Just how many seats can you get on an A380 ??

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

website-info

Just how many seats can you get on an A380 ??

Post by website-info »

Corsair have studied the feasibility of the A380 with 1018 seats!!

yes you read that correctly!! That from an airline with 580 seats on a B747-300...... mmmmm now this should be comfortable ....

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I wouldn't fly them in that case, I hate it when the knees of the person behind me are in my neck

waldova

Post by waldova »

I'm wondering how they will ever manage to get that plane full. It will be a move of a whole population!

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Not only the low amount of comfort.

But if something happens to a bird with that many seats that would be a hugh disaster. Off course the A380 will be a safe plane but neverteless a accident can happen due to something very small.

Best Regards,
Yvo

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
You give me all the impression to react like the poeple in 1970 when the 747 came in action.
D'ont forget that every year more and more poeple travel by plane plus the big hubs are full.
Let's see but I think it's a good move.
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

SN30952

Are center seats comfort gains?

Post by SN30952 »

lumumba wrote:Hi everybody.
You give me all the impression to react like the poeple in 1970 when the 747 came in action.
D'ont forget that every year more and more poeple travel by plane plus the big hubs are full.
Let's see but I think it's a good move.
Regards
Patrice

Exactly, Patrice. that was the reaction of the older guys when they saw the 747. I remember it was quite impressive to see for the first time an empty 747 cabin. I remember also the purser running from front to back. He came from 707 and was used the have an overview of a boarding procedure.
This was the period without the computer, without electronic cabin management.
This was also the period where you could choose between a 707 and a 747 on the same destination. Happily I chose the 707 when possible, because there, there was still the more human factor.

Now the A380 has 49% more floor space and 35% more seats than the 747-400. In two desks. That will result in fact that there are to cabins in one aircraft: one deck will accommodate first and business, making that look like one aircraft. The other deck will also look one aircraft. Because once seated inside the passenger will not realise the outside volume.
Airbus writes a four aisled aircraft, but in fact the passenger will see a twin-aisle. For the A380 the
Max. cabin width main deck 6,58 m
Max. cabin width upper deck 5,92 m

In the A380 with a total economy section of 469Y in 32 in pitch seating and 9 abreast in the narrowest aircraft section (upper).
Because the 592-528=64cm goes to a center seat, in what looks as a 2-5-2 abreast seating

658-528=130cm on the main deck in what looks a 3-4-3 abreast seating, the 130cm is split over one extra seat each side. This main economy section carries 366 seats (only 17 less than in the A340-600)

Max. cabin width of the A340-600 is 5,28 m with a economy section of 383Y in 32 in pitch seating and 8 abreast in a 2-4-2 abreast seating.

The A380 offers not more aisle seats nor more window seats per 100 seats. The difference is in the center seats. If you consider that as as a gain in comfort, you win...

In fact for the economy passengers it will be more comfortable to fly in A340 than in A380, I feel. All economy seats do not have the same value, the two abreast are equal to the A340 comfort, the others are inferior.
Also imho, it will be the economy passengers who will subsidise the increased comfort of the front cabins.
Do not misunderstand me, it will be more comfortable in an A380 than in a Caravelle...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Every airplane has a special aircraft certification, it's rather technical but it says: in case of evacuation every passenger needs to get out of the plane in less than 90 seconds with only half of the floor-levels available.

I remember some ex-Sabena colleagues where called in Brussels to fly to Toulouse and test the maximum seating configuration on the A340-600.

Now there is a difference between an aircraft certification and the real cabin configuration, many long-haul airlines opt for first class and business class seats...

First they need to test it live on the A380 that they can evacuate 1018 passengers in less than 90 seconds, wait and see ;)

waldova

Post by waldova »

I remember a documentary were they showed how they performed the tests in England, by the safety organization there. First they just told the people to come out of the plane as fast as possible to see if they would be able to get out in 90 seconds. The people managed to get out in 90 seconds in an orderly way.
But the investigators realized that this was not a realistic situation. People will never leave the plane in case of an emergency in this orderly way. So they added some extra to it. The said, the first so many people who leave the plane get some extra money. With this one, people started to fight and to push each other just to make sure they would be getting that money. The last situation was already closer, and more realistic to the real situation where people, when panicing will first try to save their own live, no matter what.

I curious how they will perform the test at Airbus for the A380. If they look for a thousand people who want to do it, I wouldn't mind participating!