Eurostar pax figures-extraordinary!!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lanewalk

Eurostar pax figures-extraordinary!!

Post by lanewalk »

Eurostar claim to have a market share of 59% of the rail/air market on the London-Brussels route. Does anyone know where one can get the figures to verify this?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Welcome to Luchtzak, lanewalk.

I have no figures, but I believe Eurostar. Airlines are cutting the number of flights between London and Paris/Brussels (e.g. Ryanair stopped flying Beauvais/Stansted and Charleroi/Stansted, BA cancels one daily BRU-LHR flight, etc.).

Meanwhile, Eurostar is increasing the number of daily rotatiions: this was made possible by a faster (shorter) journey.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Incidently, do you know that the EuroStar timetables are mentioned in the OAG under the IATA code 9F?

Stations on the Brussels-London route:

Brussels Midi/Zuid (ZYR)
Lille (XDB)
Ashford Rail Station (QDH)
London Waterloo (QQW)

and on the London-Pais route:

Paris Nord (XPG)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

well in my experience Eurostar is better than airplane...

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

But if you fly with SNBA to London Gatwick from Brussels
It's faster en cheaper. EBBR- EGKK : 100 € ( you pay more taxes than fare)
For the Eurostar you pay 120 € ( youth fare)
I prefer flying with SNBA and taking the train to the center

Greetings

Airbuske :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airbuske wrote:I prefer flying with SNBA and taking the train to the center
And, please, remind me the cost of the very expensive train from Gatwick to the City?
André
ex Sabena #26567

C_J

Post by C_J »

When I have to choose between a train :( and a :plane: then I maide my choice very fast :P
Just fly VLM: they take you to the center!!!

website-info

Post by website-info »

Lads and Lassies,

As someone who loves to fly, but also travels to London area frequently I use Eurostar at weekends, you get special fares of EUR29 each way, no taxes and a journey time of just over 2hrs to Waterloo and even though I go to the Heathrow area it's still easier, mostly quicker and hassle free, after arriving in Waterloo you take a train to Feltham (35mins) and then a bus to LHR (15mins) all for approx EUR40 each way. you never seem to get "cheap fares" to LHR at weekends due to the volume of commuters going from EC land home to the UK and LCY is not an option for a day trip as it closes on Saturday lunchtime until Sunday.........

Just my few cents worth...

Rgds
Tony

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

C_J wrote:Just fly VLM: they take you to the center!!!
LCY, the centre? You should look at a map, my friend!
André
ex Sabena #26567

JIMpc

Post by JIMpc »

Hej!

Keep in mind that the UK is upgrading the rail tracks between the end of the Channel Tunnel and Waterloo Station (in a public-private partnership).

Thanks to these construction works, Eurostar journey time will be reduced to only 2h5min: Brussels Centre -> London Centre!

Construction works of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (like the project is called) will be finished by 2007.

Also remember that Eurostar will refurbish its interior:
"In first class, the emphasis has been on creating the perfect environment for today’s business traveller – an extension of the office with plenty of room for working. All first class carriages include new-style seats with pushbutton reclining mechanism, new tables and table lights, power sockets for laptops or mobile phones and new snooze-friendly pillows, enabling passengers to simply relax in their own time.

The two bar buffet cars on each Eurostar train have been refreshed with wood-style panelling, new flooring, and new bar counter and table tops. All toilets have been changed, sporting a new silver design.

In standard class, the main changes include more comfortable seating, new carpets, leather anti-macassars, and extra luggage space because of the removal of some seats. Each train now has 750 seats. Two standard class carriages also have power sockets installed."

SOURCE: EUROSTAR

The Channel-battle will become harder and harder... (certainly to be continued).

JIM

More information on the Eurostarwebsite