Save Concorde Group

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Speedbird001

Save Concorde Group

Post by Speedbird001 »

Good afternoon, live from Filton, nr. Bristol, UK the birthplace of Concorde.

I am a representative from the Save Concorde Group. We are trying to get Concorde back in the air for Airshow and Heritage Purposes following its premature demise at the end of Oct / Nov 2003. Whilst the manufacturers, Airbus and BA insist that the plane will never fly again, ex-Concorde Pilots and Flight and Maintenance Engineering Staff tell us otherwise.

We are dedicated to get a Concorde back to flight and we have an online petition on our website at www.save-concorde.co.uk available for signing. We also have a forum which we encourage people to sign upto to find out about how the Campaign is progressing.

Today, a year to the day since BA Concorde G-BOAF 216 returned to Filton, Concorde's birthplace, we are toasting that final flight to contribute all those which worked aboard this marvellous aviation icon. We simply want to open the table for discussions and until now, Airbus and BA are both refusing to do this.

What is the feeling of general plane enthusiasts such as yourself? It would be great to hear some international / european views.

Thank you for you time

Ben Lord
Press and Media Coverage Co-Ordinator
Save Concorde Group
www.save-concorde.co.uk

moons

Post by moons »

Hello,

I've signed it. I once saw the concorde at Heatrow. It was taking off before us, nice and spectacular view!!!

greets,
moons

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I would very much like to see the concorde fly again, but you have to be realistic: You can't ask commercial businesses to get here back in the skies, at a cost of millions a year, just for our pleasure... Especially when BA is struggling to make a profit...

Speedbird001

Post by Speedbird001 »

Whilst our long-term ambition is to get Concorde back in the air for air-show and state occasions, a lump appeared in my throat when I drove down the A38 into Filton this afternoon to see Alpha-Foxtrot sitting all on its lonesome in the corner of the airfield. This stunning aircraft should not be left in a corner of Airbus's land to rot away - it should be undercover if they want to continue to be obstructive in our intentions for her to fly again!

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Speedbird001 (great nick by the way),

Of course I signed your petition!

Although I really have my doubts whether getting the Concorde back in the air is possible (who's going to pay for it?), I signed your petition as I would love to see a Speedbird Concorde flying again!

Look at the problems caused by the Trident at LHR... If moving a Trident is complicated, how complicated will it be to get Speedbird001 back into the air!

Anyway, you have my support!

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Speedbird001,

I signed your petition too 8)

This reminds me of another topic on this website: Should Concorde be Allowed Back in The Air?, 20.000 people signed a Concorde-petition. The petition was brought to Downing Street, are you from the same group?

Comet

Post by Comet »

I don't think Concorde should be flying again, though I used to ove to see the aircraft when I visited Heathrow. The type has come to the end of its useful life - how many time was the Concorde forced to make an emergency landing somewhere, or how many times did pieces drop off it? The stresses of flying at such speeds do not do much for the airframe. It is better that Concorde has ended its days in museums rather than ending its days in bits at the end of a runway after a crash, or succombing to metal fatigue. I say leave it where it is!

It was a big white elephant which never even came close to recouping the vast amount of money spent on developing it, its capacity was so small and in the time after the crash the load factors dropped considerably. It was hardly fair that BA were making staff redundant in the wake of 9/11, but on the other hand they were bringing an expensive, uneconomical white elephant back into service. If there was money to waste on that then they could afford to keep staff!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Speedbird001

Post by Speedbird001 »

luchtzak wrote:Speedbird001,

I signed your petition too 8)

This reminds me of another topic on this website: Should Concorde be Allowed Back in The Air?, 20.000 people signed a Concorde-petition. The petition was brought to Downing Street, are you from the same group?
Hi luchtzak,

I see you joined our website! Thank you!

Yes, we are the same group of people. We handed this to Downing Street and we handed this to Airbus in Nov 04.

Cheers,
Speedbird001.

BelugaBrain

Post by BelugaBrain »

I signed the petition a few minuets ago great idea trying to get it back into the air
I think It was a giant leap backwards for mankind went it went out of service.

keep trying!! :D

Rago

Post by Rago »

I signed! Good luck!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

I've only ever seen concorde from Clapham Junction and Waterloo railway stations flying overhead and at Manchester airport, waiting to be moved to the viewing park. I think making one airworthy again is a very good idea, but the more time that passes since the last flight the less likely it is to happen. Good Luck though

PS - If it is airworthy again can it come to Humberside? Thanks

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

PPS I have signed the petition

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

happy newyear everybody!!!!

I indeed find it a good idea that the Concorde flies airshows again.

I also agree with the other things (back in service,...)

But i think it would be a great victory for everybody if we could even
just let him fly again in airshows. Love to see one flying.(for the first time)

I signed the petition and success with it.
I hope you guys succeed in you mission.

Best regards: Yannick :wink:

Speedbird001

Post by Speedbird001 »

Thank you for your words of encouragement.