Foldable Seats for Economy Passengers

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Avro

Foldable Seats for Economy Passengers

Post by Avro »

According to Airliner World (August 2004 issue):

" Airbus is discussing with airlines a revolutionary seat concept for economy class cabins. The main objective is to make it easier for passengers and crew to move around the cabin and access overhead stowage. To achieve this, Airbus has used a principle similar to that applied in theatres and cinemas, i.e. the seat base automatically folds up when the seat is not occupied. When the seat base is up, the adjacent armrest follows automatically to facilitate easier access to and from the aisle for passengers and crew.
The operational benefit of the Foldable Passenger Seat for the airlines is a significant reduction in aircraft turnaround time, offering increased aircraft utilisation as well as fewer delays. When they board, passengers can move directly into their seat row and stow hand luggage in the overhead compartments without blocking the aisle. The seat could be in-service within about two years."

Personally I think this is a very original concept and am looking forward to see how the seats will be looking like....

Chris

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice idea indeed. But Ryanair will not buy it:
1) too expensive,
2) and who cares about passenger and crew comfort?
3) Ryanair doesn't buy Airbuses anyway. Theya are looking for a Boeing where everybody can stand, holding a ramp.
André
ex Sabena #26567

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

wel if those seats will be the same ones as in Kinepolis Gent the i would say go for it! cause they are 200% comfortable!!!
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Avro

Post by Avro »

killerwhale65 wrote:wel if those seats will be the same ones as in Kinepolis Gent the i would say go for it! cause they are 200% comfortable!!!
I don't think they will be like that. There is a virtual picture of those seats in the Airliner World magazine and the seats look less comfortable and have an unusual design, but who knows the design might change.

Chris

waldova

Post by waldova »

Well I definitely think this would be great for handling companies. It would make it easier for cleaning the airplanes. Also for the passanger it will be easier to go to their seat.
I really think it would be a great idea. But they have to make shure that it doesn't affect to comfort of the seats.

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

I also think this is a great idea. Would the seat cushion still be able to be used as a flotation device?
Onward and Upward...