Ryanair back to OST

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airDD

Ryanair back to OST

Post by airDD »

I just read that Ryanair wants to fly to Rome & Girona from OST; starting this fall.

What are your thoughts on this?

Will this cannibalize their ops is CRL?

Can the local market support flights to those southern locations year round?

Thanks,

airDD

vflies

Post by vflies »

Hello AirDD:

I'd be curious to know your sources...
But I'm afraid they're not reliable...

Ryanair will launch 9 new routes for the winter season, mostly from their new base at London-Lutton and the only one to the Low Countries is from Rome to Eindhoven!
Nothing new for CRL and nothing at all for OST!
IMO The most interesting new destination would have to be Riga, Ryanair's first destination in a new European member state.

Check their website for accurate info...

VFlies

Manuel

Post by Manuel »

It was all over the Belgian news today ...

Ryanair wants to fly to Ostend again, starting this fall, with routes to Rome and Barcelona (Girona). A spokesman for Ostend Airport has confirmed this news in a radio interview.

However, it's Ostend airport who hasn't made a decision yet. The financial details are already approved internally BUT ... they first want to make sure that the contract doesn't contain things that could cause problems with the European Commission or other airports.

Grtz,

Someone who lives near the airport ... well, in Bruges anyway ;)

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

vflies wrote:I'd be curious to know your sources...
But I'm afraid they're not reliable...
every single news-edition talks about it today. That can count for a source i guess .....
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

vueling

Post by vueling »

Yes indeed, the news is in a lot of newspaper ...
vflies you better informed yourself before saying that the source is inacurate...

Well, this choice is quite understanable from Ryanair. Oostende will attract more easily than Charleroi the Belgian coming from the flemish region. Perhaps some people now are not willing to go to Charleroi from the north of Belgian to take a low fare flight... So it will help ryanair to have a bigger market.
However, In another hand, this choice may affected the charleroi base. As a reguler user of ryanair route, I noticed that a lot of Belgian travellers from the various destinations of ryanair are flemish, and therefore coming from the north of Belgium. These people would prefer to travel from a airport more closer from them, as oostende for example. So, of rynair choose Oostende with the same destinations as Charleroi, as the news is telling us, there will be a change in the ammoung of traveller for Charleroi.
I think a more inteligent solution would be to open or, new destination from oostende, or new destination from their base (and therefore new belgian jobs) Charleroi.
Bye, and thx for the info airDD!

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

There was an article about this in 'De Tijd' today, not really what I call an 'unreliable' newspaper.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Vueling,

I would say more than 50% of the flemish people live closer to Charleroi than to Ostend(-Bruges :wink: ). I live in Hasselt, and Charleroi is 1h, Ostend 2-3h...
For a cachment area of 10 milion people, 2 airports is not to much, I would guess.
Ryanair has an obligation to transport 400.000 people (or a similar number, not sure though) through Ostend-Bruges before a certain time, so they had to come up with something, or it would cost them €€€...

Greetz

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

From what I read somewhere, the OST Ryanair operations would be charters! Not really reliable...
André
ex Sabena #26567