Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jan_olieslagers

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Belgian citizens are mostly low cost passengers.
That is a very crude generalisation. In fact I think Brussels has a rather high share of high yield passengers, given the many institutions (NATO, Europe, big banks, ...) who pay tickets for their staff. That's the kind of people who take a cab from the Berlaymont to the airport even if the train is faster and a lot cheaper - they simply don't care.

convair

Post by convair »

Deejay wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 14:09 M&M 25 year anniversary promotion :

earn 25 miles per euro spent with OS, LH, LX and Eurowings (!!!)....

https://25years.msp.miles-and-more.com/de/en/

Brussels absent ...

getting better and better....
Did anyone see or hear a reaction from an SN official to that news?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

In "LE SOIR" of September 1 Cristina Foerster declares that SN can still grow, must still improve its profitability, that by comparing itself with other companies SN is not where it should be ... She concludes by saying " If there is nothing new today (she is speaking of new destinations for the winter) ... we have beautiful plans ".
It remains to know which ones!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

nordikcam wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 19:19 In "LE SOIR" of September 1 Cristina Foerster declares that SN can still grow, must still improve its profitability, that by comparing itself with other companies SN is not where it should be ... She concludes by saying " If there is nothing new today (she is speaking of new destinations for the winter) ... we have beautiful plans ".
It remains to know which ones!
That's what bothers me with LH...

If LH/EW would have great and beautiful plans with SN, they'd already be very open about it since good news sells. Now they choose to risk (and got) a strike by, amongst others, staying very vague and spreading nothing but mystery about SN's future and as such lay a base for rumours.

If the (ultimate) goal is to retain - with or without the brand - SN as it is today and shift some of the lower end short to medium haul flights to where they belong - Eurowings - than just say so. I think most people would understand.

Since LH stays very vague about SN, I do not expect anything good for the company.

On a smaller level - this forum - we don't hear a lot anymore of tolipanebas where he always was very optimistic about SN's future within LH. Another writing on the wall?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Conti764 wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 19:30 On a smaller level - this forum - we don't hear a lot anymore of tolipanebas where he always was very optimistic about SN's future within LH. Another writing on the wall?
I was just thinking about him ( Tolipanebas ). Where is he ? Some news ? :)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Yes, I too had been wondering for a while.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Conti764 wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 19:30 On a smaller level - this forum - we don't hear a lot anymore of tolipanebas where he always was very optimistic about SN's future within LH. Another writing on the wall?
The writing was already on the wall 3 years ago. Myself and others predicted most of whats happening now back then already. When doing so we we’re mocked, insulted, drowned in sarcasms and more by above forum member and other members too.

I dont know why you’re all acting so surprised?
Having said that, my heart will bleed the day tintin, margritte, amare and red devils will be overpainted by that ugly generic EW livery. Ewwww indeed

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 21:07
The writing was already on the wall 3 years ago. Myself and others predicted most of whats happening now back then already. When doing so we we’re mocked, insulted, drowned in sarcasms and more by above forum member and other members too.
What a pity that you didn't predict 22nd March 2016: Brussels Airlines has calculated the loss from the terror attack to 79 mio Euro, with most of that outside Insurance coverage (source: annual account 2017).

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

On a side note Primera which just announced BRU-BOS/EWR/IAD and had also announce similar plane out of Berlin now announced Daily flights from FRA to JFK, BOS, YUL and YYZ I believe...
If EW ever becomes the airline in Brussels you're going to be able to get to many places using other airlines... I bet you within a year or 2 Norwegian will start putting planes in BRU... EW is not a guaranteed success... lots of players going after the German market! You just have to choose if you want to fly an old bus to the States operated by who knows what airline... or a brand new 737MAX9 operated by Primera for example... :)

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Inquirer wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:03: commercial aviation is a business envionment with little room for emotions, sympathy or nostalia, so none of this should come as a surprise in fact.
No shareholder is going to waste millions just for the sake of a historic name, some beloved logo, or a nostalic feeling around certain places: if it doesnt make sense, it needs to go, simple as that indeed.
It's something many around here seem to forget quite easily.
Similar to fans of football teams almost actually.
Quote from another topic, but equally valid in this one.
The arrival of MAX and NEO, is a gamechanger!
Triangular flights will become a thing of the past. For transatlantic there will be more and more non-stop flights between secondary airports on both sides of the pond.
SN needs to rethink its strategy or wil disappear, with or without a name change!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 08:26
sean1982 wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 21:07
What a pity that you didn't predict 22nd March 2016: Brussels Airlines has calculated the loss from the terror attack to 79 mio Euro, with most of that outside Insurance coverage (source: annual account 2017).
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the LH take over and how they handle the company. How was the vinegar tasting this morning?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Please play the ball and not the person.

Thank-you!

Stij

Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Does anybody know why the Loop programme of Brussels Airlines is under maintenance for months? Do they want to get rid of it?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Traveler wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 21:59 Does anybody know why the Loop programme of Brussels Airlines is under maintenance for months? Do they want to get rid of it?
Just a wild guess: merger discussions with the similar Eurowings programme "Boomerang"?

This being said, I wonder why Brussels Airlines, just like Eurowings, feel the need to have two separate fidelity programmes. Does Miles&More not fill their needs?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 22:34 This being said, I wonder why Brussels Airlines, just like Eurowings, feel the need to have two separate fidelity programmes. Does Miles&More not fill their needs?
Probably because M&M didn't s*ck enough.

Stij

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

sn26567 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 22:34
Traveler wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 21:59 Does anybody know why the Loop programme of Brussels Airlines is under maintenance for months? Do they want to get rid of it?
Just a wild guess: merger discussions with the similar Eurowings programme "Boomerang"?

This being said, I wonder why Brussels Airlines, just like Eurowings, feel the need to have two separate fidelity programmes. Does Miles&More not fill their needs?
Because Eurowings is NOT part of Star Alliance. SN still is.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Darjeeling wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 11:58
sn26567 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 22:34

Because Eurowings is NOT part of Star Alliance. SN still is.
yeah so why does SN needs another separate mileage program ?
Citybird
The flying dream

travellover

Post by travellover »

Even if it's never too late in the aviation market, the arrival of PF at BRU indicates that it's a missed opportunity for the LH management, UA and SN. As for EWR early evening flight than for BOS.
Probably, in 2019 and beyond, SN should keep flying daily on JFK with it's own metal as JFK is not a UA hub.

And when will the next growing plans to Africa be unveiled for SN ? Will it be in 2019 ?
More frequencies, NBO back on the map ? LBV ? LOS ?
The competition is moving : AF (more frequencies to NBO, etc.), KL, KQ (new flight to JFK),
ET expanding network and investing money in other african airlines :
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/14/afri ... index.html
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/new ... index.html

And these are examples.
Cheers

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

travellover wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 09:29 Even if it's never too late in the aviation market, the arrival of PF at BRU indicates that it's a missed opportunity for the LH management, UA and SN. As for EWR early evening flight than for BOS.
Probably, in 2019 and beyond, SN should keep flying daily on JFK with it's own metal as JFK is not a UA hub.

And when will the next growing plans to Africa be unveiled for SN ? Will it be in 2019 ?
The competition is moving : AF (more frequencies to NBO, etc.), KL, KQ (new flight to JFK),

And these are examples.
LH is too busy developing EW's presence at DUS to remember that she bought SN and therefore a big chunk of BRU's traffic. She will remember when EW will become profitable in 2 or 3 years ... probably too late once again! I hope for BRU that they will not put all their eggs in the LH basket and sincerely that SN will survive even if personally I have taken other long-haul habits via CDG or AMS.

b720

Post by b720 »

nordikcam wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 10:38
travellover wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 09:29 Even if it's never too late in the aviation market, the arrival of PF at BRU indicates that it's a missed opportunity for the LH management, UA and SN. As for EWR early evening flight than for BOS.

And these are examples.
LH is too busy developing EW's presence at DUS to remember that she bought SN and therefore a big chunk of BRU's traffic. She will remember when EW will become profitable in 2 or 3 years ... probably too late once again! I hope for BRU that they will not put all their eggs in the LH basket and sincerely that SN will survive even if personally I have taken other long-haul habits via CDG or AMS.
It is already too late..
and ET has become a natural choice to central east and Southern Africa from almost every point in Europe, competitive fares, very good service, and the airline is making money!!!