SN aircraft intercepted by French Rafale last June

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

SN aircraft intercepted by French Rafale last June

Post by Flanker2 »

Headline news on hln.be:

A French Rafale intercepted an SN aircraft after comm loss.

The captain of the SN flight has indicated to the FO that he would be taking a rest and that he were to watch the aircraft. A little later, the FO did not respond to calls from ATC for over 10 minutes and a French Rafale was sent out for interception.

As the Rafale intercepted the aircraft, communication was restored.
Probably commotion in the cabin resulted in a wake-up call for the pilots, sources indicate that the FO fell asleep too.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/960/Buitenland ... ines.dhtml

Stij

Re: SN aircraft intercepted: pilots asleep

Post by Stij »

Flanker2 wrote:...
Probably commotion in the cabin resulted in a wake-up call for the pilots, sources indicate that the FO fell asleep too.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/960/Buitenland ... ines.dhtml
Thanks for the nice translation Flanker2, you may have forgotton to translate that BruAir denies that their FO fell asleep and that the FO thought the calls were for another aircraft.

Cheers,

Stij

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

HLN :
Volgens een bron met kennis van het dossier was er in de eerste vaststellingen sprake dat ook de copiloot was ingedommeld. Brussels Airlines ontkent.

It happened on 28 June, on a flight Lanzarote-Brussels.
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/monde/europe ... 24753.html

Une "histoire belge" comme disent nos amis français ...
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

that BruAir denies that their FO fell asleep and that the FO thought the calls were for another aircraft.
There is seldom smoke without a fire.
How many repeat do you do before you send a fighter jet ?
How many times can a FO wrongly listen ?

In any case, does anyone need to sleep during a 4h flight ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Acid-drop wrote:
that BruAir denies that their FO fell asleep and that the FO thought the calls were for another aircraft.
Hello

Incident happened on the way back to BRU, so pilots were flying already longer than 4h.
They were ''flying'' for +/- 7h when this happenend. (BRU-ACE 4h flight, 50min-1h ground time, 2h30-3h flying to French Border)

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

At what time of the day was it?
which aircraft type?

Anyway, controlled rest is normal with most operators. (Specially for 2-men operations through the night)
But it must be properly set up. With maybe an alarm or cabin crew checking after a specific time lapse.

the responsability lies with the pilots, but also with the company. It would be nice to have access to the pilots' roster a few days before the event.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Can be various reasons for it, but a fact is that it happens much more frequently than the incidents you hear about (and each year there are numerous incidents you hear about in the media).

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24296544

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Acid-drop wrote:
Reports about aviation incidents "smoke in the cockpit" mostly are without a fire.

Perhaps we can wait for some kind of official source before concluding whatever? Like your collegue-moderator Stij said: the airline denies that both pilots were asleep.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:
Acid-drop wrote:
Reports about aviation incidents "smoke in the cockpit" mostly are without a fire.

Perhaps we can wait for some kind of official source before concluding whatever? Like your collegue-moderator Stij said: the airline denies that both pilots were asleep.
Strange ... When it's about Ryanair you usually sing another tune :roll:
As for this "incident" .... a non-event

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

Well... it's still a rumour amongst pilots working FOR SN.

of course, the FO in question will deny.

the outcome could have been worse. Remember the nwa? Flew past their destination for an hour.

On the other hand, a sleeping crew worries me less than a FO who doesnt reply to ATC for an hour without wondering why...

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello

Guys please stay to the topic ! And not again a FR SN fight....

Maybe we can just ask us another question:

How many SN aircraft were flying at that time in French airspace and in this control zone, because to me it sounds weird how you can mix up callsigns of a foreign airliner? If you miss an ATC call in FRA if you are LH ok, if you miss an ATC call in CDG if you are AF, if you miss an ATC call in AMS if you are KLM ok but Brussels Airlines above France in this specific Control area? And OK is more like their is a bigger chance to miss or misunderstand a call.

Greetings,

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Strange ... When it's about Ryanair you usually sing another tune. As for this "incident" .... a non-event
Contrary to what you say, I did not say it was a non-event:
Passenger wrote:Perhaps we can wait for some kind of official source before concluding whatever? Like your collegue-moderator Stij said: the airline denies that both pilots were asleep.
Actually, I've posted this incident already before Flanker did, and I added that the flight received a military welcome.
https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 80#p307435

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

Acid-drop wrote:
Are you serious???????

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

The HLN-article mentioned it was probably a charterflight for TCB operated by SN :?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

According to SN the FO was listening out for a Beeline callsign when they were actually a Thomas Cook callsign. It called "human error" ... Like I said .... A non-event

Flying Apple

Post by Flying Apple »

According to the spokesperson on VTM news it was a charter flight with a different callsign.

I can imagine if you always fly the same callsign and just for one day you have to use a different one that you forget it for a second (of a few minutes)

I even have used a company callsign in a cessna :)

sn26567

Re: SN aircraft intercepted by French Rafale last June

Post by sn26567 »

Let's not hide our face, it was indeed a human error: the FO should have known that his call sign was "Thomas Cook" and not "Beeline". Now, this error had no bad consequences and was not likely to have any. Thus let's cool our tempers and not start a new SN/FR war.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Where is the SN/FR war? Like I said ... A non event

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

sn26567 wrote:Let's not hide our face, it was indeed a human error: the FO should have known that his call sign was "Thomas Cook" and not "Beeline". Now, this error had no bad consequences and was not likely to have any. Thus let's cool our tempers and not start a new SN/FR war.
Hello

But Andre what if every pilot would do this? I would certainly check my information paper again which is close to the FMS with my callsign on it (or at least in our company it's always between both FMS's).
Every day a lot of charter flights are flying under a different call sign, think of an EuroAtlantic flying for SN to Africa, Germania for JAF, Brussels Airlines for Thomas Cook, SATA for Thomas Cook, Air Explore for JAF etc

I would even say you should know your callsign even better when flying a charter since that is not happening that often, I mean most of the time Brussels Airlines pilots say ''Beeline'' only during the summer they sometimes need to say ''Thomas Cook'' so I guess as a pilot that is maybe ''more challenging.''

Greetings,

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Should the French ATC have not first contacted SN Operations before sending a fighter?
Just a question.