Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by nordikcam »

Will there be a press conference tomorrow after the explanation meeting on the future of SN by the German bosses? Thx !

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

nordikcam wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 10:28 Will there be a press conference tomorrow after the explanation meeting on the future of SN by the German bosses? Thx !
The press has not been called to the Brussels Airlines offices. But count on the unions to contact the media and give them the conclusions of the meeting.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 15:03
nordikcam wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 10:28 Will there be a press conference tomorrow after the explanation meeting on the future of SN by the German bosses? Thx!
The press has not been called to the Brussels Airlines offices. But count on the unions to contact the media and give them the conclusions of the meeting.
Rumours are that Lufthansa has decided that Brussels Airlines will continue to operate as airline. Rumours are that Lufthansa will deny tomorrow that Brussels Airlines will start fabricate vacuum cleaners.

Regarding "the future of Brussels Airlines": I guess that Lufthansa will explain the results for 2017: an operational profit of 3,92m € but a final loss of 61,87m €. Mainly due to the repayment of government aid (40,1m), increasing costs of the 22/03/2016 terror attack (to 76m and insurers refuse to cover all of it) and the integration of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Passenger wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 17:47
nordikcam wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 10:28 Will there be a press conference tomorrow after the explanation meeting on the future of SN by the German bosses? Thx!
Rumours are that Lufthansa has decided that Brussels Airlines will continue to operate as airline. Rumours are that Lufthansa will deny tomorrow that Brussels Airlines will start fabricate vacuum cleaners.

Regarding "the future of Brussels Airlines": I guess that Lufthansa will explain the results for 2017: an operational profit of 3,92m € but a final loss of 61,87m €. Mainly due to the repayment of government aid (40,1m), increasing costs of the 22/03/2016 terror attack (to 76m and insurers refuse to cover all of it) and the integration of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium.
Indeed they won't tell anything we didn't know yet ... or they could come with a surprise and outline the timeline for the integration/transformation ... last week I spotted a Eurowings car in front of the Bhouse ..
Citybird
The flying dream

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... ngs-group/

New setup for Eurowings Group
  • Brussels Airlines set to become long-haul competence center of Eurowings Group
  • Eurowings airline will be responsible for the short-haul business of the Eurowings Group
  • Eurowings Group CEO Thorsten Dirks: “New strategic setup puts us at the helm of European airline consolidation”
After first successes of joint projects, Eurowings and Brussels Airlines will take the next decisive steps in the integration process, defining each other’s roles within the Eurowings Group.

Taking the expertise and strengths of both entities into consideration, Brussels Airlines will become the long-haul competence center of the Eurowings Group, steering all long-haul activities of the entire group out of Brussels. Next to that, the airline will actively participate in the Eurowings Group pan-European growth strategy by becoming the operator for the expansion to other airport bases in the French- and Dutch-speaking part of Europe.

“The successful launch of Eurowings long-haul flights operated by Brussels Airlines out of Düsseldorf to New York, Fort Meyers and Miami last April, reconfirms the long-haul expertise of the Brussels based airline,” said Eurowings Group CEO Thorsten Dirks. “In only five months Eurowings and Brussels Airlines have managed to set up a long-haul base at Düsseldorf, strengthening the group in one of its key German airports,” he added.

In parallel, Eurowings – focusing on European point-to-point traffic – will steer the entire short-haul portfolio of the Eurowings Group from Cologne. Dirks: “Joining forces with Brussels Airlines will not only strengthen our position as the #3 low-cost carrier in Europe but also spur further Eurowings Group growth in the future”, specifies Thorsten Dirks.

Both airlines will continue to operate long-haul and short-haul flights out of their respective bases Brussels, Cologne, Düsseldorf and Vienna. This also means that even though two competence centers are being created at Brussels and Cologne, there will remain functions for both long-haul and short-haul operations at both locations. Implementation of the new setup is planned for 2019. Eurowings Group already operates from more than 20 European bases today.

"Brussels Airlines is recognized for its expertise and for the value it adds to the Eurowings Group. We will continue building on our assets to become an even more important player within the group, while remaining Belgium's strong home carrier and continuing to focus on our guests," adds Christina Foerster, CEO of Brussels Airlines.

Eurowings Group CEO Thorsten Dirks is confident that this new teamwork structure under the umbrella of Eurowings Group is the right strategic step to meet future challenges. “The scattered European aviation landscape is beginning to consolidate – the new structure of Eurowings Group will make it possible for us to be at the helm of this development.”

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Both airlines will continue to operate long-haul and short-haul flights out of their respective bases Brussels, Cologne, Düsseldorf and Vienna. This also means that even though two competence centers are being created at Brussels and Cologne, there will remain functions for both long-haul and short-haul operations at both locations. Implementation of the new setup is planned for 2019. Eurowings Group already operates from more than 20 European bases today.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

See my comments at the bottom of the press release on our homepage:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... ngs-group/

Alea jacta est! Brussels Airlines is definitively downgraded to the status of a low-cost airline. The honours for SWISS and Austrian Airlines (the “network airlines”, together with Lufthansa), the decline for Brussels Airlines, as if Brussels Airport might not be considered as a hub, as if Brussels Airlines has not an important hub in Brussels. Belgians are truly considered second-class citizens in the view of Lufthansa bosses. Because they don’t speak German?

In my view, this is the next step to the complete integration of Brussels Airlines into Eurowings, including the name. Not one word about a possible name change in the press release. The issue is too sensitive now, especially at a time when the Belgian Red Devils are scoring such nice results in the FIFA World Cup, contrarily to the German “Mannschaft” too filled with arrogance (perhaps like Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr who should understand that arrogance leads nowhere), the Austrians and the Swiss. But when the moment will be more favourable, just one diktat from Cologne and the name will be changed to Eurowings.

I notice the difference in wording: Brussels Airlines is a “centre of excellence” for the long-haul business, another word for “example”. But Eurowings is “responsible” for short-haul and keeps its “umbrella” over Brussels Airlines. That means Eurowings and only Eurowings will have the authority. Brussels Airlines might be considered as a model to follow for the intercontinental flights, but the orders will always come from Cologne.

Poor Brussels Airlines, poor Belgium…!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

This is what Belga writes about today:

NL:
https://www.hln.be/geld/economie/ceo-br ... ~a2e8f89f/

FR:
https://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Econom ... utur.dhtml

Free translations:
https://translate.google.com/

(first phrase has been edited)
Last edited by Passenger on 10 Jul 2018, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 17:47

Well that turned out differently didn't it?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 19:03 Well that turned out differently didn't it?
Nope. I was right. The bad result was mentionned, but not discussed. And Brussels Airlines won't become a vacuum cleaner factory. They remain an airline.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 19:03 This is what Belga thinks about today:
Belga doesn't think anything but merely copies what was written in the press release and in an internal SN communication.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

And this is what Travel Magazine Aviation News says:

https://travel-magazine.be/eurowings-ga ... it-keulen/

feel free for google translate

Belga-journalist

Post by Belga-journalist »

sn26567 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 22:28
Passenger wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 19:03 This is what Belga thinks about today:
Belga doesn't think anything but merely copies what was written in the press release and in an internal SN communication.

Isn't that easy, Passenger? Only refer to the articles with the interview of Foerster and Dirks? You should refer to the articles with the point of view of the unions too. And to what was written in the first place after the initial press release of Brussels Airlines.

Does this look like a copy/paste, André?
https://www.hln.be/geld/economie/eurowi ... ~a404ad57/

I'm very disappointed in your reaction André, as "chief editor" of a website that almost only publishes press releases. I thought at least you would show a bit more respect. I didn't see you at b-house yesterday all day, to wait for reactions of employees, unions, Foerster, Dirks ...

I don't want to start a big discussion, but I felt the need to defend my job an that of my colleagues. Now I have tot get back to not thinking anything and copy what was written in press releases and internal communications...
Last edited by Belga-journalist on 10 Jul 2018, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Welcome to Aviation 24.be, Belga journalist! Our apologies and respect for your work.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shonix

Post by Shonix »

Well, time has come: Goodbye the "Belgitude"...

Brussels Airlines will no more be the Belgian flag carrier as from 2019.

Let's hope Air Belgium will make it...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

@ Belga-journalist:

I'm not paid for what I write here and I don't have time to check 24/7 what appears in the news / on internet. Hence I posted a link to an article that appeared both in Dutch and French, and that is free available for every one, also for readers without subscription: HLN.be and 7sur7.be. Both articles clearly state "source: Belga", and there were quotes in the content: a proof for me that the Belga journalist was present there. Hence I wrote "this is what Belga thinks about today". Do you object to that "thinks about today"? Objection noted - I have edited into "writes about today".

Regarding your remark about the trade unions' opinion on yesterdays' event: when there is clear communication available from executive management (Thorsten Dirks & Christina Foerster), I regard that as far more important and relevant then what trade unions think about it.

Belga-journalist

Passenger wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 09:30 @ Belga-journalist:

I'm not paid for what I write here and I don't have time to check 24/7 what appears in the news / on internet. Hence I posted a link to an article that appeared both in Dutch and French, and that is free available for every one, also for readers without subscription: HLN.be and 7sur7.be. Both articles clearly state "source: Belga", and there were quotes in the content: a proof for me that the Belga journalist was present there. Hence I wrote "this is what Belga thinks about today". Do you object to that "thinks about today"? Objection noted - I have edited into "writes about today".

Regarding your remark about the trade unions' opinion on yesterdays' event: when there is clear communication available from executive management (Thorsten Dirks & Christina Foerster), I regard that as far more important and relevant then what trade unions think about it.

Hey Passenger,
You are right, there was nothing wrong with your links. The reaction of André underneath it made me interpret it in a negative way (like if it was with the purpose of showing that we only write what management "dictates").

Let's end the discussion and focus on Brussels Airlines again :-)

Belga-journalist

sn26567 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 08:46 Welcome to Aviation 24.be, Belga journalist! Our apologies and respect for your work.

Thanks André. Sorry for the nature of my first post, but I felt I had to defend our work...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Belga-journalist wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 10:17 Let's end the discussion and focus on Brussels Airlines again :-)
Well, there is an interesting new fact indeed - which I have already mentionned a few days ago: the Brussels Airlines nv/sa annual account 2017 has been published. If president Trump would comment on it, he would say: "it's not good. It's bad. It's very bad".

This is what I wrote about it: an operational profit of 3,92m € but a final loss of 61,87m €. Mainly due to the repayment of government aid (40,1m), increasing costs of the 22/03/2016 terror attack to 76m and insurers refuse to cover all of it) and the integration of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium.

There must be someone with accountancy experience here?
http://cri.nbb.be/bc9/web/catalog?lang= ... 0400853488

Verrry off topic: same applies for the Air Belgium sa/nv annual account 2017:
http://cri.nbb.be/bc9/web/catalog?lang= ... 0648801623

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Cathay Pacific has signed a codeshare agreement with Brussels Airlines for seven destinations: Berlin Tegel, Hamburg, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Oslo and Prague.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/catha ... customers/
https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... codeshare/