Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TLspotting

Re: Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Post by TLspotting »

Yuqu12 wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 14:56 Why do you say that they can use an OO-AJ registration? On their scale model at their presentation and all their pictures they released so far, the reg was OO-ABA so probably they'll use an OO-AB? registration. Also, on planespotters.net, the first A340 has the registration OO-AB?.
All cases are possible so... let's see !

An interesting fact about Air Belgium fleet :
"La compagnie low-cost disposera dans un premier temps de quatre avions (des A340-313) pour débuter l’activité"

"The low-cost airline will have first of all 4 planes (A340-313) to begin the activity"

http://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/economi ... 88449.aspx

So the 4 aircrafts of Finnair are confirmed !

Greetings,
Thibault
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

TLspotting wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 18:22 An interesting fact about Air Belgium fleet : "The low-cost airline will have first of all 4 planes (A340-313) to begin the activity".
Sorry, but a press article from 5th February 2017 is far too unreliable to call it a confirmation.

Even the remarks (x 4) on Airfleets.net "for Air Belgium" are unconfirmed, untill confirmed by a OO-registration.

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Yuqu12 wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 14:56 Why do you say that they can use an OO-AJ registration? On their scale model at their presentation and all their pictures they released so far, the reg was OO-ABA so probably they'll use an OO-AB? registration. Also, on planespotters.net, the first A340 has the registration OO-AB?.
Yuqu12, I think I know where TLspotting gets the idea of OO-AJ* registration. The old Air Belgium's IATA-code was AJ.

Now, let's look forward to some exciting news, shall we? :D

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Passenger wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 18:51
TLspotting wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 18:22 An interesting fact about Air Belgium fleet : "The low-cost airline will have first of all 4 planes (A340-313) to begin the activity".
Sorry, but a press article from 5th February 2017 is far too unreliable to call it a confirmation.

Even the remarks (x 4) on Airfleets.net "for Air Belgium" are unconfirmed, untill confirmed by a OO-registration.
TLspotting, I agree with Passenger on this one. RTL's article is just some news on the project. When Air Belgium (and Finnair or leasing company) releases a press release on their future fleet, that'll be a reliable source and, subject to then content, a confirmation of their fleet plans.

Things seem to move for Air Belgium. However, they haven't announced any routes yet, which is key to fill any bird entering their fleet.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

But the questionis: did they obtain their license? That is the first requirement. As far as I understood, they planned to have that finalised by the end of March. But no announcements on that either, or did I miss something?

Danny

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

In reality they have uniforms for crews but no flight license, no airport in Belgium to operate, no destinations in China and to date no aircraft confirmed and registered. Are not we dreaming? :-)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Shouldnt they try to sell tickets even before all that ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Acid-drop wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:23 Shouldnt they try to sell tickets even before all that ?
First business plan then AOC then ticket sales.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

luchtzak wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:30
Acid-drop wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:23 Shouldnt they try to sell tickets even before all that ?
First business plan then AOC then ticket sales.
First : uniforms!!!! :lol:

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Looks like its way too late for this summer already...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

What might be typical reasons for not providing an AOC?

Danny

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Acid-drop wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 13:14 Looks like its way too late for this summer already...
You're right,we're already in april
DannyVDB wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 15:36 What might be typical reasons for not providing an AOC?

Danny
Bad business plan perhaps ?
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

TLspotting wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 18:25
DannyVDB wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 15:36 What might be typical reasons for not providing an AOC?

Danny
Bad business plan perhaps ?
To what extend has the BCAA to validate the business case/plan? I thought the aim of the BCAA is to check that the airline follows all the (safety) regulations to operate the aircraft according to EASA standards, one of which is that there has to be a finance manager in place who has enough power and funds available in order to operate the airline up to the required standards.

Latest I heard was that Air Belgium has difficulties obtaining traffic rights. Maybe that is the bigger problem?

It will be a major setback for them if they can only start operating after the summer months.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Indeed, the business plan is only for the courts if they go bankrupt within 3 years after their start and for them to see whether they can start succesfully.

SLM

Post by SLM »

Do they also have plans to fly to other destinations except China? Thanks.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SLM wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 16:38 Do they also have plans to fly to other destinations except China? Thanks.
Initially, only China, but for later India is also on the drawing board, and other Asian destinations might also be introduced if the venture is successful.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 19:09 To what extend has the BCAA to validate the business case/plan? I thought the aim of the BCAA is to check that the airline follows all the (safety) regulations to operate the aircraft according to EASA standards, one of which is that there has to be a finance manager in place who has enough power and funds available in order to operate the airline up to the required standards.

Latest I heard was that Air Belgium has difficulties obtaining traffic rights. Maybe that is the bigger problem?

It will be a major setback for them if they can only start operating after the summer months.
Yuqu12 wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 11:16 Indeed, the business plan is only for the courts if they go bankrupt within 3 years after their start and for them to see whether they can start succesfully.
To obtain an Belgian AOC, an airline has to proof that it is has enough financial background to survive 6 months without revenue. The CAA therefore asks -and judges- the business plan. And what is worse for Air Belgium: it's the guys from the CAA themselves who judge it. Confirmed/audited by an established revisor like KPMG or E&Y is not enough. A letter of reference from the bank is not enough.

Perhaps a bit off topic; but I remember a story from 2002, when someone I know also applied for an AOC (with the lease for 2 ILFC A332's already signed). In his businessplan, he mentionned "charter flights for Belgian soccer teams, for their European cup matches". Reply from the CAA: "please advise all dates and routes from all these matches in 2003". Reply: "the UEFA only provides them on very short notice". So maybe the guys from Air Belgium are now also confronted with such questions: "please provide the names of the Chines touroperators you intend working for". Don't know for sure off course.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

So its forbidden to try and fail in this country.... wonderful.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Acid-drop wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 17:36 So its forbidden to try and fail in this country.... wonderful.
True...but Mr Terzakis is not borned yesterday in the aviation industry...no ?

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Acid-drop wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 17:36 So its forbidden to try and fail in this country.... wonderful.
It's a kind of protection to the passengers