Airbus may allow mobile phone use

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Avro

Airbus may allow mobile phone use

Post by Avro »

As I mentioned in the news section (https://www.aviation24.be/article5314.html) Airbus might allow the use of mobile phones during the flights in a few years.

I start this topic hear, because I would like to know the opinion of all of you on this issue.

Personally I think it is a very bad idea, not because of security reason but because of the noise.
Imagine a fully booked flight where everybody starts talking loudly on the phone, where phones are ringing all the time and so on :roll: That would certainly make me crazy.

Chris

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Indeed, a very bad idee. Instead of allowing mobile phones, an Internet connection is much more usefull and less irritation to other pasengers. Maybe a good idea for SN to install internet in their 333's, a lot of European (SAS, ...) and Asian carriers will install this feature in the near future.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

blackhawk wrote:Indeed, a very bad idee. Instead of allowing mobile phones, an Internet connection is much more usefull and less irritation to other passengers.
An Internet connection would indeed make much less noise, except if the users download music from kazaa and play it loudly around :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Indeed as you say an internet connection is also in my opinion a better solution. And with such a connection you will still be able to stay in contact with your friends via e-mails. SO there is definately no need for using mobile phon,es during the flight.

Chris

waldova

Post by waldova »

sn26567 wrote:
blackhawk wrote:Indeed, a very bad idee. Instead of allowing mobile phones, an Internet connection is much more usefull and less irritation to other passengers.
An Internet connection would indeed make much less noise, except if the users download music from kazaa and play it loudly around :)
Well, what if for example I'm on the internet and I use a webcam with microphone? That would be the same as talking through a cellphone and could annoy a lot of people too. Well ofcourse you already need a good internet connection to use a webcam but it could be cool. Images from 35 000 ft high!!! Putting it into the cockpit would be great for all of us aviation enthousiasts!!! :banana:

Avro

Post by Avro »

I agree that it would make a lot of nois, but how many people have a laptop + a webcam + a microphone on board a plane ??? not that many.
On the other hand 99% the people have a mobile phone !!

CHris

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

There is a company called Altobridge http://www.altobridge.com/ and they are one of the companies that would like to get the cellphone-technology on board. It was in an article of 'de morgen' last month (31/07/2004 page 12). If I can find some time I will make a small summary.

waldova

Post by waldova »

Avro wrote:I agree that it would make a lot of nois, but how many people have a laptop + a webcam + a microphone on board a plane ??? not that many.
On the other hand 99% the people have a mobile phone !!
Well, I have a webcam with build in microphone, so I would definitely use it on board.