Electronic devices banned on Royal Jordanian (and other airlines) flights to the US and the UK

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Electronic devices banned on Royal Jordanian (and other airlines) flights to the US and the UK

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Re: Electronic devices banned on Royal Jordanian (and other airlines) flights to the US and the UK

Post by sn26567 »

Strangely, it is now confirmed that Emirates Dubai-Milan-JFK and Dubai-Athens-Newark flights are not affected by the Electronics Ban. Which seems to imply that Dubai airport is safe and has been included in the electronics ban only for economic (= protectionist) reasons, and not safety reasons.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 21:13 Strangely, it is now confirmed that Emirates Dubai-Milan-JFK and Dubai-Athens-Newark flights are not affected by the Electronics Ban. Which seems to imply that Dubai airport is safe and has been included in the electronics ban only for economic (= protectionist) reasons, and not safety reasons.
It is an item that was also discussed in "The economist", ME3 are getting too strong ...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Electronics ban 'flaw' exposed at Istanbul Airport

The Independent's travel correspondent Simon Calder claims that after extra checks for passengers travelling to the UK at Istanbul Ataturk, he was allowed to mingle with others who had not gone through the same process. He says this could have allowed him to be handed a laptop or iPad, which are now banned on flights from the airport to the US and UK. He believes "it is a security flaw that renders rigorous checks futile".
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 17:30 Electronics ban 'flaw' exposed at Istanbul Airport

The Independent's travel correspondent Simon Calder claims that after extra checks for passengers travelling to the UK at Istanbul Ataturk, he was allowed to mingle with others who had not gone through the same process. He says this could have allowed him to be handed a laptop or iPad, which are now banned on flights from the airport to the US and UK. He believes "it is a security flaw that renders rigorous checks futile".
Indeed a seperate security check is due, like I told before...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Emirates intends to adjust its offering if customer demand drops following a US ban on in-flight electronics. The airline called for the measure to be imposed more widely.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Canada dispatches a team to Brussels to assess threat of laptops on aeroplanes. Also looking at an imminent ban?

https://t.co/55YPPJh3JG

... and IATA is dissatisfied with the electronics ban and asks for alternatives

https://www.aviation24.be/organisations/ia ... trictions/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bose noise-cancelling headphones are hit by the US and UK electronics ban!

Very annoying for those who want a quiet flight. I wonder how Emirates is going to handle this :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

After rumours and even real proposals saying that the electronics ban would be extended to flights originating in Europe, the US Department of Homeland Security had talks in Brussels with the European Commission. No decision was taken though. Here is a US account of the meeting:

André
ex Sabena #26567

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

sn26567 wrote: 20 May 2017, 17:10 After rumours and even real proposals saying that the electronics ban would be extended to flights originating in Europe, the US Department of Homeland Security had talks in Brussels with the European Commission. No decision was taken though...
Another article pointed to all international flights (so not only Europe) to or FROM the USA...

This could be fun for travellers (like me) whose infosec policy specifies that I must keep my laptop (and the semi-confidential information) always under my custody...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

evyncke wrote: 30 May 2017, 11:31
sn26567 wrote: 20 May 2017, 17:10 After rumours and even real proposals saying that the electronics ban would be extended to flights originating in Europe, the US Department of Homeland Security had talks in Brussels with the European Commission. No decision was taken though...
Another article pointed to all international flights (so not only Europe) to or FROM the USA...

This could be fun for travellers (like me) whose infosec policy specifies that I must keep my laptop (and the semi-confidential information) always under my custody...
This might be a stupid question, but does the laptop ban also count for US carriers ?

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

luchtzak wrote: 30 May 2017, 13:42 This might be a stupid question, but does the laptop ban also count for US carriers ?
No stupid questions, only naive answers :-)

The article did not mention anything about the carrier but I understood it as all carriers (and then good luck to do it from a US airport where all gates are after security control).

Some comments on the article even mentioned noise-reduction headset and normal phones would be banned.

The article articulated clearly that 'this was under discussion' so no rule yet

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

Answering to myself with http://www.lesoir.be/1513716/article/ac ... etats-unis...
Les autorités américaines n’interdiront pas les ordinateurs portables en cabine sur les vols en provenance des pays de l’Union européenne en direction des USA, rapporte mardi Politico

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

evyncke wrote: 30 May 2017, 20:15 Answering to myself with http://www.lesoir.be/1513716/article/ac ... etats-unis...
Les autorités américaines n’interdiront pas les ordinateurs portables en cabine sur les vols en provenance des pays de l’Union européenne en direction des USA, rapporte mardi Politico
Yes. And you may classify that as another fake news.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I'm pretty sure that this incident has already been transmitted to the Trump task force, dealing with the matter. When this laptop would have been stored in the hold luggage, we could have had... etc

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a9b4d48&opt=0

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

TSA‏Compte certifié @TSA 11 minil y a 11 minutes

Etihad Airways & Abu Dhabi In’t have implemented the required initial enhanced security measures. Travelers from Abu Dhabi will...1/2

TSA‏Compte certifié @TSA 13 minil y a 13 minutes

…now be able to bring devices in cabin of US bound flights. Follow for continued efforts to raise the baseline on aviation security. 2/2
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It was rather strange that Abu Dhabi, which has U.S. pre-clearance, had a computer ban. This is now corrected!
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Saudia expects the in-cabin ban on electronics on direct flights to the US to be lifted by 19 July 2017, following Turkish Airlines on 05 July. Emirates is still in talks over the restrictions, while the ban was recently lifted on the Etihad flights from neighbouring Abu Dhabi.
André
ex Sabena #26567