Trivia 2017 (miscellaneous news)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Homo Aeroportus

Re: Trivia 2017 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Not sure where to post this. I haven't seen it being reported recently.

Lithium batteries back in the cabin !

The ICAO Dangerous Goods Panel, DGP/26 is currently having a session in Montreal.
The Working Paper is available on :
https://democrats-transportation.house. ... %20(2).pdf

Item 2 is presented by the FAA.
Pages from DGP.26.WP.043.2.en.jpg
Angela Stubblefiled is Deputy Associate Administrator for Security and Hazardous Materials Safety.
Further to fire testing involving Personal Electronic Devices packed in a suitcase, the FAA is now proposing to revise the rule and forbid Lithium battery equipped PED to be packed in checked luggage.

Links to FAA fire tests :
https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/temp/LT_FH/ ... ptops.pptx
https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/temp/LT_FH/ ... Ovids.pptx

The Working Paper refers to :
1.10 The ICAO Multidisciplinary Cargo Safety Group met in Paris, France during the week of July 17, 2017.
…. The FAA presented the results of the various tests involving PEDs in checked luggage, ….. The result of the discussions was an agreement by the group that the current allowance for passengers to pack PEDs in checked baggage should be revisited. In particular, that this should not be allowed, without a specific approval by the operator.
Representatives from the following groups concurred that PEDs should not be permitted in checked baggage, based on the test results presented:
a) European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA);
b) Airbus;
c) International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Association; and
d) International Federation of Airline Pilots’ Association.

I know by experience that things move sloooowly at ICAO and you'd better start young and healthy to see recommendations of a Panel be translated into compulsory statements, but here I have hope for a swift revision.

H.A.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

to see recommendations of a Panel be translated into compulsory statements
Excuse me for what might seem nitpicking, but does ICAO ever publish anything compulsory? I always understood they only bring forth recommendations, and that members have promised to turn those recommendations into laws/rules; but that not all do, allways.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 21:44
to see recommendations of a Panel be translated into compulsory statements
Excuse me for what might seem nitpicking, but does ICAO ever publish anything compulsory? I always understood they only bring forth recommendations, and that members have promised to turn those recommendations into laws/rules; but that not all do, allways.
As you know, ICAO is a United Nations agency that produces, among other documents, “Annexes” to the “Convention on International Civil Aviation”. All member states, i.e. basically all states represented at the UN, are to abide to the ICAO Annexes and are obliged to notify the Organisation in case of any difference between their national regulations and the International Standards contained in the Annexes.

But you are correct Jan_O that an Annex does not contain only “compulsory” statements.

There are typically two levels, besides purely informative appendices and explanatory material,
these are :
Standards : Any specification for physical characteristics, configuration, …., personnel or procedure, the uniform application of which is recognized as necessary for the safety or regularity of international air navigation and to which Contracting States will conform in accordance with the Convention; in the event of impossibility of compliance, notification to the Council is compulsory under Article 38.

Recommended Practices : Any specification for physical characteristics, configuration, …., personnel or procedure, the uniform application of which is recognized as desirable in the interest of safety, regularity or efficiency of international air navigation, and to which Contracting States will endeavour to conform in accordance with the Convention.

So the member states do not have to turn these into national laws as it is the case with the EU Directives for example. By being member of the club you are to follow the rules but if you are big and have a strong voice ….
;)

H.A.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 20:56 Not sure where to post this. I haven't seen it being reported recently.

Lithium batteries back in the cabin !
If you don't know where to post, feel free to strart a new thread. :D
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Passenger wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 16:42
wrote:https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/ ... orld-free/
23-year old Belgian hacker hacks into airline booking engines and travels around the world for free.
For years, a 23-year old hacker from Mechelen, Belgium has circumvented the security systems of many airlines. “Largely for the thrill of it but also for free travel around the world.” American Airlines, Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines got hacked, possibly more airlines could have been affected. By hacking the websites, the gentleman could get hold of dozens of airline tickets without having to pay. “Part of the tickets have been used, but not all of them, I was simply getting hold of them for the kick of it!“, he told. Brussels Airlines discovered the fraud and filed a criminal complaint with the police. The Mechelen prosecutors have confirmed the arrest of a 23-year-old. He is suspected of hacking private companies and IT fraud. The suspect appears in court on Friday. His lawyer did not want to give a statement.
The man appeared in court again today, but was refused bail/release. He has to appear in court end of this month, for a previous theft of Lufthansa tickets through a website hack.
Criminal court verdict: guilty for the IT fraud, but without punishement: the court has given him "opschorting" / suspension, hence his criminal record remains clean. And he has to indemnify the victims (mainly Mobistar). The complaint by Lufthansa for ticket fraud has been dismissed because "lack of their collaboration during the investigation".

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

European airlines financial status in one chart: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/europ ... one-chart/

Four airlines in financial difficulties: Finnair, Air Europa, FlyBe and Aegean Airlines. Quite surprising.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

A loadfactor of 0,53% on a Jet2 flight from Glasgow to Crete... (one passenger, indeed)
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-41748305

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 19:42 A loadfactor of 0,53% on a Jet2 flight from Glasgow to Crete... (one passenger, indeed)
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... -417483e05
This is not unusual at the end of the season. Earlier this month I took an SN A320 to Ibiza: the load factor was barely 15%. But a stewardess told me the return flight was full. And the Jet2 flight from Crete to Glasgow was probably also full.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Lufthansa flight LH 441 (A380-800 reg. D-AIMJ) from Houston to Frankfurt flew over its destination airport before diverting at low altitude to Stuttgart. Reason unknown.
Screenshot_20171029-084956.png
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

KLM said goodbye to the Fokker F70 today. The four last F70's all flew Amsterdam-Norwich this morning:

KLM F70.jpg

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Enter Air Boeing 737 is suffering due to heavy crosswinds: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/enter ... rosswinds/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Can't find the appropriate topic for it, Russia has threatened to close its airspace for Dutch traffic after the slot reductions for cargo airlines, it seems quite serious: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/russi ... -aircraft/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

A group of Feyenoord (Football) supporters, going to a soccer game against Shaktar Donetsk, has been halted at Kiev Airport:

Source:
https://twitter.com/DeFeijenoorder

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 12:49 Can't find the appropriate topic for it, Russia has threatened to close its airspace for Dutch traffic after the slot reductions for cargo airlines, it seems quite serious: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/russi ... -aircraft/
I think that the topic on capping cargo flights at AMS would be appropriate ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A new special livery for a LOT Embraer: a plane on a plane!

André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

sn26567 wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 12:39 A new special livery for a LOT Embraer: a plane on a plane!

Wow such a nice plane !
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

But SP-LDH has these colors between Jul 2014 and Jan 2015...

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

LX780 ZRH-BRU came back to Zurich today,reason unknown

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »