Diversions from around the globe (medical, technical, ...) 2017

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Homo Aeroportus

Re: Diversions from around the globe (medical, technical, ...) 2017

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

No fun :
METAR: LTBA 062050Z 35024KT 0550 R35R/0375U R17L/0500N R05/1100U R23/0900U +SHSN BLSN VV004 M02/M03 Q1011 R17L/4/0091 R17R/4/0091 R05/4/0091 NOSIG RMK RWY17L 35019KT RWY05 34018KT RWY23 36017G29KT
Heavy snow showers + blowing snow + 24kt wind.

And not about to improve soon :
TAF: LTBA 061640Z 0618/0724 35025G35KT 1200 SHSN BKN007 BKN020 TEMPO 0618/0622 0400 +SHSN VV002 TEMPO 0622/0702 0400 +SHSN VV002 BECMG 0702/0705 1600
Heavy snow, low viz, gusting to 35kts.

Another day in paradise.

H.A.

Courtesy Allmetsat.

Magiktrix

Post by Magiktrix »

This one tonight in IST is really special. Diversion to Minsk :?: Where the temperature is actually -24 :lol:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 1/#c1880fe

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Magiktrix wrote:This one tonight in IST is really special. Diversion to Minsk :?: Where the temperature is actually -24 :lol:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 1/#c1880fe
The temperature is not a problem, what is the problem are the strong wing and the snow.

Stij

Post by Stij »

And I m blocked in CPT as our flight didn t leave IST last night... our travel agent will try to sort it out... any suggestions?

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Stij wrote:And I m blocked in CPT as our flight didn t leave IST last night... our travel agent will try to sort it out... any suggestions?
OMG! At least the airline has a duty of care. Either provide a hotel and meals and telephone calls until the plane arrives, or book you on another airline, which should probably be Star Alliance.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS. Winter travel always carries its amount of risk.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Stij wrote:And I m blocked in CPT as our flight didn t leave IST last night... our travel agent will try to sort it out... any suggestions?

Stij
Hello Stij,
Sorry to read. No fun especially with children but your best option may be to stay put. As André said TK must care and any move from your side will be from your pocket.
I had a quick look and flights leaving today Saturday from CPT to BRU will cost anything north of 2000 EUR, per person. Leaving tomorrow you have ET at about 900€ STD 15:05 local, STA BRU 08:00 on Monday.

Current situation at LTBA/IST is hell, heavy snow, strong winds. Have quickly run FR24 and saw very few arrivals since midnight, many diversions, and zero departure till midday today.
Same Wx expected for the coming hours.
Current TAF :
TAF: LTBA 070440Z 0706/0812 35025G40KT 1600 SHSN BLSN BKN007 BKN020 TEMPO 0707/0710 0900 +SHSN VV005 TEMPO 0712/0716 1200 +SHSN VV006 BECMG 0717/0720 35015KT 6000 -SHSN BKN010 BKN025
So forecast is for less wind, less snow as from 1700z today Saturday.
So it gives them +6hours to resume ops and there is a fair chance that TK44 will leave early sunday morning, arriving CPT early afternoon.
I hope you'll be able to catch this return flight on TK45 then. I suggest you push yr travel agent to consider the option of TK39 leaving JNB at 19:30 local (tomorrow at best as well).

Look at the sunny side of it, the rest is unfortunately out of control.

H.A.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Doesn't Turkish give you a new flight ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Thanks all! Our travel agent in Belgium couldn t reach the group department if TK.

I called TK here (immediate response, I guess my fellow travellers dont know yet) and the agent claimed because we re a group of 12 there werent that many options except for thursday s TK flight.

My travel agent told me accept it and we would try to improve on monday...

Given the age of my kids I prefer not to much changes and stops, so if Thursday it is... fine...

I ll keep you posted

Stij

We dont really incur costs here so that s ok...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote:
OMG! At least the airline has a duty of care. Either provide a hotel and meals and telephone calls until the plane arrives, or book you on another airline, which should probably be Star Alliance.
Inbound flights into Belgium from Türkish Airlines, a non-EU-carrier, are not covered by EU Rule 261/2004. So European (EU) legislation about assistance & care doesn't apply. Without EU-Rule 261/2004, the care is settled by Türkish Airlines' own General Conditions and by the Montreal Convention (1999). However, Article 19 there unfortunately excludes whatever liability, costs and/or damage in case of force majeure/overmacht/hand of god. Which is the case here: a very rare Istanbul Airport weather chaos.

Only possibility before coming home on Thursday: TK amends your booking status into Involuntary Rerouting, and then looks into their computer for a Star partner with availability, example CPT-FRA-BRU. Maybe you can split up the group of 12? Specially around this time of the year, end of Christmas holidays, you will never get 12 seats together on another carrier. 4+4+4 would be much easier.

Best place to ask for this favour is CPT Central Terminal Building 1st floor office A.O. 110: the local TK office indeed. A box of Belgian chocolate, if any left, will help:
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/c ... /cape-town

ihd-fc

Post by ihd-fc »

Hello

SN501/07JAN BRUJFK is diverting to YUL due to weather JFK. As flight already had a huge delay ex BRU because of terrible handling Swissport BRU crew is now out of duty. Pax and crew will sleep on YUL and continue to JFK tomorrow. SN502/07JAN is cancelled.

Information not confirmed by SN, but this is what I can hear from airport staff in JFK.
Attachments
Schermopname (56).png
Schermopname (56).png (447.8 KiB) Viewed 3846 times

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

SN501 BRU-JFK diverted to YUL...
Surprised as he didn't even hold at all... the others arriving with him, KL777, AF380 etc... all held for about 20mins and landed...
SN501 was already 3 hours late out of BRU, you would think with the wx forecast for JFK he would have had some holding fuel... very poor planning which will lead to a mega delay on the return...

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

Actually it looks like the return SN502 is cancelled..

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

JustPlanes wrote: SN501 was already 3 hours late out of BRU, you would think with the wx forecast for JFK he would have had some holding fuel... very poor planning which will lead to a mega delay on the return...
The old A333s are take off weight limited to JFK. They had to choose between cargo or fuel.

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

Poiu wrote:
JustPlanes wrote: SN501 was already 3 hours late out of BRU, you would think with the wx forecast for JFK he would have had some holding fuel... very poor planning which will lead to a mega delay on the return...
The old A333s are take off weight limited to JFK. They had to choose between cargo or fuel.
On a day like today with the weather forecast for JFK you do not come here without any fuel. Cargo can go tomorrow and they would have had their plane into JFK... and operated the return flight...
Now they have a couple of hundred people (and cargo) up in Montreal... the bill for that alone will be astronomical.... and then they will lose the full revenue of SN502 tonight and probably have to spend a lot of money to reroute people.... so I think 5 Tons of cargo (maybe $5000) is peanuts compared to the bill today... just my 2 cents having worked in operations at Sabena in North America for 15 years...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Strange: they diverted very early to Montreal, and it took them 50 minutes (after diverting) before landing there.
luchtzak 2017 01 07 SN501.jpg
luchtzak 2017 01 07 SN501.jpg (147.33 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 01#c1aae24

ihd-fc

Post by ihd-fc »

JustPlanes wrote:
Poiu wrote:
On a day like today with the weather forecast for JFK you do not come here without any fuel. Cargo can go tomorrow and they would have had their plane into JFK... and operated the return flight...
Now they have a couple of hundred people (and cargo) up in Montreal... the bill for that alone will be astronomical.... and then they will lose the full revenue of SN502 tonight and probably have to spend a lot of money to reroute people.... so I think 5 Tons of cargo (maybe $5000) is peanuts compared to the bill today... just my 2 cents having worked in operations at Sabena in North America for 15 years...
Hello

You are absolutely right. Today another example of complete mismanagement within the operations dept. of Brussels Airlines and Brussels Airport. No control over Swissport, a company that is destroying the quality of BRU and no contigency planning in situations like today. YYZ and JFK were the first flights to leave, but have less duty limitations, Africa flights get cancelled while there are crews available in station where there is no flight day, no extra fuel for flights to Critical wx zones... Also note that OOSFW is the heaviest one of the fleet so most restrictions. Is there any reason they diverted to YUL and not to YYZ? (own staff, much more rrt options, own crew hotel,etc...) or was wx in YYZ not good either?

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

ihd-fc wrote:
JustPlanes wrote:
Poiu wrote:
Hello

You are absolutely right. Today another example of complete mismanagement within the operations dept. of Brussels Airlines and Brussels Airport. No control over Swissport, a company that is destroying the quality of BRU and no contigency planning in situations like today. YYZ and JFK were the first flights to leave, but have less duty limitations, Africa flights get cancelled while there are crews available in station where there is no flight day, no extra fuel for flights to Critical wx zones... Also note that OOSFW is the heaviest one of the fleet so most restrictions. Is there any reason they diverted to YUL and not to YYZ? (own staff, much more rrt options, own crew hotel,etc...) or was wx in YYZ not good either?
Toronto has no snow now but I'm not sure what it was a couple of hours ago... I don't believe so as its mostly on the coast here... JFK, BOS...
I checked and not a single European airline diverted... so have to say very embarrassing for whoever worked that flight today! The dispatcher completely dropped the ball and not sure what the Captain was thinking but it was a heavy snow forecast and you're running 3 hours late so the only option is fuel...

First of all in good weather you have 30mins worth of holding I mean this is JFK so thats a no brainer! Well he made it to Montreal at about his ETA for JFK so he did not hold for a minute...

And besides paying for 200+ people up in Montreal and losing a full load tonight... I see they've already cancelled tomorrow's SN501 into JFK... on a Sunday which I'm sure was a busy flight.

And besides that for upper management... what are they thinking flying a weight restricted plane on a flight of 8hrs... seems like 1960! I worked SN here in the 90s and 2000s and I never heard of any weight restrictions or planes diverting because they couldn't even hold 20mins!

I'm sure SN is doing all they can to make money so why on a day like today do they simply piss away a small fortune because they couldn't take 3-4 Tons of fuel!

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Must have been a bad morning for Brussels airlines. The 3 africaflights all had big delays. (the other ones where cancelled as you know)

Dakar: 5,5 hours delay
Ouagadougou: 3,5 hours delay
Accra: 2 hours delay

Stij

Post by Stij »

And IST must still be suffering as well... todays CPT IST flight seems to be cancelled as well...

Stij

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Shengenzone wrote: The 3 africaflights all had big delays.
not diversion related - see 'Abnormalities topic' https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p344634