easyJet cuts AMS flights

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LJ

easyJet cuts AMS flights

Post by LJ »

A Dutch website reports that easyJet will cut 6 daily flights out of Amsterdam (from 27 to 21) from next winter. According to the website both NCE and BCN will be cut and EDI and BRS will have one daily flight less and from LON (airports not specified) probably two daily flights.

The airline cites cost cutting measures, but I think it's saf to conclude that easyJet lost the battle with Basiq on AMS-NCE amd AMS-BCN (both perform not good during the winter but I'll be very suprised if AMS-BCN or AMS-NCE return during the Summer 2005 schedule).

Established02

Post by Established02 »

> it's safe to conclude that easyJet lost the battle with Basiq

Basiq => Transavia => KLM => Air France?

Is Basiqair a strong, healthy and profitable airline? Or can it be that Basiq is bleeding as well and that it could have won this battle solely because of its connection with a parent company (KLM-AF) that has deep pockets? Is it possible that the Basiq operations are cross-subsidized by the profitable longhaul network of the KLM-AF group?

Thanks

A318

Post by A318 »

Basiq Air was the only part of the KLM group that made profit last year.
Too bad EasyJet is withdrawing those flights since their quality is in my opinion better then Basiqair.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Loss of a competitor is never good for the customer. Expect Basiq to increase their prices soon...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

A reason mentioned somewhere about the withdrawal of those flights was that AMS was too expensive to operate from.

When AMS is too expensive, why should EZY consider starting at BRU?

Anyway, I already wondered for some time how EZY could compete with the multiple KL-frequencies + Basiqair flights between AMS and BCN.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

danieln

Post by danieln »

The withdrawal of EZY on the NCE and BCN routes might open possibilites for an expansion of Virgin Express at AMS...!

A318

Post by A318 »

Sabena_690 wrote:A reason mentioned somewhere about the withdrawal of those flights was that AMS was too expensive to operate from.

When AMS is too expensive, why should EZY consider starting at BRU?

Anyway, I already wondered for some time how EZY could compete with the multiple KL-frequencies + Basiqair flights between AMS and BCN.

Frederic
That SPL is too expensive can not be the case since EZY will keep on flying all other routes from AMS as mentioned in the article:
De bestemmingen die EasyJet vanaf Schiphol blijft aanvliegen zijn Belfast, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Londen Gatwick, Londen Luton en Londen Stansted in het Verenigd Koninkrijk en Geneve in Zwitserland.
I must have been the price war with Basiqair.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal