Snowfall hits European airports (10/11/12 December 2017)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Diversions from around the globe (medical, technical, ...) 2017

Post by luchtzak »

London Heathrow currently closed due, most likely due to snowfall

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/snowf ... n-airports

convair

Re: Abnormalities in BRU-ANR-CRL-LGG-OST in 2017

Post by convair »

nordikcam wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 19:29
convair wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 18:44
nordikcam wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 17:34 Despite light snowfall on BRU, the JFK flight is SN's only long-haul flight that was canceled on departure ... a reason ?
Again! :roll:
Yes. Good evening, I think I can ask the question. I also think you do not have to answer me. I think that SN's long-haul flights are not very credible and that affects me personally. I make 20 long haul flights a year AR to YYZ / YVR and LAX by CDG or AMS and if it could be from BRU, it would be nice.
I do not like flying via an American company on intercontinental flights. I wonder about the recurrence of cancellations knowing that this is a very "touchy" topic on this site. ;) No answer is an answer. ;)
Good evening to you too. I think you misinterpreted my comment :) . I fully understand your frustration at the lack of reliability of SN, specially on the JFK route: whenever there is a problem, it's almost always the JFK flight that is dropped.

Now that SN regularly uses A320 to Boa Vista (like today), they certainly could use them to Dakar and keep a A330 available for the "true" long-hauls. ;)

(Personnally, I wouldn't want to sit in one of these cramped A320s for 6 hours though!) ;)

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

convair wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 21:21
nordikcam wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 19:29
convair wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 18:44

Again! :roll:
Yes. Good evening, I think I can ask the question. I also think you do not have to answer me. I think that SN's long-haul flights are not very credible and that affects me personally. I make 20 long haul flights a year AR to YYZ / YVR and LAX by CDG or AMS and if it could be from BRU, it would be nice.
I do not like flying via an American company on intercontinental flights. I wonder about the recurrence of cancellations knowing that this is a very "touchy" topic on this site. ;) No answer is an answer. ;)
Good evening to you too. I think you misinterpreted my comment :) . I fully understand your frustration at the lack of reliability of SN, specially on the JFK route: whenever there is a problem, it's almost always the JFK flight that is dropped.

Now that SN regularly uses A320 to Boa Vista (like today), they certainly could use them to Dakar and keep a A330 available for the "true" long-hauls. ;)

(Personnally, I wouldn't want to sit in one of these cramped A320s for 6 hours though!) ;)
Thx for friendly answer... :) Yeap some frustration and in my case 2 YYZ cancelled at the beginning of 2017, 1 JFK last year ! Enough is enough. And sorry if I misinterpreted your message. Good evening or night ! ;)

sukhoi

Post by sukhoi »

It's simply why JFK in JFK you have many options for overbook the passanger on Lufthansa/swiss/Austrian fights on african routes not because less connectivity and less Lufthansa so they passanger are stranded that's te reason why JFK Always Will ben cancelled by problems and a320 on african routes An a320 is smaller so not all these passangers can make the fight and verry little cargo and cargo is just inportand on African routes

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

A Wizzair A320 needed three take off runs at CRL today:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4b22877c&opt=0

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Today interesting rare weather case : NL and flanders should be covered in snow while the Ardennes are hotter and its raining.

Temp for 13h00

My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Some div to CRL and LGG already
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Some div to LUX and DUS also

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

I'm surprised how long it takes to clear an airport like BRU, especially since snow falls are not the big ones as the ones of century. I'm often @YUL or YYZ, I see snow-cleared runways almost permanently ...
m'I wrong ? Where is my mistake ? Because you can't compare an airport with frequent snow falls with Bru where it' s clearly exceptional ...do not know !

sn26567

Re: Diversions from around the globe (medical, technical, ...) 2017

Post by sn26567 »

KLM cancelled no less than 143 European flights and 10 intercontinental flights today due to snowfalls and capacity limitations in AMS.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

For those interested by this strange weather, there is a beautiful source, sadly in dutch only, but everyone understands maps.

https://www.noodweer.be/nieuwe-sneeuwkansen-maandag/

It does answer your question: yes it was planned, BRU has no excuses.
Ok maybe one : as the finns say : its easier to handle snow when its -10 than when its +1 degree

There is also a big difference between the KMI and the KNMI, one beeing in the denial.

"KLM cancelled no less than 143 European flights and 10 intercontinental flights today due to snowfalls and capacity limitations in AMS."
That's planning.

SR20

Post by SR20 »

15 diversions from BRU to LGG so far !
Attachments
20171211_141243.jpg

convair

Post by convair »

It looks like all SN european flights departing BRU have been cancelled today. On l/h, only Kinshasa was cancelled.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

The airport looks close again the TAP flight is diverted to OST....!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

jerry

Post by jerry »

LH from FRA just landed. Also, TAP is now on approach.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

jerry wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 23:15 LH from FRA just landed. Also, TAP is now on approach.
On approach..but is cancelled...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

MathijsH

Post by MathijsH »

I just landed with fr2575 in Brussels, diverted from Eindhoven...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 23:18
jerry wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 23:15 LH from FRA just landed. Also, TAP is now on approach.
On approach..but is cancelled...
I don't know if that was TP-618 - who indeed diverted to Ostend, and flew OST-BRU on Monday night.

Anyway - a lot of people have thrown a lot of sh.. on Brussels Airport today, as if we had just a little bit of snow. Predicted and thus foreseeable. The same people also say that AMS did not have the same problems today - which is totally untrue. And for AMS, it was already the second day of winter fun.

If the above people (I mean the bashers) would have followed FR24 today, they would have seen that SNOW... was out in full force today. Thanks a lot to those snow fighters! But sometimes bad luck strikes twice: you make one runway snow-free, and then the wind totally changes direction, making it impossible to use that 'clean' runway. Hence a new series of delays and cancellations.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Passenger wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 00:01 ...

Anyway - a lot of people have thrown a lot of sh.. on Brussels Airport today, as if we had just a little bit of snow. Predicted and thus foreseeable. The same people also say that AMS did not have the same problems today - which is totally untrue. And for AMS, it was already the second day of winter fun.

If the above people (I mean the bashers) would have followed FR24 today, they would have seen that SNOW... was out in full force today. Thanks a lot to those snow fighters! But sometimes bad luck strikes twice: you make one runway snow-free, and then the wind totally changes direction, making it impossible to use that 'clean' runway. Hence a new series of delays and cancellations.
Hi Passenger,

I have mixed feelings about your post.

I thank all the snow fighters as well and yes, bad luck was in play, but as this article mentions... BRU (and all the airports in BE, NL, UK and DE aren't equiped very well for snow... on purpose, because it doesn't happen that much:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/12/11 ... eeuw--en-/ (Sorry, in Dutch, but the major message is translated.)

Now, in my opinion, the major airports (runway capacity) and airlines (load factor) work so close to maximum capacity that when things go wrong, the consequences for the customers are gigantic and difficult to recover from.

If this would have happened in 10 days during the holidays exodus... It would have been an Istanbul last winter situation...

I don't blame the snow fighters, I blame their management, not just here in BRU, but in all the major airports that think they don't need good and enough snow equipment as it only happens once a year... They make enough money to guarantee the premium service they promise and get paid for.

Cheers,

Stij