Ryanair....'budget airlines'...similar trend here too......

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flightoffancy

Ryanair....'budget airlines'...similar trend here too......

Post by flightoffancy »

I hear that budget airlines are quite famous in the whole of Europe and across the Atlantic. I quite like this concept and the so-called 'low-cost, no-frills' theory is picking up in South Asia as well, especially in India which has its one and only low-cost airline so far-Air Deccan (launched in mid-2003). And there definitely seems to be serious competition between the big fish like Jet Airways, Sahar Airlines and Indian Airlines (domestic) and their no-frills counterpart.
Finally, travelling made convenient... :) !!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Glad to see that India and Southeast Asia also get their share in the low-cost aviation market.

As you say, there is no reason why, being successful in North American and Europe, the concept could not be imported to other parts of the world. Unless through governmental regulation...
André
ex Sabena #26567

flightoffancy

hmm...

Post by flightoffancy »

actually India tried to experiment this concept with Modiluft, a budget airline that was launched almost a decade ago and vanished from the market a few yrs later. It could not reap enough returns on investment and suffered from poor management. But Air Deccan was launched by a bunch Ex-Amry guys...n they hit the bull's eye this time. The seats r running packed atleast for the next 3-4 mths.
Also i think, the concept of budget-airlines has certain deep-rooted fundamentals which still need to reach certain untouched territories on the globe. Interestingly, neck-to-neck competition seems to have sprung between budget airlines of South East Asia resulting in cold war between related and lesser-used airports with their bigger counterparts.