Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by lumumba »

RoMax wrote:
lumumba wrote:Why is the first floor where the pizza hut and the view on the runways etc...still not open,was this floor also damaged!
I now the diamond was partly destroy but the first floor!
The PizzHut was also damaged and as Wingtips already lost most of its former glory, all commercial units have been closed overthere. The floor is accessible, but only the Regus meeting centre, the Randstad office and the Brussels Airport House are still present/open there.

A redevelopment of that zone is planned, but hasn't been the biggest priority this year, so it will be a matter of waiting for the (commercial) redevelopment of the 4th (not the first ;) ) floor of the terminal.
Thx ...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

My patience is over with this airport I try the train this time and a just lost 30 minutes to go true security.
This airport is finished for my now it will be Paris with TGV...
So upset....

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote:My patience is over with this airport I try the train this time and a just lost 30 minutes to go true security. This airport is finished for my now it will be Paris with TGV... So upset....
Brussels Airport indeed sucks. It's a failed airport. A third world airport. A no go for decent people. So please lumumba, do stay away from our airport because your reports about the shit the airport causes to you, time after time, brings me in the wrong mood to start the weekend. Maybe because such things never never happen to me, or maybe because I know that Belgium still has terror level 3?

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

I arrived here by train just after 18h

Walked through the station, only had to wait 2-3 mins at the gates where you scan your train ticket

That is it

Now having a beer

If I would experience the same I would agree, but I didn't

Not saying it is ridiculous to stop pré-check for people arriving by car and not for those coming by train (ludicrous, who came up with that?)
But it was very smooth at 18h

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

lumumba wrote:My patience is over with this airport I try the train this time and a just lost 30 minutes to go true security.
I completely agree. The security checks at the bus station level and from train->terminal are beyond ridiculous.

From train->terminal, "securail" has to do security checks, you can bypass them via the police officers if you have a Brussels Airport, Jetairfly, Brussels Airlines, Thomas cook,... lanyard (yes, just the lanyard is fine most of the time, they only have a look at your airport badge 1 in 10 times) When the police isn't there, or at peak time, it can easily take 30mins to go through this ridiculous check. People who don't want to wait just step over/under the tape, no one stops them.

From Bus->terminal, if the queue is longer than 3 people, it is faster to take the elevator to the top level and enter the terminal via there.

I already dropped off friends a couple of times via the 'new' kiss&ride and haven't had any problems so for, I still prefer the old Kiss&Ride though. The taxi also seems to be a mess at times, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Everett

Post by Everett »

I come by train every day and then take a bus towards my work. The last months I could pass easily pass security by showing my bus subscription but the last week they only let pass people with an official badge of Brussels airport or people working for a company within the airport. Although I have nothing with me (no luggage or backpack) I always have to pass the security check. If you come by car you can pass easily. I don't get the difference in treatment...

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Everett wrote:If you come by car you can pass easily. I don't get the difference in treatment...
At departures level the FedPol are in fact BDO's, but there aren't sufficient trained behaviour detection officers yet to staff all locations (the train station is to be arranged through NMBS/Securail, but same principle with FedPol BDO's). The aim still is of course to have a similar system of BDO, facial recognition cameras etc. at all main locations instead of just departures, but everyone is fully dependent on the training of new BDO's as these are the only people authorized to carry out such thing.

Everett

Post by Everett »

Thanks RoMax for this clarification!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

In November 2016, for the first time since the 22 March terror attacks, the number of passengers was higher than one year earlier. A good sign that the airport is fully recovering.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... rong-15-8/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Another modification of the car drop-off zones:

New drop-off area

On Monday 19 December, Brussels Airport opened a new drop-off area. Drivers can simply follow the "Drop-off" signs. The new Drop-off is located on the same level as the bus station and in walking distance of the terminal. For the comfort of the passengers, the walkway to the terminal is covered.

The Drop-off area is exclusively intended for quickly dropping off passengers leaving on a trip. Parking is not possible and the driver may not leave the vehicles. People wanting to accompany passengers to the departure hall or who come to pick up passengers, can make use of P1, P2 and P3, where the charge is 2 euros per half hour.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... assengers/

It means that there is no longer a free 15 minutes allowance at parkings P1, P2 and P3 !
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Starbucks is back

The Starbucks baristas are back in the departure hall of Brussels Airport! The airport was the first place where the world-famous coffee house opened a branch in our country. Later, bars were opened in the two piers of the airport.

The Starbucks bar in the departure hall was rebuilt during the renovation of the departure hall following 22 March. The baristas will again be serving their familiar coffee and other specialities in the departure hall from Wednesday 21 December.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... assengers/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote: Image
A 5 (five) minute walk to the airport, and we're supposed to be happy with that?
If it's "covered" as the "covered"walkways to FR planes, well, a good windy, cold luck to you!!!
Is this "the airport of the future"?????
No, this is, either you pay, either you're cold, or in other words, our wallets are more important than the well being of our pax.

Not impressed...

Stij

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Stij wrote:
A 5 (five) minute walk to the airport, and we're supposed to be happy with that?
If it's "covered" as the "covered"walkways to FR planes, well, a good windy, cold luck to you!!!
No, this is, either you pay, either you're cold, or in other words, our wallets are more important than the well being of our pax.

Not impressed...

Stij
Hummm...negative point of view. Of course not, this is not the airport of the futur. They will not build it in 6 months I guess. If you're afraid of 5 minutes walk ( as I recently did in LAX or connecting in YYZ and I can understand it could be very difficult for some people) you can use P1 or P2 or P3...

convair

Post by convair »

Stij wrote:

Not impressed...

Stij
Neither am I, and I bet that single lane leading there will often be congested.
But enjoy it while it lasts, as the next K&R, sorry "dropoff" (a more appropriate term), will probably be located in the center of Zaventem village!
Awful!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote:

Not impressed...

Stij
I don't understand why it takes so long to make it easy again and if really it's a big project why they don't communicate about it to give a time lapse and how it will look like!
I imagine this is a temporary situation.
But it's an improvement I will try it next Sunday.

Stij

Post by Stij »

nordikcam wrote: If you're afraid of 5 minutes walk ( as I recently did in LAX or connecting in YYZ and I can understand it could be very difficult for some people) you can use P1 or P2 or P3...
Right... want a normal experience... pay 2€ extra to the Interparking maffia. Don t wanna pay extra? No worries... walk 5 minutes with your bags and everything... because we care about your experience! Luggage carts? Mmmmm...

It s not because LAX was never built as a tranfer airport that we should be happy with this "solution".

And if it s temporary... announce the real deal and people would accept this... but let me guess... this is for years to come... and then it s not temporary anymore...

BTW is there enough capacity in the elevators to reach the departure level?

What irritates me the most is that they present it as an improvement whereas it s clearly just a way to make us pay more..

Seriously... now I definately give up trying to convince my Genk friends to fly from BRU instead of DUS... it s futile...

teach

Post by teach »

sn26567 wrote:It means that there is no longer a free 15 minutes allowance at parkings P1, P2 and P3 !
Are you sure about that? Because the press release doesn't mention that anywhere, and on BRU's website it still says the first 15 min are free:
http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... rks_rates/

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Definitely NOT an improvement !!

Shameful how they treat their customers.

teach

Post by teach »

Just checked the airport's Twitter account to see if anyone had asked about the 15 min free parking. Turns out someone has, and the answer is clear: it is STILL possible to drop people off in the parkings, the first 15 minutes are still free: https://twitter.com/BrusselsAirport/sta ... 6095684608

So this new drop-off area is just an additional option, NOT a replacement for the drop-off in the parking buildings.

So a little tip for some of the posters here (you know who you are): next time, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to first VERIFY the information you're reacting to before going into full bitch-n-whine mode...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

teach wrote:
sn26567 wrote:It means that there is no longer a free 15 minutes allowance at parkings P1, P2 and P3 !
Are you sure about that? Because the press release doesn't mention that anywhere, and on BRU's website it still says the first 15 min are free:
http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... rks_rates/
The press release says clearly that the rate of the parking is 2 euros per half hour. Indeed they don't mention the first 15 minutes...
André
ex Sabena #26567