Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

Re: Explosions in the Departure Hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Flanker2 »

Thanks for sharing your experience CX Belgium and glad you were safe.
Not an ordinary day for many today.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cathay belgium wrote:I was on the FR flight to SXF , FR163 this morning.

What a day... :( :( :(

CXB
Thank you, Cathay, for this exceptional report. We are proud to count you as a member. And happy you escaped the tragic issue of the many victims of today's event.

Belgium stay strong!
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

20 minutes later and I would have walked there on my way to work as always taking the 'more enjoyable route' through departures iso arrivals...for once I'm happy I couldn't reach the airport today...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cathay belgium wrote:Then there was an announcement from the captain that we must get off the plane but that every piece off luggage/handluggage must stay IN the plane, were it is still at this moment I guess... EI-DHN ..
Advice from Brussels Airlines: Passengers who checked in baggage at the airport today, please file a lost bag report.

I guess it is the same for hand baggage?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Freken

Post by Freken »

sn26567 wrote:
cathay belgium wrote:Then there was an announcement from the captain that we must get off the plane but that every piece off luggage/handluggage must stay IN the plane, were it is still at this moment I guess... EI-DHN ..
Advice from Brussels Airlines: Passengers who checked in baggage at the airport today, please file a lost bag report.

I guess it is the same for hand baggage?
Hand bagage still in the plane should indeed be filed in the report. Lugage still in the airport, quite a lot I believe, is unknown.

eagleheart

Re: Terrorist attack, explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by eagleheart »

Two Planes from Thomas Cook left BRU 30 minutes ago, I think to LGG.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

On a sidenote - I can't do anything for the deceased and I can't help the injured. So perhaps I can help some of the thousands of stranded passengers:

When a flight is cancelled because of extraordinary circumstances like terrorist attacks, EU-Rule 261/2004 gives the stranded passengers the right to choose between a new routing and a cancellation with full refund. Passengers thus may accept or refuse the rebooking that the airline proposes. Airlines don't have to pay the penalty for cancelled flights though.

For passengers who have booked a Belgian travel package, the Belgian Reiscontractenwet / Loi Contract de Voyages applies. Most of these passengers are not allowed to cancel because a change of the departure flight is no "wezenlijk punt van de reis / élément essentiel du voyage". Within the travel package legislation, one indeed regards a flight schedule change not as "wezenlijk deel /élément essentiel", unless for a weekend package. Refund for missed holiday days: yes, but at the discretion of the touroperator (law states that the touroperator is allowed to deduct his costs for the rescheduling, but none will do).

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

No news from SN ?
Shouldnt they try to fly from other airports like jetair or thomas cook ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

avroflyer_1

Post by avroflyer_1 »

Acid-drop wrote:No news from SN ?
They have a big factor that HQ and JAF don't have and that is transfer pax, both airports are not capable to handle such operation ad hoc ;) so for tomorrow all flights are already cancelled (as announced on the website) and they day after is to decided ;)

Also important to note is that transfer pax who did get stuck in LGG and OST were flown to FRA with extra flights in order to catch a flight there to their final destination.

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

VTM did a live interview with Brussels Airport CEO Arnaud Feist.

Some items he mentioned:

- he was still on his way to the airport when the bomb attacks began. He reached the airport five minutes later.
- terminal building still inaccessible and being investigated by authorities.
- he hopes Brussels Airport staff will be allowed to access the terminal building tomorrow morning.
- first they will need to do a full check of the building's structure.
- at this moment it's not possible to tell when operations might restart.
- very likely that operations will restart with reduced capacity which will be increased gradually.
- both piers A and B are in good condition.

Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Freken

Post by Freken »

Some new images of rows 12 and 14 are appearing on HLN. Ceiling also fell down and the children play area, which was brand new, next to row 11 is completely demolished.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Binnenla ... ce=dlvr.it

EDIT: NOTAM has been updated 1 hour ago and ferry flights from and to EBBR are allowed as of now.
Last edited by Freken on 22 Mar 2016, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

avroflyer_1

Post by avroflyer_1 »

Freken wrote:Some new images of rows 12 and 14 are appearing on HLN. Ceiling also fell down and the children play area, which was brand new, next to row 11 is completely demolished.

EDIT: NOTAM has been updated 1 hour ago and ferry flights from EBBR are allowed as of now.
Indeed OO-SSD landed not long ago in BRU coming from FRA and probably OO-SSA will do the same

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Freken wrote:Some new images of rows 12 and 14 are appearing on HLN. Ceiling also fell down and the children play area, which was brand new, next to row 11 is completely demolished.

EDIT: NOTAM has been updated 1 hour ago and ferry flights from and to EBBR are allowed as of now.
In deed i have just received a message from SN office at Kigali. They will operate a ferry flight tomorrow
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

What options do they have for a quick reopening?

Encourage OLCI / no luggage and build a temporary check-in zone (tents?) in or near the parking? Then you'd just have to secure the a passage fro a terminal entrance to security.

Airlines would normally have backup plans to operate when IT systems so printed passengers lists etc. could enable for a limited number of flights.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Acid-drop wrote:No news from SN ?
Source: RwandanFlyer on Twitter:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

The Japanese news agency NHK is running as main story the fact that 1 Japanese male in his 30's was severily injured in the metro blast and one lightly in the airport blast.
With such headline news, despite NH's new BRU flight being business-oriented, there is bound to be some significant impact on the loads, especially at the front of the cabin.

In recent similar examples, following the Paris attacks, JAL had suspended the CDG-NRT B788 flight and merged demand onto the B77W flights to HND. I was on one of those B77W flights but even then it was not fully booked.
One of my friends from Japan was booked on a package tour to visit Paris and Brussels in February but that was cancelled and rebooked onto another destination because of the terror threat.
This shows how reactive Japanese are, so I hope that NH can keep the route going.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

Maybe a more informative question, but how long did it take Rome Fiumicino to pick up a sort of normal operation after it's fire?
It's comparing apples with pineapples I know, but still, the basic problem is sort of the same: part of the building inoperative.

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Treeper wrote:Maybe a more informative question, but how long did it take Rome Fiumicino to pick up a sort of normal operation after it's fire?
It's comparing apples with pineapples I know, but still, the basic problem is sort of the same: part of the building inoperative.
Two months according to an ATW Online article
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ro ... after-fire

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The Independent.co.uk wrote:Ryanair is charging of a group of 28 British passengers in Brussels nearly £6,000 in total to change their flights to this evening.

The Belgian capital has been hit by two major terror attacks, at Zaventem airport and Mallbeek metro station, which have left at least 30 people dead.

And, addressing the House of Commons, Labour's shadow small business minister Bill Esterson said a group of Britons was trying to get home from the city a day earlier than planned and had been told the new flights would cost them £214 each.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 46066.html

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jetairfly moves all its BRU flights to CRL and OST until Sunday.

And most Thomas Cook and Tailwind BRU flights will operate from Liège until Sunday.
André
ex Sabena #26567