collision B737 and B767 at Manchester: no victims

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LX-LGX

collision B737 and B767 at Manchester: no victims

Post by LX-LGX »

The Times online: Planes collide on runway
Two planes have collided on a runway at Manchester Airport while taxiing to take off. The tail of a Boeing 737 with 79 passengers on board clipped the wing of an Excel Airways 767 with 255 passengers on board, a spokeswoman for the airport said. Both aircraft were on the ground preparing to depart on runway two.

For our Dutch readers: De Telegraaf says one of the planes is a Baby Boeing 737. Trust they mean "B737 from bmi baby"...

MANCHESTER - Op het terrein van de luchthaven van Manchester in Groot-Brittannië zijn donderdag twee passagiersvliegtuigen tegen elkaar gereden. Volgens de Britse zender BBC zijn er vooralsnog geen berichten over persoonlijk letsel. Een Baby Boeing 737 van British Midland met bestemming Belfast kwam op de startbaan in botsing met een Boeing 767 van Excel Airways, die naar de Indiase stad Goa zou vertrekken. In de Boeing 767 zouden 255 passagiers hebben gezeten en in de andere 79. Passagiers en bemanningsleden van beide toestellen zijn in veiligheid gebracht. Een woordvoerder van de ambulancedienst zei dat de vliegtuigen elkaar met de vleugels hadden geraakt. Hij zei ook dat geen slachtoffers waren gemeld, maar dat vijf ambulances ter plaatse waren om eventuele gewonden te behandelen.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

More details from BBC.co.uk :

A BMI Baby Boeing 737 travelling to Belfast International and an Excel Airways Boeing 767 travelling to Goa are believed to have touched wings. More than 330 passengers and crew from the aeroplanes were taken to safety and there are no reports of injuries. Emergency services and air accident investigators are at the scene at Terminal One, following the accident at 4.30pm on Thursday. The plane travelling to Goa is believed to have been carrying 255 passengers, and the one to Belfast is thought to have had 79 passengers on board. A Greater Manchester Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We received reports that there had been a minor collision between two planes on the runway. "We believe that the wings of the two planes may have clipped. At this time there are no reports of any casualties or fatalities, but we have five vehicles at the scene ready to treat any casualties."

The passengers from the affected flights were believed to be back in Terminal One awaiting others flight to continue their journeys. Other flights at the airport are said to be running as normal. A spokesman for BMI Baby said: "We can confirm there was an incident at Manchester Airport which involved a BMI Baby aircraft being damaged. "We are not aware of any injuries to passengers or crew. The incident is currently being investigated. Passengers have returned to the terminal building and an alternative aircraft is being arranged to take passengers to their final destinations."

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for keeping us up to date LX-LGX.

Chris

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Just read it.
It's a very serious incident. These things aren't supposed to happen on a modern airport like MAN.
This accident reminds me to the one at Tenerife with a KLM 747 and a Pan Am 747.

Best Regards,
Yvo

regi

Post by regi »

Hi guys,
I feel a cold shiver running over my back.
The only time I had a flight on Manchester was with BMI. In a 737. This is coming too close to me.
Remember I also knew mr. Van Poucke who crashed some weeks ago near Dijon. Too close.

Next thing: an engine from another MK 747 landing in my garden?