3 'new' routes for Antwerp, but is it enough?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Re: 3 'new' routes for Antwerp, but is it enough?

Post by airazurxtror »

Brussels is not the origin of all Belgian who take a plane : for a lot of people living elsewhere, other airports (Antwerp, Charleroi for instance) are nearer their home and/or easier to reach.
Besides, it's not imperative to establish routes with a dozen flights per day - three or even two return flights at appropriate times is quite enough.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Brussels is not the origin of all Belgian who take a plane : for a lot of people living elsewhere, other airports (Antwerp, Charleroi for instance) are nearer their home and/or easier to reach.
It is not only belgians who may be attracted to leave from deurne airport.Catchment area of ANR is slightly diffrent than the one from Brussels. Citizens working and/or living in the dutch privinces of zeeland and Noord-Brabant may be more tempted to leave from ANR if a good offer is there,iso leaving from BRU,RTM ,EIN or AMS.
some multinationals have their BNL HQ in Breda which is not too far away from ANR. Destinations such as ZRH(with connecting possibilities),GVA or MAN are not or barely offered from RTM and EIN. AMS and BRU are already farther away.
Having said this it will remain a challenge to fill a twice daily S200 or F50 flight from ANR,but not impossible.
Implementing a few flights here and there will not put in motion the 'fly from ANR reflex'
IMHO thought could be given to serve these destinations at the end of some scissor operation in combination with other city pairs which have no ,or poor,connection to these cities either. e.g.
Birmingham-ANR-ZRH
MAN-ANR-Hannover(Flybe has already a daily flt fm MAN.They could make a stop in ANR and make twice daily
NCL-ANR-GVA
London(SEN-LCY)-ANR-Bremen
Dublin(DUB)-ANR-Hamburg

ANR could also be the end/start point of regular one stop flights (Jet equipment)
e.g.
to Saint-Petersburg via Gdansk (Polish and Russian community living in antwerp and port related business)
to Malmo via Hamburg (malmo - 4th biggest city in Sweden. Not directly served from BRU nor HAM nor NL)
to Cork via Jersey
to Glasgow via London southend
to Berlin via Kassel (yes...new to be tested ground)
etc..
Just some ideas now that there seems to be a revived interest in the Antwerp airport.
Grtz.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

I 'm not an expert in this field but i think for a start there should be a lot more publicity abroad for the antwerp airport and its surroundings. Yes you can start with scheduled flights out of anr to london, geneva and a lot more destinations. It migth be al interesting for the belgian people to to take out of anr but is there also an interest from the otherside? Is the otherside familiar with Antwerp airport and its surroundings? Are the english, the swiss, french etc interested to fly to ANR? A scheduled route can only be succesful if both sides are interested. Besides i dont really believe in the jetairfly story. Looks a bit like the Ostend story wich is not really a boost for the airport. And, are they going to fly straight to destination or are they going to do a stop in brussels?
Another thing: if antwerp airport wants to increase the pas numbers by creating all new routes, they should first invest in infrastructure. If i see that during the week, the parking is almost full (and which has nothing to do with these flew flights to the UK), i'm wondering how it will look like if these routes are a success.
Another thing: vlm did already flights to geneva and zurich in the past. They must have stopped it for a reason. Why should it be now a huge succes?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I remember that VG tried with Avro RJ's. That's a non-starter.

b720

Post by b720 »

They actually operated F50 to GVA, from ANR (thnx for correction).. I took that flight many times.. I think it was 2000, 2001 and 2002? Flight time to GVA was about 90 min! I still think that LX to ZRH will work!! connecting PAX, and maybe some ski trips in winter.. (ski for GVA too plus Business).. Flights BRU-GVA-BRU are always very full.. and fares are not that low! Specially for those starting the trip in GVA (in CHF).. SN must be making lots of money on that route. BRU-ZRH on LX are not as full, depending on the flow of connecting pax. Some flights used to be more than half empty, that was when the lowest fare BRU-ZRH-BRU was EUR 450! Now they start from EUR 149, must be filling seats?
AF to CDG will be great too! The trip to Brussels Zuid, then train to CDG, then re-checking luggage and security etc..is a nightmare. I don't even consider AF anymore, for that reason, and having to wait an hour or more at the cold platforms of Roissy for the return train (that detours to LILLE) is a very depressing mode of travel.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

AF to CDG will be great too! The trip to Brussels Zuid, then train to CDG, then re-checking luggage and security etc..is a nightmare. I don't even consider AF anymore, for that reason, and having to wait an hour or more at the cold platforms of Roissy for the return train (that detours to LILLE) is a very depressing mode of travel.
I'm doing this very often now and with 2 pieces of luggage and 1 cabin luggage. Indeed, it's a true nightmare( I plan to make extensive TR's where the many issues are detailed)
Flights to CDG are really necessary out of BRU/ANR if airlines want to attract customers to their CDG longhaul flight, especially the ones who don't have direct BRU flights.

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

AAI wrote:i think it will be a 19-seater
The rumour is at least ZRH and GVA will be flown with a 50-seater. So it does look like Etihad Regional/Darwin would be the most obvious candidate.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Flanker2 wrote:... I plan to make extensive TR's where the many issues are detailed...
We're looking forward to these TR!

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The three new routes (BCN, MXP, SXF) will be operated thrice weekly from 17 April 2015 by Jetairfly. See the thread "Jetairfly in 2015" for further information and discussion.

https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 83#p307590
André
ex Sabena #26567

carllegein

Post by carllegein »

What about flights between ANR and ZRH with a high frequency and with a 8 seater turboprop ?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

carllegein wrote:What about flights between ANR and ZRH with a high frequency and with a 8 seater turboprop ?
Great idea if there are enough passengers (e.g. from the diamond industry) to fill these aircraft for (very) high ticket prices, because such an operation is extremely expensive if you ask me.

But that's just my opinion, without actual data to prove anything.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

VLM started a service to Geneva, several years ago; they had first considered Zürich, but found the slots unavailable or (more likely) too expensive.

b720

Post by b720 »

That flight was a code share with Sabena.
ANR - GVA SN5181 07:00 08:35 X6
SN5185 11:20 13:00 6
SN5189 17:20 19:00 D

Operated by VG

AAI

Post by AAI »

GVA would also be interesting for ski-pax, departing from a calm airport
but i'm afraid it won't be for this winter!

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

AAI wrote:GVA would also be interesting for ski-pax, departing from a calm airport
but i'm afraid it won't be for this winter!
Hello

I know ASL is already operating ski charter flights during winter season out of ANR. But mainly to Austria.
These ski airports are still missing if you ask me (from ANR,BRU.. from all Belgian airports)

I always go to Salzburg (Austria) on ski holiday and I can only get their by aircraft via The Netherlands with Transavia or Germany with Austrian or GermanWings...
So TCAB or JAF let's do it! Same goes for Innsbruck and yes TCAB and JAF have licensed pilots to fly to these airports since they sometimes operate AdHoc flights to these airports.

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

AAI

Post by AAI »

Unfortunately ASL is decreasing the number of seats from 16 to 8
as they sold their 1900!

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

AAI wrote:Unfortunately ASL is decreasing the number of seats from 16 to 8
as they sold their 1900!
Hello

Didn't their 1900 had 19 seats ?

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

AAI

Post by AAI »

normally a 1900D does
but this was a luxe version with 16 seats

danieln

Post by danieln »

Interesting article inthe Belgian newspaper Gazet van Antwerpen.

The paper gives a list of the current and future destinations out of ANR. Quite a few suprises if you ask me.

- Alicante
- Barcelona
- Berlin
- Brive
- Deauville
- Dresden
- Dublin
- Florence
- Jersey
- London
- Malaga
- Milan