SN presents "The Loft", its new A Pier Lounge

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

FlightMate

Re: SN presents "The Loft", its new A Pier Lounge

Post by FlightMate »

Access for 25€? That's a pretty good deal!
I've got priority pass unlimited access, but I always end up paying the 27$ for my wife to come with me.

If that's a reality, I'll probably add the 25 euros each and every time (specially if the food is better than in the PP lounge - not difficult, as there is none...)

White Light

Post by White Light »

DannyVDB wrote:One question: it seems that they have taken all the space from what was previously the Piority Pass lounge. Where is this lounge now. Or did that one disappear ...?
I seem to remember that the "Common Lounge" with access for Priority Pass holders has been moved to the very back of the hallway, turn left when facing the SAS Lounge.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Hi, as promissed, I've checked out this new lounge this morning.

I tried to arrive a fair bit earlier to get some more time, but sadly BIAC is investing money in the wrong things (like ever more shopping space) iso gates for planes and parking space for cars, so in the end I almost decided to drive back to the office and cancel my trip because I couldn't get rid of my car in the frontpark! Luckily I managed to find a place after all then, so off I went.

As to this new lounge: it really looks very good: quite trendy and modern look!
Wouldn't be surprised to see this become an award winner in future, given that other lounge at the end of the A pier which is used for long haul flights got very good reviews in the past (I've tried it once and indeed it's a very nice one, especially the view), yet it can't match this one, for sure!

It's really huge compared to the previous one and although there were quite some people in it, it didn't feel full. Didn't have enough time to try the full buffet (thank you, BIAC!), but it smelled good and looked ample.
The app thing is a really cool feature as it allowes you to reserve a shower (looked pretty popular given the number of booked slots already) and the sleeping boxes yourself, so no need to refer to the lounge receptionist. Most people weren't using the freely available tablets though, but installed the app on their own device.

It's always difficult to compare lounges as much depend on personal taste for a certain style, but this one definitely offers more than the 'average' short distance lounge does as far as I am concerned. I imagine it's been quite an expensive thing to build and now to run, so they definitely have other plans with this than they have announced so far.

Now, please do something to the B pier lounge too because it has fallen way behind the other 2, or better still, close it and move all the non-schengen flights over to the A pier: I never understood why they don't use the non-schengen part of the A pier also for their UK, Moscou and Tel Aviv flights: it would make things so much better and probably also cheaper for them (eg 1 lounge less)?
Is it BIAC which doesn't allow them to?

Thank you.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Inquirer wrote:Now, please do something to the B pier lounge too because it has fallen way behind the other 2, or better still, close it and move all the non-schengen flights over to the A pier: I never understood why they don't use the non-schengen part of the A pier also for their UK, Moscou and Tel Aviv flights: it would make things so much better and probably also cheaper for them (eg 1 lounge less)?
Is it BIAC which doesn't allow them to?Thank you.
Maybe they expected the A West expansion faster and were waiting for it?

Remains my "ideal" solution: A Star Alliance hub pier, all gates Schengen, but in the West extension with a second Non Schengen floor so the gates are flexible.

B Pier, part Schengen, part Non Schengen for all other carriers. If I'm not mistaken all security checks for A and B will be done in "the connector", so it should be feasible.

Cheers,

Stijn

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Flanker2 wrote:It looks like a classroom... they only forgot the black board.

Also quite ugly ceilings IMO... not only the 1990's striped fake-ceiling, but it's a basic principle of interior design that the ceiling has to be in a clear color, and the floor in a darker color, because in nature, the white sky serves as our orientation point for "the up" and the dark-colored floor as "the down".
This gives you the impression that you're upside down and falling head-first.

Who designed this and who approved this?

viewtopic.php?p=307727#p307727

http://t4.rbxcdn.com/cd4f748eef3614894c5f3c2d8783e283
Oh boy... I was reading the OP and I thought "When will I read a negative comment from Flanker2...?"

You are really making a fool of yourself. I know far to little about aviation to get into your input in the more technical and financial approach, but with posts like these you once again prove what actually about everyone who follows this forum on a more then occasional basis knows already, you're just a childish little boy who considers himself more important then you actually are.
Nobody takes you serious anymore and I keep wondering: what the hell happened to you to be so biased against SN to be only happy when the company goes belly up so you can cheer 'I told you so' on this forum.

Look hard and try to find a life :roll:

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Futuretravelexperience.com on the new lounge :

http://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2 ... d-89084777

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

As I said before, tested the lounge on Monday evening this week.

It was great! I was surprised that it was already quite full ...

Only one '-': I was sitting close to the windows and at that spot there were very few power connections. I am sure they will fix that soon.

Food: great
Space: great
Seats: great
Atmosphere: great

I did not test the other amenities :D That is for next time, in fact next week :D

Cheers,
Danny

torchus

Post by torchus »

WIth the opening of the connector, will this lounge also be accessible for passengers departing pier B ?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Here is a video of "the loft".
I wouldn't say that my first impression looks like an ugly place, but what is really appalingly disorientating and discomforting for me is the dark ceiling.

All the space is open so everyone can see what you're doing.

Then we move on to the classroom section, which looks like, well a classroom.
Then the internet area feels claustrophobic, without windows and high density and to the right, the Skype door to the sauna??

I think that the only thing I like is the buffet area.

If this is chique for you, then you have a lot to discover in the world.
I wouldn't rate it as unacceptable, but I definitely wouldn't pay 25 euro's for those croissants and a piece of baguette. There are only few lounges around the world that can really be qualified as great, so I don't see what all the fuss is about my criticism here. I'm not anti-SN, but you guys are really overdoing it.

A great/chique lounge has smooth leather chairs that offer privacy, a marble floor or 5cm thick carpet, and offer you food à la carte instead of croissants (which if my eye is not mistaken, are not baked from fresh but from frozen, like Panos). And they don't have dark ceilings.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Call me crazy, but I like the black ceiling. At the moment this was filmed, it was dark outside, so no natural light. The dark ceiling actually pulled the 'night effect' (with not to strong lights on a black background) into the lounge instead of making you feel like you are in an overlighted space while you just want to relax in the early morning or evening.

This is not a 5 star First Class lounge intended for the most demanding First Class long haul passengers of a 5 star airline, this is a Schengen Business lounge like you have at least one at basicly every European airport. Among that type of lounges, this is certainly one of the better. That's not my opinion, that's the opinion from several frequent flyers I heard in the last few weeks.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

You're right, so we should keep comments at the level of a Shengen lounge.
I think that some of the comments went over the top.
If you ask me, for breakfast I would rather buy bread from a local bakery that actually knows how to make fresh bread, or have a decent meal somewhere if I had to pay for it.
And the last thing I want is a crowded lounge.

I don't say that the food quality is any better there (also unfrozen bread and probably a lot of the other stuff too), but if you have to pay for it, at the Sheraton next door they also serve a breakfast and lunch for around 25 euro's and the atmosphere there is good. You can also use the lobby as a lounge.

If you don't pay for it, I guess that the SN lounge is ok, acceptable.

I'll be using the Iberia lounges from next year as I go Sapphire (first time in my life I cared about getting status, but it's mostly linked to luggage and seating perks that I find useful).
I've read some good reviews about it, but tell me, does it also have a black ceiling? :D

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Flanker2 wrote:You're right, so we should keep comments at the level of a Shengen lounge.
I think that some of the comments went over the top.
If you ask me, for breakfast I would rather buy bread from a local bakery that actually knows how to make fresh bread, or have a decent meal somewhere if I had to pay for it.
And the last thing I want is a crowded lounge.

I don't say that the food quality is any better there (also unfrozen bread and probably a lot of the other stuff too), but if you have to pay for it, at the Sheraton next door they also serve a breakfast and lunch for around 25 euro's and the atmosphere there is good. You can also use the lobby as a lounge.

If you don't pay for it, I guess that the SN lounge is ok, acceptable.

I'll be using the Iberia lounges from next year as I go Sapphire (first time in my life I cared about getting status, but it's mostly linked to luggage and seating perks that I find useful).
I've read some good reviews about it, but tell me, does it also have a black ceiling? :D
But the Lounge is free you don't have to pay!!!!!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Flanker2 wrote:You're right, so we should keep comments at the level of a Shengen lounge.
FWIW, from the opening post:
RoMax wrote:Considering that this is just a Schengen lounge, I would say, not bad, not bad at all.
I am pretty sure everybody using the lounge prior to their flight and commenting on it here so far was quite aware of their destination and thus comparing to other schengen lounges: I certainly did.

I found it above average and believe me, I fly very ofen: how many times a week do you check into a business class lounge somewhere in Europe, if I may say so? I remember you flew basic economy to Japan (from a trip report) not so long ago, so its a bit hard to believe you to be a very seasoned premium domestic flyer at the same time.

Okay, your personal taste is clearly not nordic, but rather South European: dark wooden furniture, marble floors covered with thick dark carpets, lots of gilt items all around on tables etc like it was popular 15 years ago. Personally, I dislike that style very much and it doesn't keep clean as many people have discovered these days, which is why carpets and all those other decorative features are so unpopular in (Northern) Europe these days.

Allow me to say your interventions make you sound like a jealous neighbour who comes over straight away when you drive your new car home for the first time after picking it up at the dealer and immediately starts saying he really doesn't like the cream coloured leather interior and would never drive one in such a dark colour, while driving a 15 year orange LADA himself. :roll:

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Just came across a background publication on "the loft" in De Tijd Connect, mainly the IT aspects of it:
http://www.tijd.be/sas/passievoordenieu ... m=referral

Some interesting general facts:
b.air expects a similar double digit growth figure for this year as they had in 2014
360.000 lounge users have use the loft so far
60% more lounge visitors recorded since the new facilities opened
Online connectivity to be rolled out throughout the company