Near miss at BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

blackhawk

Near miss at BRU

Post by blackhawk »

A military plane, with minister of defence André Flahaut as passenger, got involved in a near miss at BRU.

The plane wanted to touch down at the military airport of Melsbroek, when suddenly another airplane took off on the same runway. The pilot of the military jet had to break off landing in order to avoid a collision.

Twenty minutes later, the jet landed safely.

Source: vrtnieuws.net

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

according to Het Nieuwsblad (a Flemish newspaper), ATC has to be blamed. This newspaper says it happened at the very last moment, but it's not sure they mean "final approach". This article doens't mention that the other plane was about to take off, like the VRT does: it says "crossing the r/way". Perhaps the military pilot saw a very biiig jumbo, who was just going to park at Brucargo ?

Minister Flahaut en stafchef August Van Daele maakten gisterenavond bij hun terugkeer uit Athene bijna een noodlanding op Zaventem. Het militaire vliegtuig brak zijn landing op het allerlaatste moment af omdat een ander toestel plots de landingsbaan kruiste. De piloot kon weer stijgen en het andere vliegtuig ontwijken. Pas na de tweede poging kon de militaire jet landen. Volgens de luchtmacht werd de landing alleen uit veiligheidsoverwegingen afgebroken en was het wellicht niet eens tot een crash gekomen. Het incident zou te wijten zijn aan een onoplettendheid in de controletoren.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Couldn't he take Hellas Jet, like everybody else in the Olympic team?
André
ex Sabena #26567

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

sn26567 wrote:Couldn't he take Hellas Jet, like everybody else in the Olympic team?
then I'll have to buy at least 2 tickets ;)

Edit: woops, wrong person in mind (Michel ;) )
Last edited by blackhawk on 12 Aug 2004, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Fab99

Post by Fab99 »

Couldn't he take Hélas Jet??? I find it a shame OUR olympic team not flying a OO registered aircraft to the games!!!

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

If I remember will, I think they checked in at a SN Brussels desk. Is that possible?

Glider

Post by Glider »

Jup, it's possible they checked in there. T4-flights are code-share with SNBA.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Yes, check-in was at SN-counters because the SN-flights to ATH are operated by HellasJet (T4), mostly with A320's. Other possibilities are Virgin Express and of course OA. On a normal Wednesday, there are some 5 flights to ATH.

The problem is that it wasn't just the minister who "had" to go to Athens: VRT, VTM, VT4, RTBf and RTL were all invited beacuse it's important that our nation knows that ministers do take their job seriously. It's not for fun that the minister was going to Athens, you know!

Meanwhile, it's becoming clear to me what happened: the honourable minister was sitting on the jump seat, as he has to know what's happening. When the plane was in final, he saw the nice (but impressive) CX 747-400F taxiing towards Brucargo. The minister then shouted "stop !", but as that wasn't possible, the pilot decided to abort the landing and to calm down the minister first.