2017 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flightlover

Re: 2017 Liège Airport (LGG/EBLG) latest news

Post by flightlover »

simulator wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 10:43
as for QR in LGG..... everybody in LGG knows that QR had the intention to make it a (the?) major hub for Europe, but that their plans had to be changed in favour of LUX due to the appaling level of service from the handling agent in LGG and the total lack of improvement from that side. Pity that all the good work from LGG Airport Authorities in attracting new carriers and markets are being killed by a handling agent which refuses to improve its services....

And that is exactly why airlines choose for BRU as their Belgian preferred airport (and one handler in specific).
Sadly the crisis in aircargo made the headquarters opt for the least expensive options. Resulting in disappointing service levels and a factual closure of what could be called a EU hub operation in some cases.

The workers on ground are also the reason why DHL is investing again in BRU.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

can you show link / reveal source where it's mentioned that QR wants to kill CV? interested to see that....personaly I can not believe that a foreign airline would have pleasure in killing a homecarrier.... seems to me this would be commercial suicide on the long term....not a single government would allow a homecarrier to be 'killed' by an outside player....
It's not a subjet I master 100% I have to say... i'm reading articles from the luxemboug press and it's complex enough. Qatar was a stakeholder in Cargolux, then left, but gained the 5th freedom as compensation (no proof of that though) and now Cargolux seems to be scared to death that Qatar will do a price dumping.
So my conclusion is ... well... my conclusion. maybe you have a different one.
This article is a good summary i guess: https://www.cargoforwarder.eu/2016/07/0 ... -cargolux/
It's maybe the wrong topic to discuss it ... let's make one for LUX if you want to discuss it further...
But yeah ... LGG lost a massive opportunity because of that ...
not a complete loss since many flights are still passing thru, but it could have been a lot more intense.
due to the appaling level of service from the handling agent in LGG and the total lack of improvement from that side.
What's the name of that handling agent that nobody seems to like ?
I wonder how LGG grew so much in the past then, if it is such a disaster.
Do you mean it should have been growing much faster ?
Pity that all the good work from LGG Airport Authorities in attracting new carriers and markets are being killed by a handling agent which refuses to improve its services
Can't they do anyting ?
When does the contract terminate ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

simulator wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 10:43 as for QR in LGG..... everybody in LGG knows that QR had the intention to make it a (the?) major hub for Europe, but that their plans had to be changed in favour of LUX due to the appaling level of service from the handling agent in LGG and the total lack of improvement from that side. Pity that all the good work from LGG Airport Authorities in attracting new carriers and markets are being killed by a handling agent which refuses to improve its services....
May I ask who is that appalling handling agent?
André
ex Sabena #26567

simulator

Post by simulator »

it's the current H/AGT from QR, not too difficult to find out; their headoffice is located in a country with a red flag and a white cross..... you should know this SN26567, same people / country that helped bring our beloved Sabena down....

simulator

Post by simulator »

@ Acid
thanks for that link, interesting reading, appreciated!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

simulator wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 15:50 it's the current H/AGT from QR, not too difficult to find out; their headoffice is located in a country with a red flag and a white cross..... you should know this SN26567, same people / country that helped bring our beloved Sabena down....
Before moving operations elsewhere (a costly option), QR could first have looked for another handling agent, no?
André
ex Sabena #26567

simulator

Post by simulator »

sn26567 wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 16:08
simulator wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 15:50 it's the current H/AGT from QR, not too difficult to find out; their headoffice is located in a country with a red flag and a white cross..... you should know this SN26567, same people / country that helped bring our beloved Sabena down....
Before moving operations elsewhere (a costly option), QR could first have looked for another handling agent, no?
Both H/AGT available in LGG have been used for what was told.....
Reason why they left the first one are unknown (mind you, if you leave one H/AGT to go to another one next door then something must have been wrong, let it be service, procedures, price, who knows.....guess one would otherwise not leave, no? I for sure would not leave if I'm pleased....( have been seeing same garage dealer for >20 years now, he's not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but his service is impeccable...so I stay...)
Now that the second H/AGT is (also?) not performing to satisfaction, although plenty of promisses were given (strong point for these people, they are good talkers but lousy executers.....) what can QR do?
Maybe LGG Airport Authorities should have a look into their H/AGT companies and into the requests / requirements from (actual or future) customers and see if there are any shortcomings that must be addressed?

Something just doesn't add up here, why would QR enter the hole of the wolf (CV) and run away with it's "food" if they can be a major operator only 1 hour drive away at LGG without the competition they face in LUX?
LUX has, according to articles link, it's limitations on parking spots and nightcurfew, something LGG has not.....
I can only deduct that something is really wrong in LGG for airlines not wanting to develop their business there....

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

while reading you is certainly interesting, I have the feeling it's only the top of the iceberg part of the story. Something just doesn't add up here, as you say.
QR is almost at home in LUX, they have abnormal rights. This create a huge political stress in Luxembourg from the little I understand.
Competition one hour away (2 in fact) or locally is still competition. if you are rich enough, buy them. Tried. Failed. If you are strong enough, kill 'em.
Once done, they can still move again, we've seen that not too long ago, remember ... (wishful thinking here, of course)
I don't see QR going away from LGG. In fact we can see the opposite ... they stick around quite a bit.
But to be fair, we have no proof these are more than just fuel stops ... so the handling agent problem ... dunno ...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

simulator wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 16:32
sn26567 wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 16:08
Both H/AGT available in LGG have been used for what was told.....
Reason why they left the first one are unknown (mind you, if you leave one H/AGT to go to another one next door then something must have been wrong, let it be service, procedures, price, who knows.....guess one would otherwise not leave, no? I for sure would not leave if I'm pleased....( have been seeing same garage dealer for >20 years now, he's not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but his service is impeccable...so I stay...)
Now that the second H/AGT is (also?) not performing to satisfaction, although plenty of promisses were given (strong point for these people, they are good talkers but lousy executers.....) what can QR do?
Maybe LGG Airport Authorities should have a look into their H/AGT companies and into the requests / requirements from (actual or future) customers and see if there are any shortcomings that must be addressed?

Something just doesn't add up here, why would QR enter the hole of the wolf (CV) and run away with it's "food" if they can be a major operator only 1 hour drive away at LGG without the competition they face in LUX?
LUX has, according to articles link, it's limitations on parking spots and nightcurfew, something LGG has not.....
I can only deduct that something is really wrong in LGG for airlines not wanting to develop their business there....
The contract with the first H/AGT was terminated because a network deal was made with the other one. Biggest negative for the first one: very local network for cargo handling.

Original plan was to bring more flights into BRU, and they where doing so. Until they made the switch to the other H/AGT.

globetrotter

Etihad cargo to Liege

Post by globetrotter »

EY cargo are operating twice weekly 777F as Abu Dhabi-Liege since February or earlier, according to their schedule.

Acid-drop

Re: Etihad cargo to Liege

Post by Acid-drop »

I didnt see anything like hat...
Just one horse charter.

Whats your source ?

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Here its listed as new http://www.etihadcargo.com/documents/et ... hedule.pdf

Moscow Sheremetyevo is also added with own 777F, previously served as BSA on Air Bridge Cargo.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Nice.
I wonder when they will start

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The company L’Escale Liège is investing 18 million euros in a major real estate project at Airport City. This initial investment is the successful outcome of the joint efforts of SOWAER and Liege Airport.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/liege-a ... e-airport/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

luchtzak wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 19:35 The company L’Escale Liège is investing 18 million euros in a major real estate project at Airport City. This initial investment is the successful outcome of the joint efforts of SOWAER and Liege Airport.

When it's this company, it will be "invested by the bank":
http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/tsv_pd ... 306049.pdf

convair

Post by convair »

luchtzak wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 19:35 The company L’Escale Liège is investing 18 million euros in a major real estate project at Airport City. This initial investment is the successful outcome of the joint efforts of SOWAER and Liege Airport.

When they say Airport City is located South of the airport, I assume it is South of the E42 motorway as well.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

FedEx says it is adding 3 new connections at Liege Airport and increasing investment in the Liege sorting facility to a total of €115 million.

But apparently, the 3 "new" routes were former TNT routes, which means only that American aircraft and crew will replace Belgian ones...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

At least 2 of those 3 are intra-EU and will be with 757.
https://m.lecho.be/entreprises/aviation ... rt/9873897

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

According to Belgian business newspaper L'Echo Air China Cargo, an all-cargo subsidiary of Air China will start weekly flights between Liege Airport and Shanghai. From 7 June a Boeing 777 will connect both cities on a weekly basis. The aircraft has a cargo capacity of 100 tons, Liege airport confirmed the news to the newspaper but refrains from further comments (but re-tweeted the news). [ 136 more words ]

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-chi ... -shanghai/