VLM Airlines news 2014-2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Avnu

Re: VLM Airlines bought by management, buys SSJ100 aircraft

Post by Avnu »

Boavida wrote:So what's the difference between the standard SSJ100 and SSJ100-LR (Long Range)? Is the LR-version bigger?
No, because VLM will actually receive the Base version first which will later be upgraded to the LR one. And that doesn't involve stretching it somehow :) From what I understand, it's mostly a matter of bigger fuel tanks and winglets to improve the fuel burn.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

The LR and the base SSJ-100-95 have the same fuel capacity. The LR has an increased MTOW allowing it to take more fuel without severe payload restrictions thus increasing the range of the type.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

SN26557, impressive resume from a flight operations point of view.
But we all know that flight ops is only a small part of running airlines, and in aviation, nett experience helps but is not enough.
Aviation is a highly competitive environment, and only the best can win.

I'm surprised about the positive reactions about the SSJ100 on this forum.
When I talked about how Belgium could work together with Russia on a 5th generation fighter built under license with transfer of technology and export license, it was like hell was going to fall on us.

I have mixed feelings about the SSJ100-95 out of ANR.
Positive:
-Regarding fuel burn, it does slightly better than the equivalent E190
-Purchase/leasing cost will be very cheap, as Russia wants to push their RJ's on the export market.
-On RJ's that commonly see shorter flight times per day, cheaper capital cost is important
-the thing flies like a fighter jet
-Probably suited for ANR operations, although some longer routes can have an outbound payload restriction, but no problems inbound

Negative:
-Ilyushin Finance probably has some slots, but the SSJ has failed to ramp up production
-Operational reliability is not so certain under a high-efficiency operation
-Antwerpians are hardcore Nimby's, and they won't appreciate noisy jets flying in and out every 5 minutes
-current generation RJ's such as the SSJ100 are not very competitive aircraft, especially on longer low-yield routes. They can only perform in certain niches, limiting the market.

TLV, BEY, CMN, TNG, TUN, GVA could work, but with a decent business class concept they could even try their luck on the typical business routes from Brussels.

Though I encourage the initiative, I'm a bit skeptical, simply because RJ's are not efficient on long, thin routes.
Last edited by Flanker2 on 30 Oct 2014, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

More details about future operations in an interview of CEO Arthur White with Routesonline:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... m-antwerp/

Main points:

- two-class arrangement with 12 Business and 75 Economy seats in the SSJ100LR
- point-to-point regional operations into airports close to city centres that are performance and noise restricted and cannot be served by larger airliners such as the A320 and 737
- “modest” scheduled operation that will complement its ACMI activities
- by the end of 2015, up to seven city pairs: four using three or four F50s and three others dedicated to the Superjets
- first turboprop route could be launched as early as next month
- no intention to compete with Cityjet on ANR-LCY route
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

I sure wish them all the best - but there are not many western airlines that met with success when flying with aircraft from Eastern Europe. In fact, is there one ?
I'll say it again : I hope they'll be successful, but I have some apprehension.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

airazurxtror wrote:I sure wish them all the best - but there are not many western airlines that met with success when flying with aircraft from Eastern Europe. In fact, is there one ?
I'll say it again : I hope they'll be successful, but I have some apprehension.
From Eastern Europe? I think you can be happy there are no (or little) Eastern European people on this forum, many of the most anti-Russia countries and people are situated in Eastern Europe. So let's keep it with Russian aircraft instead of aircraft from Eastern Europe.

Regarding your question. Did one serious western airline ever actually tried it (I'm talking about newer generation Russian aircraft)? I don't think so.
Interjet in Mexico can be seen as western though and they are very happy with their Sukhoi's.

Someone will have to try it. This can work out and prove to be a major launch for Sukhoi in Europe or this can blow up in their faces. IF VLM succeeds, they did a great deal because you can be assured that Sukhoi and Ilyushin Finance are prepared to do a lot for a Western European customer leasing/buying their aircraft.

A318

Post by A318 »

Dispatch reliability SSJ100 Interjet:

http://aviationweek.com/blog/997-dispatch-reliability
A Whole Different Animal

AAI

Post by AAI »

i think the first new destiantion will be GVA end of nov with the reliable F50!

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

AAI wrote:i think the first new destiantion will be GVA end of nov with the reliable F50!
I'm sort of bothered by how quickly they want to start introducing scheduled flights. I know they inherit a well established and highly regarded brand name, but at the end of the day it's still a new service. So many other companies have learned the hard way that you can't start selling tickets just weeks or days before the inaugural flight and hope to get a decent load factor right away. Such things take time, word of mouth, marketing... Jetairfly has already gotten a lot of media attention and yet it will be another five months and a half before they actually start flying.

Surely, people who would benefit from such a flight to go skiing in the Geneva area have already planned their trip? And while those travelling for business may plan just a few days or weeks ahead, I doubt VLM will be immediately available - and thus visible - to corporate travel agents.

What's the hurry? Wouldn't it be much wiser to start selling tickets now but postpone the first flights until early 2015 so as to start off with a decent load factor?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

They've got to start somewhere I guess, no?
GVA is a low-risk proposition with F50's. They can immediately tap into a part of the BRU-GVA traffic that flies to/from Antwerp.

Like I said in the other thread, I think that VG is anticipating the demise of SN and is preparing to take advantage of it, even if they have to join the others (FR, VY, JAF) to push it over the cliff.
Attacking their most lucrative shorthaul markets makes sense in that way, so next will probably be the U.K. and Berlin?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Will this be the livery? Looks good!

Full picture: http://www.planepix.ch/chrisart/SSJ100/0040.jpg

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Boavida wrote:Will this be the livery? Looks good!
The news was brought out with a render showing an SSJ in the full blue livery that VLM used before the integration with CityJet. So yes I assume they will return to the full blue livery in the near future. Currently they only have a light version with blue titles and a white aircraft.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/VLM-Airl ... d404ef3878

I hope also part of the Fokker fleet will return to that great blue livery
http://www.airliners.net/photo/VLM-Airl ... d404ef3878

regi

Post by regi »

Rekkof ! Hello, wakey wakey !

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Boavida wrote:Will this be the livery? Looks good!

Full picture: http://www.planepix.ch/chrisart/SSJ100/0040.jpg
would be nice if they return with the blue livery , as the whole website is already in blue chances are pretty high .. :)
Citybird
The flying dream

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Zaventem, 2020 ? 8-)

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

Fingers crossed. 2020 to Buenos Aires, Tokyo, Johannesburg... ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Boavida wrote:Zaventem, 2020 ? 8-)

Sure this one will not be able to land in ANR (unless they move the airport elsewhere).
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

RoMax wrote:Someone will have to try it. This can work out and prove to be a major launch for Sukhoi in Europe or this can blow up in their faces. IF VLM succeeds, they did a great deal because you can be assured that Sukhoi and Ilyushin Finance are prepared to do a lot for a Western European customer leasing/buying their aircraft.
VLM will be a show case for SukhoÏ ..
The ssj100 is IMHO a fine a/c that should do better on the global marketplace ..
The obstacles are for a part due to Sukhoï themselves, fighting to prove their maturity as a manufacturer..
Slow ramp up, spares and maintenance issues seem to be gradually ironed out. The overall quality of the a/c seems good as I've read no significant complaints from the operators up to now.
The rest of the equation is mainly trust building, Sukhoï has more to loose than VLM in this tieup.
Be sure many regional operators in Europe will be looking at this ..
AZ comes to mind but surely others too.. and Sn is at the balcony.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Airframe of Sukhoi Superjet 100 Long Range aircraft delivered to TsAGI for endurance testing

On November 6th 2014, the airframe of Sukhoi Superjet 100LR (Long Range) aircraft was delivered to the Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute named after professor N.E. Zhukovsky (TsAGI), in order to carry out endurance testing, press-service of Sukhoi Civil Aircraft Company (SCAC) reports.

The SSJ100 aircraft, certified model RRJ-95LR-100, MSN 95075, was delivered in knocked down condition by the An-124 “Ruslan” to the Ramenskoye airfield, located in Zhukovsky (Moscow Region). Fuselage, wings and empennage will soon be joined and the airframe will be fitted with special system used to impose load as well as measuring sensors,” the company noted.

During the endurance testing, all the primary structural elements of the aircraft will be checked under different loading conditions corresponding to all flight conditions, including turbulence,” Chief Designer of SCAC Vladimir Lavrov said. “The test results should confirm both the claimed aircraft service life and the program of maintenance checks developed for this aircraft type”.

We remind you that in 2013, the Aviation Register of the Interstate Aviation Committee (IAC AR) certified the Long Range version of Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft and confirmed its compliance with IAC AR regulations. This fact allowed Russian carriers to start the operation of the SSJ100 LR jet. At present the company is working on European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) certification for the Long Range version of Sukhoi Superjet 100.

The endurance testing should confirm the designed service life of Sukhoi Superjet 100 LR aircraft: 70 000 flight hours and 54 000 cycles, SCAC noted.

SCAC and TsAGI have been working in close cooperation in the network of Sukhoi Superjet 100 project since 2001. One of the largest scientific research centers was used to carry out static tests of SSJ100 airframe (MSN 95002) and specific aircraft components. The same center also carried out studies on the aircraft’s aerodynamics using wind tunnels.

Besides longer range (compared to basic version), the aircraft has an increased takeoff weight – up to 49.45 tons and reinforced wing (in order to compensate the increased takeoff weight). This version of SSJ100 is powered by SaM146-1S18 engine having 5% more thrust, SCAC added.

Russian Aviation » Tuesday November 11, 2014 11:57 MSK
André
ex Sabena #26567

tsv

Post by tsv »

Smart move by VLM. There has never been a better time to buy Russian Aircraft and there has never been a better Russian Aircraft to buy.

The deal has some obvious Political risks but IMO most of the risk specific to the Aircraft has been eliminated by Interjet's (apparently) very successful introduction of their SJ fleet. Even Aeroflot seems to have stopped whinging about them which says a lot because they didn't want them but were forced to order them for Political reasons.

I expect Chinese Airlines to end up flying a heap of SSJ's and there is great potential for sales in Africa and the Middle East as well, especially Iran if they can overcome Sanctions problems.