Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

teach

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by teach »

sn26567 wrote:The press release says clearly that the rate of the parking is 2 euros per half hour. Indeed they don't mention the first 15 minutes...
It mentions that in relation to people wanting to accompany passengers inside, and those picking passengers up. That typically can't be done within 15 minutes.

But that all doesn't matter, as like I said in my last post the BRU twitter account confirms that the first 15 minutes are indeed still free.

convair

Post by convair »

teach wrote: So a little tip for some of the posters here (you know who you are): next time, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to first VERIFY the information you're reacting to before going into full bitch-n-whine mode...
Your defending BRU is understandable, but a better communication from BRU would have helped. Why is the public obliged to guess or ask for clarification?

I'm afraid a proper K&R won't come back though. A shame!

teach

Post by teach »

convair wrote:Your defending BRU is understandable, but a better communication from BRU would have helped. Why is the public obliged to guess or ask for clarification?
It wasn't mentioned anywhere that the first 15 minutes would no longer be free, so there really was no reason to assume that it wasn't.

What we saw here was one person jumping to conclusions and some others, including you, taking it as official and confirmed.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

First 10 min at any paid parking is always free, as you may not be able to find a parking place and you need to be able to leave without paying. As the car park at BRU is quite big and might be congested sometimes, they give you an extra 5 min.
Last edited by flightlover on 20 Dec 2016, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Stij

Post by Stij »

teach wrote:... before going into full bitch-n-whine mode...
Mmm... I read a press release and I react to that. Am I really required to recheck www.brusselsairport.be before reacting?

BTW, call me superstitious, but I really believe the 15min free parking was intentionally left out off the press release.

Think about it: for free you can drop off your party A) within a 1 min walk B) within a 5 min walk... guess what people would do?

I wouldn't be surprised if the signs will mention "free drop off" and "parking" but without the 15min free mentioned, so unless you're a very well informed traveler and / or Luchtzak reader, you will be inclined to drop of at the 5 min walk zone.

My conclusion remains: this isn't an improvement, but a deterioration of service.

I'm a fan of Belgian aviation and Brussels Airport / Airlines in particular, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical and have to applaud everything.

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I have read through this new item, the comments to it, as well as the insider hint to a work around (thank you for doing that effort, btw because I had assumed it wouldn no longer be possible as well), and I have to conclude that either:

1- the communication was 'suboptimal', given an important courtesy feature clearly was left out.
Such is very amazing as one would think that external communication departments are trained to perfection these days to repeat almost indefinitely all the commercially differentiating features of the brand they are trying to promote in any external communication, regardless the product or topic: just look at any standard press release of say a ryanair or airbus just to pick 2 examples to get an immediate idea of what I mean: 3/4rd of the PR is not about the main topic, but about other key things which the company wants to make sure everybody knows too. ('"forever better" or "we're the only one where everything is common, and this means savings" etc etc)

2- the thing was indeed left out on purpose because it's somehow indeed going against the idea of maximizing revenues from the main car park, so they wouldn't mind if less people use the short term parking option in the front parkings (if only to improve the experience for those who do pay).

I leave it to every individual which of the 2 is at the basis of the omission, although it could also be the 2 combined of course, but I have to highlight that in the past Brussels Airport has been seen to be extremely focused on all sorts of things aimed at maximizing its short term revenues and thus profits, in large because it is driven to do so by a notoriously eager main shareholder: the reputation of Macquarie as a real vulture is what it is in the financial industry.

On a related note, I'd love to add that I think it's a missed opportunity for Brussels Airport not to be focusing more on it's recovery by more aggressively doing away with ancillary costs, as well as investing more money in improving the immediate experience passengers enjoy while making use of it and thus ultimately improving its long term image too.
I agree such means they have to be willing to take an even bigger financial hit than they already did from the direct effects of the terrorist attacks of March this year (and possibly next), but it would -I am sure- yield positive commercial results in the medium to long term: to me it's obvious the airport's management has been ordered to keep a very good eye on securing both the immediate revenues as well as minimize the costs of whatever changes they have to make to secure their day-to-day business, all of which in order not to impact the short term financial results more than absolutely needed: the way in which Brussels Airport is handeling 'it's return to normality' has Macquarie's signature all over it, really: they aren't called 'the millionaire factory' for nothing of course.

teach

Post by teach »

Stij wrote:
Mmm... I read a press release and I react to that.
Except you didn't. You reacted to an unconfirmed interpretation of a press report.
My conclusion remains: this isn't an improvement, but a deterioration of service.
Right. So an EXTRA drop-off point, without anything else changing, is somehow a deterioration of service?
but that doesn't mean I can't be critical and have to applaud everything.
You can be critical all you want, but at least make sure you are critical of things you know to be true, not things you assume without evidence.

Stij

Post by Stij »

teach wrote:Except you didn't.
I did:
New drop-off area

On Monday 19 December, Brussels Airport opened a new drop-off area. Drivers can simply follow the "Drop-off" signs. The new Drop-off is located on the same level as the bus station and in walking distance of the terminal. For the comfort of the passengers, the walkway to the terminal is covered.

The Drop-off area is exclusively intended for quickly dropping off passengers leaving on a trip. Parking is not possible and the driver may not leave the vehicles. People wanting to accompany passengers to the departure hall or who come to pick up passengers, can make use of P1, P2 and P3, where the charge is 2 euros per half hour.
Now where exactly is it mentioned the first 15 min remain free??? The only information I find is 2€/ half an hour.
teach wrote:Right. So an EXTRA drop-off point, without anything else changing, is somehow a deterioration of service?
Not mentioning the 15min for free is!
teach wrote:... but at least make sure you are critical of things you know to be true, not things you assume without evidence.
My evidence is an official Brussels Airport press release.
So I'm guilty assuming this press release was complete and correct?

I agree with Inquirer and hope it's point 1, but believe it's point 2.

Rest my case your honor!

Cheers,

Stij

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Please, some common sense is needed. You get 5 to 15 min free entrance to any payable parking infrastructure. Be it at a public street or in a managed parking building.
Why is this?
a) When at a street, you need time to get a parking ticket
b) Because even an automated registration system at a parking building might get defect and therefore suggest there are free parking spots when in fact there are none. And, let's be honest, some people can't even park their car in a parking spot made for trucks.
Is it a fault not to mention that when communicating about parking options? No, I don't think so. Or do they also have to make a campaign to remind you to breath to stay alive?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

teach wrote:
Stij wrote:
Mmm... I read a press release and I react to that.
Except you didn't. You reacted to an unconfirmed interpretation of a press report.
Right. So an EXTRA drop-off point, without anything else changing, is somehow a deterioration of service?
but that doesn't mean I can't be critical and have to applaud everything.
You can be critical all you want, but at least make sure you are critical of things you know to be true, not things you assume without evidence.
Anyway it's not enough why does it take so long to make it easy again.
And where is the future project for the drop off point it's not clear this airport was a easy one but it's not anymore.
If it takes time to reorganize than they have to communicate to give some hope at least to frequent travelers.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

teach

Post by teach »

Stij wrote:
teach wrote:Except you didn't.
I did:
New drop-off area

On Monday 19 December, Brussels Airport opened a new drop-off area. Drivers can simply follow the "Drop-off" signs. The new Drop-off is located on the same level as the bus station and in walking distance of the terminal. For the comfort of the passengers, the walkway to the terminal is covered.

The Drop-off area is exclusively intended for quickly dropping off passengers leaving on a trip. Parking is not possible and the driver may not leave the vehicles. People wanting to accompany passengers to the departure hall or who come to pick up passengers, can make use of P1, P2 and P3, where the charge is 2 euros per half hour.
Now where exactly is it mentioned the first 15 min remain free??? The only information I find is 2€/ half an hour.
teach wrote:Right. So an EXTRA drop-off point, without anything else changing, is somehow a deterioration of service?
Not mentioning the 15min for free is!
teach wrote:... but at least make sure you are critical of things you know to be true, not things you assume without evidence.
My evidence is an official Brussels Airport press release.
So I'm guilty assuming this press release was complete and correct?

I agree with Inquirer and hope it's point 1, but believe it's point 2.

Rest my case your honor!

Cheers,

Stij
No change was announced in the press release to the 15 minute rule, and the price of the parkings was only mentioned in reference to people picking someone up or wantng to accompany them into the departure hall.

It's quite telling about the times we live in that some here are now actually making up dark conspiracy theories on this, as if the airport has some sort of a 'double agenda' with this, because they didn't explicitly say the first 15 minutes were still free in a press release 99,5% of the people travelling to the airport will never read. As if people going to the airport actually bother about a press release. Someone wanting to drop someone off, who doesn't know the airport well will check the website. And on the website the page about dropping off passengers, which has already been updated to reflect the new drop-off zone, the VERY first sentence reads:
Dropping someone off is only possible in the Drop-off area or in one of the car parks.
http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... axdropoff/
And on that same page it is still mentioned quite clearly that the first 15 minutes in the car parks are free.

Oh, and the airport's twitter has meanwhile once again confirmed directly to sn26567 that the car parks are indeed still free the first 15 minutes, because apparently he didn't believe the website, or the first time they said that.

People urgently need to learn to take things for what they are, not for what they want them to be.

convair

Post by convair »

teach wrote: People urgently need to learn to take things for what they are, not for what they want them to be.
Thanks for the lesson, teach.

However, when a press release is misunderstood by a certain number of people, it might have something to do with the quality of the press release, unless you consider that we are all idiots here.

After stating that the parking cost is 2€ per half hour, they could have simply added "exept fot the first 15 minutes that remain free": even if you and others say it's goes without saying, it goes better with saying it. BRU didn't forget to mention it when they first invited people to drop-off in the parkings.

Allow me to return the lesson "teach": some good faith would be welcome! Even, or I should rather say, mostly if you are a BRU supporter (as I am too, btw; that's the main reason why I criticize them when I think they deserve it).

Stij

Post by Stij »

Teach,

If this new drop off zone makes you happy and you see it as an improvement... good for you!
If you believe this was good communication... good for you!

But I'm not impressed by it nor by the communication about it.

Shall we agree to disagree?

Stij

b720

Post by b720 »

what concerns me more is the "silent" draconian hike in price of the parking in general. They created the free 15 min.(with a lot of fanfare) and compensated by (quietly) ripping off all those who leave their cars for a longer period. a week end Friday late afternoon till Sunday eve. at Park 3 is EUR 59 when it used to be EUR 49 before the attacks.

Tb1

Post by Tb1 »

Brussels Airport opened a brandnew duty free area in terminal B today. The old shops are closed ^^

teach

Post by teach »

convair wrote:However, when a press release is misunderstood by a certain number of people, it might have something to do with the quality of the press release, unless you consider that we are all idiots here.
It was misunderstood by one person (SN26567), and a bunch of you simply took him at his word and ran with it, never even bothering to question it. In itself that isn't hard to understand, since SN26567 stated it as a fact and not as his own opinion, and since he is usually the one posting press releases and limiting himself to facts.

I highly doubt that this entire debate would've taken place if it hadn't been for SN26567's remark and factual error.
After stating that the parking cost is 2€ per half hour, they could have simply added "exept fot the first 15 minutes that remain free": even if you and others say it's goes without saying, it goes better with saying it. BRU didn't forget to mention it when they first invited people to drop-off in the parkings.
When they first invited people to drop passengers off in the parkings it was a new thing, of course it was mentioned! And once again, nobody cares about a press release, that's NOT how people find out where they need to drop off passengers. They go to the website for that, where all of the correct information is readily available. Avgeeks are the only ones who care about press releases like this.
Allow me to return the lesson "teach": some good faith would be welcome! Even, or I should rather say, mostly if you are a BRU supporter (as I am too, btw; that's the main reason why I criticize them when I think they deserve it).
Good faith? Like what you showed here?

Stij

Post by Stij »

teach wrote:It was misunderstood by one person (SN26567), and a bunch of you simply took him at his word and ran with it, never even bothering to question it. In itself that isn't hard to understand, since SN26567 stated it as a fact and not as his own opinion, and since he is usually the one posting press releases and limiting himself to facts.
So now it's André's fault... I'm not going to react any further...

Can we rest it here? I think we all know what our positions are... no new facts have been added... and we disagree. Fair enough?

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

Tb1 wrote:Brussels Airport opened a brandnew duty free area in terminal B today. The old shops are closed ^^
Almost forgot! Welcome Tb1!!! May your flights be more punctual than our welcome!

Thanks Passenger for reminding me! This happens when you moderate between meetings!

Stij

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

The new "drop off" topic to be found here:
http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... axdropoff/

about the 15 min free parking:
Car parks P1, P2 and P3

In car parks P1 Front Park, P2 Economy and P3 Holiday you can park free of charge for fifteen minutes to drop off passengers. Please remember to validate your ticket at the pay machine.

After that a rate of 2 euros per half hour applies for the first two hours. The same rates apply in the three car parks for the first five hours:

Strange though is the mention "Please remember to validate your ticket at the pay machine"

I guess there is no need to validate the ticket within the 15 min.

I definitely will continue to use the P1 as drop off, seems to a long walk from the new Drop off zone.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Press release Flemish government, 23th Dec 2016: the two airport operators from OST and ANR receive a one-time subsidy because they had to make extra safety & security costs when so many flights were relocated to their airport.

"...De exploitatie van de regionale luchthavens van Oostende-Brugge en Antwerpen gebeurt door private partners, namelijk de LEM Oostende-Brugge en de LEM Antwerpen. Zij zijn ook belast met taken rond veiligheid en beveiliging. Hiervoor werd een subsidieovereenkomst afgesloten, met een jaarlijkse werkingssubsidie voor personeelskosten en investeringssubsidies voor materieel. Door de aanslagen in Brussel op 22 maart 2016 werden een aantal vluchten een tijdlang afgeleid naar Antwerpen en Oostende-Brugge, en werden bijkomende beveiligingsmaatregelen opgelegd, waarvoor extra personeel moest ingezet worden. Deze onvoorziene kosten waren niet opgenomen in de subsidieovereenkomsten, waardoor de Vlaamse Regering nu beslist een eenmalige subsidie toe te kennen aan de LEM Oostende-Brugge (394.000 euro) en de LEM Antwerpen (231.000 euro)..."

http://www.vlaanderen.be/nl/vlaamse-reg ... seregering