Cracks in window of JAL 777

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

levent

Cracks in window of JAL 777

Post by levent »

Yesterday 27 October a Japan Airlines Boeing 777 returned to Tokyo Narita after cracks appeared in one of the cockpit windows Flight 723 had 197 passengers on board and was flying to Kuala Lumpur. The cracks appeared during cruise at an altitude of 11 km in a window on the captain´s side and measured 40 to 50 cms. The plane landed safely in Tokyo and the pax were taken to Kuala Lumpur with another plane.

Here is the link to the news source, it´s in Dutch:
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?id=6075

A318

Post by A318 »

I saw this article also yesterday evening and I was wondering if this didn't happen also 2 months ago with another carrier also with a 777?
Can somebody confirm this?

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Does anyone know how old the particular aircraft is?
Is it "normal" for a aircraft, after having flown around for a x-time, to have such kind of damage?
Guess not, but occurs cracks in windows more often?

Avro

Post by Avro »

B744skipper wrote: Is it "normal" for a aircraft, after having flown around for a x-time, to have such kind of damage?
Cracks in windows are definitely not normal, and I'm sure that cockpit windows are replaced after a specific number of cycles.
But it happens from time to time on every type of plane even with the precaution that people take to avoid this.

Chris