BRU A380-ready in December: press briefing about the A380

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: BRU A380 ready in december, press briefing today about the A380?

Post by Atlantis »

Atlantis wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 19:49
sn26567 wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 19:14
Atlantis, that is not what I understand. The one new triple boarding bridge will be built on the current location of gates 31 and 33. Look at the picture: a triple boarding bridge takes much more place than a single or a double one.
Hmm yes indeed. The single one comes out from gate 33, while the double one comes out from gate 31.
I had a wrong interpretation.

Sorry sn26567 and PttU, my mistake

Frederic_K

Re: BRU A380 ready in december, press briefing today about the A380?

Post by Frederic_K »

PttU wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 17:44 I know there are none now, but why only one? If that one A380-gate has an issue, that's a problem for an A380. If there should ever be more than one A380 (one scheduled + one diversion?), that's a problem too, and if EK decides to schedule an A380, it limits the possibility for another airline in the future to schedule A380 too... I don't want to sound too grotesque, but as this has to be future-proof, why not make two A380-capable gates?
As proven in the past, even without a triple airbridge BRU can handle an A380.
So if there would be a temporary need to accomodate 2 A380s, I'm sure they will manage.

Given the huge investment, I think it's only fair to install one now and evaluate if additional ones are required.

Homo Aeroportus

Re: BRU A380-ready in December: press briefing about the A380

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

A pregnant skateboard like the A380 has a wingspan of 80 metres.
If your airport has a significant amount of simultaneous flights of this type, parking stands dedicated solely to this aircraft type may be justified. At any other airport, like in BRU, this would be a terribly expensive and very inefficient investment.

This is already true for the small number of “wide body” aircraft visiting BRU and having a wingspan of 60m like an A330 or 65m for a 777 or an A350.
The majority of the flights being operated by “Narrow Body” aircraft, having a wingspan of 36m or less, the stands are sized accordingly with a distance between stands axis of 43.5m to maintain the ICAO requirement for wingtip clearance.
When a wide body shows up it will enter a NB stand but, by using another centreline, will encroach on the adjacent stand such as on the A Pier stand 149 blocking 147 and so on. This layout is much more efficient and flexible.

The same logic will be applied at the stands 231 and 233 where two smaller aircraft can park simultaneously and alternately the pregnant skateboard will spread over both stands.

BRU has built a smart solution to welcome the A380 while preserving capacity.

H.A.

luchtzak

Re: BRU A380-ready in December: press briefing about the A380

Post by luchtzak »

News section vs discussion forums

Since 2014 we implemented a newspaper style on the website and starting writing our own articles, simply because other media published articles on their website based on the information that was available in our forums. Besides for over a decade André (sn26567) has put time and effort to take this website from 'just a forum' to a complete aviation website.

sn26567 and apuneger (Ivan) mentioned that our main page must be absolutely credible, the news about the A380 was incomplete. Aviation24.be has asked Brussels Airport for more news, they asked us to wait in return for a scoop. Another example: if we didn't remove an AMARE picture from our forums early 2017 the entire fun of the Brussels Airlines Amare event would have been spoiled. In return Brussels Airlines provided us the pictures upfront so we could scoop.

As everybody is responsible for its own content, we will not remove forum messages (unless they don't comply with our forum rules)