First Belgian RNP procedure operational

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

DIBO

First Belgian RNP procedure operational

Post by DIBO »

First Belgian RNP procedure operational at EBAW.

Rwy11 operational 10/12/2015
Rwy29 planned 2017
Planned operators: Flying Group (LPV - VNAV) - JAF (VNAV)

Established02

Re: First Belgian RNP procedure operational

Post by Established02 »

What are the possible opportunities for this RNP procedure at EBBR?

Different arrival procedures for 07L and 07R?

Departure procedures for 25R that will reduce noise levels for the city of Brussels?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Six weeks ago, I have been taking off from Cusco (Peru) on an Avianca flight without realising that it was under RNP procedure. It was really impressive: Cusco (not far from Machu Picchu) is in a narrow valley surrounded by high mountains, and the aircraft was navigating smoothly and without trouble until it emerged above the Andes mountains.

That leads me to believe that RNP can indeed be very useful in airports with difficult approaches, but it would probably be rather useless at BRU (in response to established02).
André
ex Sabena #26567

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Established02 wrote:What are the possible opportunities for this RNP procedure at EBBR?
Different arrival procedures for 07L and 07R?
Departure procedures for 25R that will reduce noise levels for the city of Brussels?
As far as I know (and that's not very far :-) ), by the end of 2017 all 'Belgocontrolled' airfields will have RNP on all the runways, starting next year with 07's at EBCI & EBBR. And RNP is for each individual runway, so 07L (& 07R later on) at EBBR will have their own RNP.
I presume that the primary goal is to have lower minima's on non-precision approach equipped runways, I'm not sure what the intention is on rwy's with CAT II & III...
For noise-abatement on approach, they missed their chance at EBAW, it's a (very) long straight line bringing acft right over the city; the current VOR/DME brings them a bit more on the side of the city (not that it makes much difference). I would have expected something more curved to avoid the city centre and to follow more the 'Ring'. But the lower RNP minima's on rwy11 are of course, very good.
Military airbases (EBKB, BE, FS, FN) also seem to be working on RNP, don't really know why, I doubt if much of their equipment is LPV - R/VNAV equipped.
And EBKT also seem to have plans on RNP, could be very useful for them to lower the minima's (how all this works out in class G airspace, I don't know).
And for RNP SID departure routes, don't know if anything is planned at all...

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

EBKT also seem to have plans on RNP, could be very useful for them to lower the minima
... as well as being more budget-friendly, perhaps? At least it should avoid the calibration flights, which can't be cheap.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

well... strangely enough, a lot of calibration flying was needed in July for the rwy11 RNP; don't know what they exactly did during these flights. Maybe checking that there were no mountains hiding the satellite signals maybe :-)
But you're right, a lot cheaper than a full ILS and much easier to "install" :-)

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

RNP in action, 2 RNAV approaches by Jetairfly today.
Attachments
RNAV 2.JPG
RNAV 1.JPG

alexlopez

Post by alexlopez »

I noticed that there are several LPV implementation plans for other Belgian airports here:
https://egnos-user-support.essp-sas.eu/ ... /index.php

You can even see the expected publication dates and for which runways. I think they do mention some of the operators which could be making use of them. I guess this is more related to LPV equipage rather than other RNP Approaches such as LNAV or LNAV/VNAV but it is very interesting anyway. I guess Belgocontrol will be publishing the three minimia lines there too.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hi, welcome to Luchtzak, AlexLopez!
André
ex Sabena #26567

NavDelta

Post by NavDelta »

Since you started this topic a lot has changed in the subject of LNAV-VNAV and procedures implementation in Europe. I believe the first that finished it in entire country were the Polish (1 aerodorme is described as planned but that is because a runway construction - it had LNAV, LNAV-VNAV before). You will find Germans, Swedish, Finnish and some smaller countries like Bulgaria and Estonia as countries who did quite well in implementing these procedures.

The EU countries lagging behind are: Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy, former Yugoslavia republics and Romania. The UK is not very succesfull as well.

If you are interested in LNAV, LNAV-VNAV and LPV procedures implementation I suggest using Eurocontrol map tool for PBN deployment monitoring - it can be accessed via
https://www.eurocontrol.int/platform/pe ... n-map-tool
Registration is free, just remember to pick map tab at the top.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

DIBO wrote: 25 Dec 2015, 01:00First Belgian RNP procedure operational at EBAW. Rwy11
Rwy29 planned 2017
With 'a bit' of delay, the RNP RWY 29 is available as of yesterday.

In the original planning (2015) this was going to be the last one in Belgium, don't know if that is still the case, as 07L at EBBR still has no RNP and there (as an outsider) I would have expected a good opportunity to improve on the daytime-only VOR approach