Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Shengenzone

Re: Terrorist attack, explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Shengenzone »

Full shedule of jetairfly for tomorrow can be found here:
http://www.ost.aero/sites/default/files ... e_1730.pdf

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

luchtzak wrote:
The Independent.co.uk wrote:Ryanair is charging of a group of 28 British passengers in Brussels nearly £6,000 in total to change their flights to this evening.

The Belgian capital has been hit by two major terror attacks, at Zaventem airport and Mallbeek metro station, which have left at least 30 people dead.

And, addressing the House of Commons, Labour's shadow small business minister Bill Esterson said a group of Britons was trying to get home from the city a day earlier than planned and had been told the new flights would cost them £214 each.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 46066.html
Seriously? I mean ... really?? Arme arme mens :roll:

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

What a terrible day yesterday!
I was scheduled to come back to BRU on LX, but took a free rerouting to DUS offered by them instead.
Not sure I'll feel very comfortable next time I pass though that entrance hall. When it will re-open?
Probably at reduced capacity too then, e.g no charters or fewer foreign airlines.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The decision on the re-opening is expected at around 12Z (if they can access the terminal building)

All FR flights are delayed 45min out of CRL (including the BRU ones) to allow all passengers to make it through the security checks on time.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

I can't imagine the terminal being used on a relative short term. I have seen the damage this night and it's truly overwhelming...

Sproetje

Post by Sproetje »

Radionews now thinks BRU will stay closed till after the weekend.
~Memento Mori~

koja78

Post by koja78 »

I wonder if there was any kind of scenario in the disaster plans for if the main terminal is not usable for weeks?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

If anyone could provide pictures of full aprons at regional airport, i'd be gratefull.
OST is busy like never.

We are lucky to have such a hugh density of airports.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

which airport is best suited to be covering the SN flights? or will OST, LGG, ANR (only regional off course) & CRL need to work together to handle those?
what are your insights?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

The economic damage to BRU is about a million per day of closure by my estimate.
At this price, you can hire quite a lot of temporary staff and contractors to take care of things very quickly.
Broken glass can be repaired within hours, same for cleaning up and laying a temporary carpet.
IMO most of the damage is superficial, so it will probably be taken care of in a matter of a couple of days and then repaired professionally later on.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

Conti764 wrote:I can't imagine the terminal being used on a relative short term. I have seen the damage this night and it's truly overwhelming...
hope you're okay after those horrific views!

maybe there is a possibility to reopen partially and use the charter check-ins at the other end of the entrance hall? or is even that too damaged?

Freken

Post by Freken »

Treeper wrote:
Conti764 wrote:I can't imagine the terminal being used on a relative short term. I have seen the damage this night and it's truly overwhelming...
hope you're okay after those horrific views!

maybe there is a possibility to reopen partially and use the charter check-ins at the other end of the entrance hall? or is even that too damaged?
There was an explosion next to the charter check-ins and near the SN check-in.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Sproetje wrote:Radionews now thinks BRU will stay closed till after the weekend.
I heard Anke Fransen (Brussels Airport) on Flemish radio VRT this morning. They haven't been allowed in the terminal yet, so they don't know how much the damage to the infrastructure is. Once they know that damage, they will take a decision.

koja78

Post by koja78 »

Flanker2 wrote: Broken glass can be repaired within hours, same for cleaning up and laying a temporary carpet.
IMO most of the damage is superficial, so it will probably be taken care of in a matter of a couple of days and then repaired professionally later on.
IF the structural integrity of the terminal building is ok.. otherwise....

Regarding local airports... CRL is probably best suited.. capacity wise. ANR worst (runway and operational limits).

OST is good for point to point traffic as well.

Problem is... Brussels Airlines & its transfer pax... no other airport in BE is suited for this. Probably reroute through other star alliance hubs with ferry flights to BE for local PAX. OST might be used for this as you can easily connect to the main train backbone.

If this takes a long time.. it can kill BruAir.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I wouldnt be surprised to learn that CRL is already at 100% capacity.
Thats why they need a new terminal don't forget.

Transfer pax to holiday destinations must be very limited I guess.
But assuming... Would you block any flight for just a little % of the pax?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Ostend OST yesterday:

Photos thanks to https://www.facebook.com/HetOstendsNieuws/

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Thanks !

koja78

Post by koja78 »

Acid-drop wrote:I wouldnt be surprised to learn that CRL is already at 100% capacity.
Thats why they need a new terminal don't forget.

Transfer pax to holiday destinations must be very limited I guess.
But assuming... Would you block any flight for just a little % of the pax?
I think for brussels airlines, the transfer pax % might be a lot higher than you expect.

Jetair and Thomas cook have it far easier.. only point to point traffic and they already have regional bases.
Ryanair can easily move to CRL.

BruAir is the one really in trouble
Last edited by koja78 on 23 Mar 2016, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If you left your luggage at the airport yesterday and if it wasn't checked in yet, register it here > http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... nfoundapp/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Terror attack threat: US State Department issues Europe Travel Alert

WASHINGTON, DC - The State Department alerts US citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL.

Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

U.S. citizens should also: :

Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.

Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.

Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.

Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.

Register in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

European governments continue to guard against terrorist attacks and conduct raids to disrupt plots. We work closely with our allies and will continue to share information with our European partners that will help identify and counter terrorist threats.
André
ex Sabena #26567