Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium in 2017

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium in 2017

Post by sn26567 »

Condor (the Thomas Cook airline in Germany) filed revised operations out of Munich and Frankfurt by a leased airBaltic (Latvia) B737-300 for summer 2017 season.

The carrier will also see service with a leased Thomas Cook Belgium A320 operating to/from Hanover.

-----------------------------------------------

Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium in 2015
Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium in 2016
André
ex Sabena #26567

iMorris

Re: Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium in 2017

Post by iMorris »

The future of TCAB is unsure for season 2017-18. After the failed Volaris contract in Mexico and US (see TCAB in 2016 thread), and increasing (low cost) competition out of BRU on most routes, things are going from bad to worse.

Officially, there are still 5 A320 aircraft in the fleet, however, only one or two aircraft fly a limited number of routes every other day. Some days see zero aircraft leaving the tarmac :!:

:arrow: Information correct on 13-01-17:

last flight OO-TCH: BRU-TFS-BRU on 08-01-17
last flight OO-TCT: BRU-TFS-BRU on 09-01-17
last flight OO-TCV: BRU-TFS-BRU on 12-01-17
last flight OO-TCW: BRU-BVC-SID-BRU on 12-01-17
last flight OO-TCX: BRU-LPA-BRU on 11-01-17

OO-TCQ was transferred to SN AOC in the last quarter of 2016 and painted accordingly.

Historically, winter months have always been quiet at holiday charter airlines, especially at TCAB. The situation this year however, is unprecedented. Record low number of block hours flown, most crews flying an absolute minimum in order to keep current, operations out FRA and MUC for Condor have brought some relief, but are suspended as of now for reasons unknown.

The majority of traditional holiday destination routes out of BRU (and CRL, OST, LGG and ANR for that matter) see fearsome competition of TB, FR and others, with lower fares and/or more flexibility and frequencies.

The question remains if the summer season will offset the winter losses. Would be a shame to see them disappear.

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

Really sad indeed. I was very surprised to see 3 A320's on the ground in BRU on Saturday 07/01 (the last week-end of winter holidays). If they have no business for such periods, I wonder how long they can survive like this :-(

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

The thing is that now, Thomas Cook Airlines is detach from the tour operator Thomas Cook. And I feel like nowadays Thomas Cook is using much more Brussels Airlines and turkish charter for Turkey than Thomas Cook Airlines it self. I really start to think that Thomas Cook could soon stop flying and Brussels Airlnes would take over all the business.

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

No chance to see their (small) fleet going to Germany or the UK?

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello

They can compete with Ad-hoc charters or urgent ACMI requests like the Carpatair F100 that was AOG last week in BRU and used a JAF 737.

But if you do not have that department anymore it stops.
At least this would create Some cashflow and work. Or maybe They just do not have enough crew in winter period to add flights.

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

iMorris wrote: 13 Jan 2017, 10:03 The future of TCAB is unsure for season 2017-18.
Hello iMorris. Welcome to Luchtzak and thanks for your informative post.
André
ex Sabena #26567

iMorris

Post by iMorris »

sn26567 wrote: 13 Jan 2017, 15:05
iMorris wrote: 13 Jan 2017, 10:03 The future of TCAB is unsure for season 2017-18.
Hello iMorris. Welcome to Luchtzak and thanks for your informative post.
Hi! And thanks. Been a long time reader, first time poster. It's never too late I guess ;)

iMorris

Post by iMorris »

Some more food for thought:

"You gotta spend money to make money"

TCAB started operations in the aftermath of the Sabena bankruptcy in late 2001 and later when Sobelair bankrupted in 2004, Thomas Cook Airlines started operating on most of those Q7 short/medium haul routes. They operated with a limited budget and a few twelve year old A320s, inherited from myTravel in the UK.

Initially, it seemed like the goose that laid golden eggs. But we are talking 2004, more than a decade ago. The world was a different place. Individuals, couples and families, most of them went to travel agencies to book their holiday packages. Only a few years ago, TCAB made it possible to buy ticket only, when their IATA code changed from FQ to HQ. For the first few years, the airline was soaring, to Belgian post Sabena standards at least. Then came Jetairfly.

Jetairfly (now TUI fly Belgium) started in 2004 using 5 B737s. And today, 13 years later, they have a modern and young fleet of 20+ narrow bodies and operate a B787 as well as a B767. Now how did that happen? Same business model? Not quite. TUI invested in brand new aircraft, they have a well thought out network and even built their own Jetairport headquarters at Brussels Airport. Investment driven growth, it has paid off so far.

Needless to say, low cost airlines such as Ryanair and Vueling haven't made the TCAB struggle easier. Benefit of scale, cheap labour cost and preferential treatment at airports such as CRL have made it difficult, if not impossible to compete with them.

The issue with TCAB is and always has been lack of capital to invest. Their business model hasn't evolved, that is to say, it hasn't changed at all compared to the bigger players out there.

Time will tell, but it would seem the sky ahead looks dark for TCAB.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

For summer 2017 Thomas Cook will base 2 aircraft in Germany.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

What about tickets booked for summer? I'm flying HQ in June to Lanzarote for, at that time, a well deserved holiday and don't want to see iT screwed up!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 19 Jan 2017, 18:26 What about tickets booked for summer? I'm flying HQ in June to Lanzarote for, at that time, a well deserved holiday and don't want to see iT screwed up!
Why should your flight not happen?

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

I don't know, I'm just asking myself that question...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 19 Jan 2017, 19:12 I don't know, I'm just asking myself that question...
I would not worry!

iMorris

Post by iMorris »

luchtzak wrote: 19 Jan 2017, 18:19 For summer 2017 Thomas Cook will base 2 aircraft in Germany.
I'm curious as to where you got this from. Even internally there is no official communication regarding the summer schedule yet.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

iMorris wrote: 20 Jan 2017, 18:34
luchtzak wrote: 19 Jan 2017, 18:19 For summer 2017 Thomas Cook will base 2 aircraft in Germany.
I'm curious as to where you got this from. Even internally there is no official communication regarding the summer schedule yet.
I will correct then: it is rumoured that Thomas Cook will base 2 Airbus in Germany.

iMorris

Post by iMorris »

luchtzak wrote: 20 Jan 2017, 18:48
iMorris wrote: 20 Jan 2017, 18:34
I will correct then: it is rumoured that Thomas Cook will base 2 Airbus in Germany.
;) Thanks. Thought I missed something major! Could be a good option for the TCAB crews, assisting the German Condor colleagues.

SN_forever

Post by SN_forever »

Thomas Cook dreigt met vertrek uit Zaventem

http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170203_ ... rce=google

Thomas Cook Airlines zegt zelfs als eerste maatschappij openlijk dat ze overweegt uit Zaventem te vertrekken. “Wij zijn alle pistes aan het onderzoeken, waaronder ook een totaal vertrek uit Zaventem”, zegt woordvoerder Koen van den Bosch. “Onze raad van bestuur is erg ongerust. Mochten we een deel of het geheel van onze operaties uit Zaventem verhuizen, dan zou het buiten België zijn.”

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello

How I see it.

1) Deal with Volaris in South America was cancelled (big lease contract in the winter)
2) Deal with Neckermann in Holland died / Neckermann took Small Planet Airlines...

My question:

3) Good management? Or on purpose some Germans (since the management is since a few years a mix of Belgians and Germans, were 5 years ago it was still 100% Belgians) try to kill the Belgium side?

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

SN_forever wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 12:04 Thomas Cook dreigt met vertrek uit Zaventem

http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170203_ ... rce=google

Thomas Cook Airlines zegt zelfs als eerste maatschappij openlijk dat ze overweegt uit Zaventem te vertrekken. “Wij zijn alle pistes aan het onderzoeken, waaronder ook een totaal vertrek uit Zaventem”, zegt woordvoerder Koen van den Bosch. “Onze raad van bestuur is erg ongerust. Mochten we een deel of het geheel van onze operaties uit Zaventem verhuizen, dan zou het buiten België zijn.”
I think this could be a good idea to put all the non transit flight to regional airport this could already decrease the total trafic without hurting it.

And than you stop the night flights and I'm sure you can get to an agreement with Brussels Gewest.
Hasta la victoria siempre.