Y-KQV »

Flying_Dutchman wrote:If the developments in the industry and the feasibility and reliability of this service will be good, KLM will also offer inflight internet and other enchancements on this service.
Way to go KLM ..... and I hope these services trickle down to KQ.

:)

Cheers,

Walter

Sentike

Post by Sentike »

Maybe in 5 years all planes will have this possiblitlity 8)

One thing i know now is that if i'dd send someone an sms, saying that i'm flying in the air.... He/She would just take a good laugh with it... :D

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

I guess you are right, Bart.

That is next!
Aum Sweet Aum.

sn26567

Re: Send an SMS or Email at Cruising Altitude on KLM

Post by sn26567 »

5Y-KQV wrote:Send an SMS or e-mail at cruising altitude
See https://www.aviation24.be/article6726.html (3 Dec 04)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Aliya88

Post by Aliya88 »

Hi guys
It is convenient to be able to send SMS or email during a flight with KLM at cruising altitude.FM WhatsApp

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

I can imagine in some situations these will be blocked. That or there will be lots of scared recievers of panic inducing sms messages to friends, famiiy or loved ones.

longwings

Post by longwings »

flightlover wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 13:12 I can imagine in some situations these will be blocked. That or there will be lots of scared recievers of panic inducing sms messages to friends, famiiy or loved ones.
Why? United has been offering IP-based messaging for a few years now (WhatsApp, Teams, etc.) without major issues or scared friends and family on the ground.

Natasha78

Re:

Post by Natasha78 »

Flying_Dutchman wrote: 15 Dec 2004, 16:34 If the developments in the industry and the feasibility and reliability of this service will be good, KLM will also offer inflight internet and other enchancements on this service.
The potential introduction of inflight internet and other enhancements by KLM reflects a promising stride towards improved connectivity and passenger experience.
These advances, if implemented correctly, have the potential to make travel more easy and pleasurable.gb whatsapp download

ilsamiles

Post by ilsamiles »

Aliya88 wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 09:20 Hi guys
It is convenient to be able to send SMS or email during a flight with KLM at cruising altitude.Aeroinsta apk
No, you can't send SMS or email during a flight with KLM at cruising altitude, because when flight take off everything gone blocked...