Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boavida

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Boavida »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 19:41
Ansett wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:13 Very good summary and analysis, DeltaWiskey !
Thanks, I am glad you liked it. :)

I have to say that I was a bit puzzled last week when the rumours of the management change leaked in the press. Although it was not unexpected. Now that all dust starts to settle and more information has been spread, I am confident that the future looks bright for Brussels Airlines. Even if it's not going to be with that name forever.

With the discussion about the brand "Brussels Airlines" on this board, I started think about it for a moment. I am not convinced that Brussels Airlines really is the best name for the airline in its present form. When I ask friends, family, colleagues: who are you going to fly with? They say, "SN Brussels Airlines", "Brussels", "SN", sometimes even "Brussels Airlines". ;)
Brussels Airlines is a long name and people shorten it very often. This means to me, that it is not the strongest brand possible. With other airlines, they just say "Ryanair", "KLM", "Easyjet", etc. They don't say a variation like "FR" or "Ryan". Ok, an very odd person might say "Easy", but really not that many.

There will be a time, eventually, in maybe 5, 10 or 20 years time, when the Eurowings has become so big and has bases all across Europe, that it would be stupid for Brussels Airlines not wanting to be associated with that brand.
EW CEO Dirks has reacted to the letter of the Belgian CEO's worrying about SN. He said again that Brussels deserves a broad network of short and long haul flights with a strong home carrier - with a local brand. So they want a 'Belgian' brand but also one that is more known outside of Belgium.

They already own one...

I really hope LH studies the possibility of re-introducing the name Sabena, it would have huge advantages when you think of it. It's priceless to have a well-known brand in aviation today. Certainly in its key markets Sabena still is a more known brand than Brussels Airlines (not to mention it sounds so, so much better than 'Brussels Airlines'). Imagine the marketing campaign you could come up with when Sabena is 'back': everybody would want to fly it again!

While nobody is waiting to fly with Eurowings.

...Just imagine the iconic S-tails back at BRU...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 10:05
DeltaWiskey wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 23:03 Eurowings is profitable short haul only, Brussels Airlines long haul only.
Hence why going for low yield O&D traffic when Europe’s biggest low cost carrier has the biggest part of the home market on short haul was the wrong choice. With so much pressure on price it’s a lost battle from the start. Long haul was always the nessecary way to go.
At Lufthansa, they're not too worried that Brussels Airlines isn't making that much profit on short haul / O&D. Lufthansa is very grateful that their participation in Brussels Airlines eliminated competition on two of LH's most important routes.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

sean1982 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 10:05Hence why going for low yield O&D traffic when Europe’s biggest low cost carrier has the biggest part of the home market on short haul was the wrong choice.
That is not the main reason. And it's also not as black and white as you always make it to be.

Regarding the brand: to me, it doesn't matter too much how the brand/name evolves, as long as it's not Sabena. I think that name would be a major mistake for many reasons. I am a "generation Y" and Sabena does not bring back any good memories, let alone "added value". Yes, it's historic, and I am sure it did some good things, but let the past be the past. It's like the space shuttle program. It was ok when it was operating, but it did not excel in anything, was costly, had reliability issues, etc. Time moved on and so did humanity.

The brand Sabena will have the same problems as Brussels Airlines today, it's known in Belgium and Africa, but has little awareness outside these areas. It's not iconic like Pan Am, Trans World Airlines or BOAC. That's just my opinion of course, I am absolutely fine to have a different opinion than most people here.

People are not going to buy an air ticket only because they like the brand (unlike Louis Vuitton, Red Bull,...). They purchase it based on the need to travel (holiday, business meeting, friends,...), they look at the offering (BRU vs CRL, AMS, EIN etc), price, transfer vs non-stop, loyalty program, past experience, etc. When there are still multiple options, they will look at the operating carrier.
Boavida wrote: At Lufthansa, they're not too worried that Brussels Airlines isn't making that much profit on short haul / O&D.
They do. That's why it has been major headline this past week. They want to make it much more profitable.
Last edited by DeltaWiskey on 10 Feb 2018, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

crew1990 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 23:49Actually the only new winter flights coming from TCW are Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Agadir, Marsa Alam, Hurghada, Sal and Boa Vista. Those flight are not full at the moment, this is the low season, I really don't know how you can thing there are 20 000 pax, I would personally say around 9 000.
Low season for the Canary islands? Don't think so...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 12:16
wrote: At Lufthansa, they're not too worried that Brussels Airlines isn't making that much profit on short haul / O&D.
They do. That's why it has been major headline this past week. They want to make it much more profitable.
They say that. But Lufthansa knows very well that their participation in Brussels Airlines allows them (= Lufthansa) to have excellent yields on FRA-BRU-FRA and MUC-BRU-MUC.

6 to 7 daily flights each, no competition, lots of business traffic (Finances and European Union). And some feeders for their long haul. Hallelujah!

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

A nice (and interesting) interview with Etienne Davignon in "De Standaard" (Dutch): http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20180209_03349557

Regarding the brand is one particular sentence interesting:

"Spreken we over vijf jaar nog over Brussels Airlines?
‘In Afrika zijn wij niet Brussels Airlines. Daar noemen ze ons nog altijd Sabena. Maar op lange termijn is zo’n naam uiterst belangrijk."

Are we still speaking about Brussels Airlines in the next 5 years?

"In Africa we aren't Brussels Airlines, they still call us Sabena. But in the long term such a name is very important"

It continues that there might be a name change after 2020 (he mentions by example Brussels Wings but is also quick to say that the reporter doesn't need to write that down, otherwise people will say that Davignon has said that the new name could become Brussels Wings). He says that they cannot underestimate the value of a brand and that they think it would be wrong to change it (at this point).

I've seen suggestions regarding Sabena pass here quite a few times and now it seems that Davignon is also saying that Sabena is still a strong brand. Could it be possible that they re-introduce the Sabena brand in the next couple of years?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Bralo20 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 12:47
I've seen suggestions regarding Sabena pass here quite a few times and now it seems that Davignon is also saying that Sabena is still a strong brand. Could it be possible that they re-introduce the Sabena brand in the next couple of years?
In any case for the frequent traveler that I am and that I already was during Sabena times, it would be a good idea ... I keep a very good memory of the Sabena in spite of the bankruptcy and the personal dramas that this one it could have generated...

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

I work in the marketing business and I know that brand value and brand recognition are IMMENSELY important in today's (business) world.

Take Walibi for example. They were taken over by an American company that changed the name of the park to 'Six Flags'... remember? You know how the parks are named today? Back to... Walibi. Because of brand recognition among the public.

If Brussels Airlines has a brand value of let's say 10, Sabena would be at 100. That's how big the difference is.

LH would be stupid not to consider the re-introduction of a priceless brandname they already own.

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Bralo20 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 12:47 A nice (and interesting) interview with Etienne Davignon in "De Standaard" (Dutch): http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20180209_03349557
A similar interview today in De Tijd (Dutch):
https://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaa ... 81226.html

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Apuneger wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 16:37
Bralo20 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 12:47 A nice (and interesting) interview with Etienne Davignon in "De Standaard" (Dutch): http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20180209_03349557
The viscount seems to give interviews all around these days. Also in Le Soir (French): http://plus.lesoir.be/139331/article/20 ... eurant-sur
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 17:12 The viscount seems to give interviews all around these days.
Tsst Tsst André... He is now Count Davignon, since last year... ;)

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

sn26567 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 17:12
Apuneger wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 16:37
The viscount seems to give interviews all around these days. Also in Le Soir (French): http://plus.lesoir.be/139331/article/20 ... eurant-sur
Is it possible to have a short summary of both these french/dutch speaking belgian press ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 19:15
sn26567 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 17:12 The viscount seems to give interviews all around these days.
Tsst Tsst André... He is now Count Davignon, since last year... ;)
For somebody involved in aviation, Viscount sounds better: it reminds the Vickers Viscount aircraft.

OK, back to topic now ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:03 Is it possible to have a short summary of both these french/dutch speaking belgian press ?
In brief, "Count" (but one of the papers still mentions "Viscount") Davignon is sorry that he could not prevent the firing of the CEO and the CFO. But the differences of opinion between them and Spohr were irreconcilable.

He will do the utmost to make sure the Belgian touch is maintained with a strong base in Belgium and connections to European and intercontinental destinations, even if it means a change of name.

He cannot accept criticism from the Belgian CEOs who insist on having a Belgian centre of decision, when the same CEOs didn't help when the airline was in crisis in 2008, and only LH offered to help: it was LH or bankruptcy, and he chose LH.

And he reminds that Sabena was well known internationally, contrarily to Brussels Airlines
André
ex Sabena #26567

brusselsairlinesfan

sn26567 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:05
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:03 Is it possible to have a short summary of both these french/dutch speaking belgian press ?
In brief, "Count" (but one of the papers still mentions "Viscount") Davignon is sorry that he could not prevent the firing of the CEO and the CFO. But the differences of opinion between them and Spohr were irreconcilable.

He will do the utmost to make sure the Belgian touch is maintained with a strong base in Belgium and connections to European and intercontinental destinations, even if it means a change of name.

He cannot accept criticism from the Belgian CEOs who insist on having a Belgian centre of decision, when the same CEOs didn't help when the airline was in crisis in 2008, and only LH offered to help: it was LH or bankruptcy, and he chose LH.

And he reminds that Sabena was well known internationally, contrarily to Brussels Airlines
Thank you... that is very kind...

The question regarding the rebranding seems to remain quite fuzzy !

I do like the brussels airlines brand but I must admit it is a bit weak... and Carsten Spohr doesn’t like it!

Sabena is far more stronger in Belgium and Africa for sure but not only I think. Btw, why did they give up this brand back in 2002! It perfectly matches with the african focus strategy... but not really with the Eurowings image, Spirit and concept... but still, I am pretty sure that such brand revival could work...

And last but not least if they want to stick on -wings with a belgian touch : belgianwings ? Eurobelgianwings?

Finally, my bet on belgianwings !!!
Last edited by brusselsairlinesfan on 10 Feb 2018, 23:55, edited 3 times in total.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

While I think Sabena could be a good name for Brussels Airlines, I would like to remind you that SABENA is a french acronym, but for some of our northern friend, the French language is not really welcome. But still I think this is a good name. Société Anonyme Belge de Navigation Aérienne, this is still a SA (NV), it's still Belgian even if share holder are German, and they are still busy with Air navigation so why not.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:31

I do like the brussels airlines brand but I must admit it is a bit weak... and Carsten Spohr doesn’t like it!

Sabena is far more stronger in Belgium and Africa for sure but not only I think. Btw, why did they give up this brand back in 2002! It perfectly matches with the african focus strategy... but not really with the Eurowings image, Spirit and concept... but still, I am pretty sure that such brand revival could work...

And last but not least if they want to stick on -wings with a belgian touch : belgianwings ? Eurobelgianwings?

Because technically and legally, SN Airholding NV (SN Brussels Airlines, later Brussels Airlines) was an entirely different company then Sabena NV which was in bankruptcy at that time but still owned the name Sabena. It later was sold to SN Airholding but mainly to make sure no third party could be the brandname and start a whole new Sabena.

brusselsairlinesfan

Conti764 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 02:37
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:31

Because technically and legally, SN Airholding NV (SN Brussels Airlines, later Brussels Airlines) was an entirely different company then Sabena NV which was in bankruptcy at that time but still owned the name Sabena. It later was sold to SN Airholding but mainly to make sure no third party could be the brandname and start a whole new Sabena.
Thank you very much for the explanation! And why did they chose Brussels Airlines instead of Belgian Airlines at that time ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: And why did they chose Brussels Airlines instead of Belgian Airlines at that time ?
Belgian politics! Some people in the North of the country dislike anything that carries the name "Belgian". That's also why the TV broadcaster BRT changed its name to VRT for example.
André
ex Sabena #26567

brusselsairlinesfan

sn26567 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 10:25
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: And why did they chose Brussels Airlines instead of Belgian Airlines at that time ?
Belgian politics! Some people in the North of the country dislike anything that carries the name "Belgian". That's also why the TV broadcaster BRT changed its name to VRT for example.
Really?! This is crazy! Why chosing such a regional name for a worldwide activity ?!