Cathay Pacific has announced new direct non-stop routes to Brussels, Dublin and Copenhagen

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Stij

Re: BRU Winter 2017-18: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Stij »

For the moment bookings on DUS-HKG are still open in March 2018...

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

On the other hand CX's DUS schedule is in sync with SN's Africa wave...
Unfortunately because I prefer late evening departures eastbound...

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Stij wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 13:30 For the moment bookings on DUS-HKG are still open in March 2018...

Cheers,

Stij
I suppose that until they formally announce the end of the route, it's going to be business as normal?

That is in case the rumored closure of DUS is indeed related to the expected opening of BRU, of course.

I just looked at the terms and conditions of the price raffle which is at the basis of this, and Cathay Pacific will notify the winners of the free tickets to the new destinations on the 31st of August in person, so I suppose we'll find out very soon if indeed we'll get to see direct flights between Brussels and Hong Kong, maybe as soon as tomorrow already?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Inquirer wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 14:43I suppose that until they formally announce the end of the route, it's going to be business as normal?
Airlines don't tend to announce route cuts.

BRU

Post by BRU »

Press release Brussels Airport:

As of 25 March 2018, Cathay Pacific will be operating a nonstop service to Hong Kong from Brussels Airport. Brussels Airport will be the 13th direct European destination in Cathay Pacific’s network.
One World alliance member Cathay Pacific will operate four flights a week from Brussels Airport using an Airbus A350, on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Flights will arrive at Brussels Airport around 7 am and will return to Hong Kong in the early afternoon around 1 pm.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/cathay- ... hong-kong/

lucas

Post by lucas »

Maybe AB can fly on the other days. But still this is really bad for them. Is it possible for AB to not fly to Hong Kong, but to another Asian city? Or to fly to Hong Kong as of 25 october, and be faster than Cathay?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

As I basically gave away yesterday already,
CX will move to BRU in the wake of the Lufthansa group codeshare deal which sees them join forces in Europe. ;)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

lucas wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 11:43 Maybe AB can fly on the other days. But still this is really bad for them. Is it possible for AB to not fly to Hong Kong, but to another Asian city? Or to fly to Hong Kong as of 25 october, and be faster than Cathay?
We will ask Air Belgium which steps they will take...

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Fantastic news, well done to those involved!

What long haul airlines except of the home carrier do we welcome now:
Air Canada, Air Transat, ANA, Cathay Pacific, Delta, Emirates, Etihad, Ethiopian, Hainan, Icelandair, Qatar, Rwandair, Thai, United, WOW Air, ...

Did I forgot some?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

The new CPH route seems to be seasonal (02MAY18-12OCT18), BRU and DUB are year round according to routesonline's information.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

luchtzak wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 12:31 We will ask Air Belgium which steps they will take...
Without AOC? Nothing. I wonder how long they are still going to sit and wait. VLM has their Slovenian subsidiary with an AOC but AB doesn't have that and for some reason I'm not sure that the FOD Mobiliteit will issue an AOC soon, maybe they'll better look at other countries to obtains an AOC?

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 12:38 Fantastic news, well done to those involved!

What long haul airlines except of the home carrier do we welcome now:
Air Canada, Air Transat, ANA, Cathay Pacific, Delta, Emirates, Etihad, Ethiopian, Hainan, Icelandair, Qatar, Rwandair, Thai, United, WOW Air, ...

Did I forgot some?
WOW air is not long haul!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Do we now if they stop Dusseldorf?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

So it's confirmed now? Great news!
I'm actually quite proud of myself that I seem to have been able to get a scoop with this news! :D

Just wondering how people like tolipanebas seem to know what's coming at BRU, even from other airlines?
Is it because as he hinted at, they are going to conclude a codeshare deal in the coming weeks with Brussels Airlines now that the route is officially launched?
Very impressed.

One final thought: this is probably the worst news Air Belgium could possibly get at the end of August. :(
Instead of a license and their last chance to launch this winter, they get this on their boardroom table?!
Very interested in reading their reaction to this news and possibly an overdue update on their own plans.

SLM

Post by SLM »

Still waiting for any news about Air Belgium...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

SLM wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 13:36 Still waiting for any news about Air Belgium...
Air Belgium comments on the launch of Cathay Pacific Hong Kong - Brussels, the airline added that the first Air Belgium aircraft will arrive in the next 10 weeks!

Forum discussion: https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 38#p355138

Article: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-bel ... ls-launch/

Bralo20

Re: Cathay Pacific has announced it will open new direct non-stop routes to Brussels, Dublin and Copenhagen

Post by Bralo20 »

Wonder what they will do with the plane if they don't have the AOC "in the next 10 weeks", put it somewhere on display? Or push it into an abandoned corner of Brussels Airport?

travellover

Re: Cathay Pacific has announced it will open new direct non-stop routes to Brussels, Dublin and Copenhagen

Post by travellover »

Great news. Like Tokyo two years ago, Hong Kong was really a big miss on the BRU world map. Both cities were never directly connected by any passenger flight, if I'm correct ?
In the nineties, departing from LIS, TP connected BRU to Macau during more or less two years (1995-1997), with an A343.
The odds of seeing JJ (Oneworld) following the same way than CX to BRU are probably growing, I guess.
In that case, maybe SN, TG, CX, NH, and even HU could help BRU to become a small scissor hub between Brazil or Peru and Asia.
JJ has code-sharing agreements with LH, UA, TP, AC.
Each of them * airlines.
Cheers

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bralo20 wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 12:49
luchtzak wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 12:31 We will ask Air Belgium which steps they will take...
Without AOC? Nothing. I wonder how long they are still going to sit and wait. VLM has their Slovenian subsidiary with an AOC but AB doesn't have that and for some reason I'm not sure that the FOD Mobiliteit will issue an AOC soon, maybe they'll better look at other countries to obtains an AOC?
Air Belgium says that the FPS Mobility (or its agency the Belgian CAA) is not responsible for the delays. Questioned by Luchtzak.be, Air Belgium declared: "Starting a new airline means passion, hard work and ... patience. Delays are due to internal progress, not the BCAA as a few media reported."
André
ex Sabena #26567

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I guess the next Asian destination could be Singapore with Singapore Airlines?

Wich major Asian destination still missing in BRU, I see Singapore for Singapore Airlines, Seoul for Asiana, Delhi and Teheran for Brussels Airlines, what else?