Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Bralo20

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Bralo20 »

Does anyone knows if the Starbucks is coming back? Used to stop there quite frequently at night to get a coffee. But since the parking spots are gone I doubt it?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Boavida wrote:Picture of the new main entrance... looks cheap and amateuristic... :o
Seriously, BAC?
We are not talking about a long term permanent infrastructure here. Design of the whole new facade area and previous curb is still ongoing. There are short term things like this and more to come in the next weeks and there will be a more significant change of that area in the longer term.
Point now was to remove the tents ASAP and replace by BDO officers who need some 'infrastructure' that gives them space and free sight. Perfect looks at this point were not exactly a priority.
Besides, I just walked through to have a look and it's not that bad at all, although the 'roof' looks a bit weird.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Can we again go directly to the Delhaize on the arrival floor without going true the departure hall?
That should make things easier...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote:Can we again go directly to the Delhaize on the arrival floor without going true the departure hall?
That should make things easier...
You mean the door right across the Delhaize? Still with screening, but they changed the procedure to fully randomized (a randomizer decides who gets screened). Now also staff needs to use that access instead of the staff-only entry at arrivals which was only based on badge scanning. You can have bad luck and get screened twice per day and you can have several days with multiple passages without screening. BUT mind that still no large suitcases are allowed there (at least not last week), they will send you to departures.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Do nothing changed in that matter it still not open there?!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote:Do nothing changed in that matter it still not open there?!
As long as there are not enough BDO's there will always be something. Arrivals is not and shouldn't be a main entry for departing passengers anyway. For visitors (meeters and greeters, (taxi) drivers,... ) and staff, for which this is a main point of entry, it hugely improved with the random screening.

As long as there are not enough federal agents certified to act as a BDO, there is simply no other option. They are the only people allowed to perform such type of screening.
Be a bit more patient, they are training people and more points of entry should switch to BDO. Reality is that it's already a big win for the airport that they relatively quickly agreed to completely remove the pre-check at departures. Allowing entry to people with large suitcases at places which are not yet manned by BDO's would however make all this useless.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I'm wondering how other international airport are doing to secure their airports....

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

lumumba wrote:I'm wondering how other international airport are doing to secure their airports....
...and how many had to suffer a terrorist attack that killed 16 people ...IST and...???

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

nordikcam wrote:
lumumba wrote:I'm woering how other international airport are doing to secure their airports....
...and how many had to suffer a terrorist attack that ked 16 people ...IST and...???
And how are the other doing: Amsterdam,Paris CDG,Paris Orly,London Heathrow,London Gatwick,Zurich Kloten,Geneva,Madrid Barajas,Copenhagen,Stockholm,Barcelona,Malaga,Lisboa,Porto,Dusseldorf,Koln-Bonn,Hamburg,Frankfurt Main,Munich and many more....
It's not because they had no attack it will not happen I think the contrary, Paris can be the next target has well but they did not make jail out of it.

Freken

Post by Freken »

lumumba wrote:
nordikcam wrote:
lumumba wrote:I'm wondering how other international airport are doing to secure their airports....
...and how many had to suffer a terrorist attack that killed 16 people ...IST and...???
And how are the other doing: Amsterdam,Paris CDG,Paris Orly,London Heathrow,London Gatwick,Zurich Kloten,Geneva,Madrid Barajas,Copenhagen,Stockholm,Barcelona,Malaga,Lisboa,Porto,Dusseldorf,Koln-Bonn,Hamburg,Frankfurt Main,Munich and many more....
They didn't got hit by a bloody terrorist attack. Face it or not, the new security measures are here to stay. Other airports didn't take those extreme measures like BRU did, but many are taking measures like AMS and their road checks.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Freken wrote:
lumumba wrote:
nordikcam wrote:
They didn't got hit by a bloody terrorist attack. Face it or not, the new security measures are here to stay. Other airports didn't take those extreme measures like BRU did, but many are taking measures like AMS and their road checks.
In Amsterdam if I remember well it's temporary anyway if it stay like that I repeat they will kill this airport.
And again I'm very sad about this,really hope that the management will do something and kick the ass off the Police...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

lumumba wrote: And again I'm very sad about this,really hope that the management will do something and kick the ass the Police...
I fly two times a week @ BRU , going by bus to the airport...easy way ! And very easy access to the Terminal and smoothly way every time to the gate ! So where is the problem ? Yes it was a little bit easier before...but if the entering of this Airport is the only problem you can found in this life...I'm very happy for you ! ;) Be happy !

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

nordikcam wrote:
lumumba wrote: And again I'm very sad about this,really hope that the management will do something and kick the ass the Police...
I fly two times a week @ BRU , going by bus to the airport...easy way ! And very easy access to the Terminal and smoothly way every time to the gate ! So where is the problem ? Yes it was a little bit easier before...but if the entering of this Airport is the only problem you can found in this life...I'm very happy for you ! ;) Be happy !
I'm agree with that Bru is a easy airport for passengers but not for visitors like we discussed before we need to make Bru an experience again like Amsterdam with is terraces etc...but I will not go over this discussion again...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

nordikcam wrote:I fly two times a week @ BRU , going by bus to the airport...easy way ! And very easy access to the Terminal and smoothly way every time to the gate ! So where is the problem ?
Euh! Strikes by De Lijn today and tomorrow? Unless you take the buses of STIB/MIVB ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

sn26567 wrote:
nordikcam wrote:I fly two times a week @ BRU , going by bus to the airport...easy way ! And very easy access to the Terminal and smoothly way every time to the gate ! So where is the problem ?
Euh! Strikes by De Lijn today and tomorrow? Unless you take the buses of STIB/MIVB ?
:D Yess it's STIB...and next flight to BIO this friday only ! Thx !

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

[youtube][/youtube]
They're not, Just like BRU wasn't prior to Match 22... It's virtually imposible to 100% secure a Large Building like an airport terminal Without disrupting visitors.

Accept for othet airports having a larger police force.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote:Really hope that the management will do something and kick the ass off the Police...
Realy? :lol:

Police doesn't care about airport management, they only answer to the minister of the interior.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Why is the first floor where the pizza hut and the view on the runways etc...still not open,was this floor also damaged!
I now the diamond was partly destroy but the first floor!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote:Why is the first floor where the pizza hut and the view on the runways etc...still not open,was this floor also damaged!
The PizzHut was also damaged and as Wingtips already lost most of its former glory, all commercial units have been closed overthere. The floor is accessible, but only the Regus meeting centre, the Randstad office and the Brussels Airport House are still present/open there.

A redevelopment of that zone is planned, but hasn't been the biggest priority this year, so it will be a matter of waiting for the (commercial) redevelopment of the 4th (not the first ;) ) floor of the terminal.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

RoMax wrote:
lumumba wrote:Why is the first floor where the pizza hut and the view on the runways etc...still not open,was this floor also damaged!
The PizzHut was also damaged and as Wingtips already lost most of its former glory, all commercial units have been closed overthere. The floor is accessible, but only the Regus meeting centre, the Randstad office and the Brussels Airport House are still present/open there.

A redevelopment of that zone is planned, but hasn't been the biggest priority this year, so it will be a matter of waiting for the (commercial) redevelopment of the 4th (not the first ;) ) floor of the terminal.
So the connector (and the attack) killed the Wingtips. Just as I expected a few years ago: most of the view is blocked so it lost most of it's attraction.