Former Sabena Boeing 737-229 flying for Bmi Baby

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-SBZ

Former Sabena Boeing 737-229 flying for Bmi Baby

Post by OO-SBZ »

G-CEAC, a former Sabena Boeing 737-229 Adv. (originally registered OO-SDE - sn 20911/360) is leased for the summer season to Bmi Baby.

The plane belongs to European Aviation Air Charter (under receivership) and still adorns the titles of its previous user: Palmair.

In her life, the Boeing has already been leased to Cameroon Airlines (1976), Nordair (1983-1986), CP Air (1987), Sobelair (1991 + 1992), Transmed (1992) before leaving our defunct flag carrier for Britain in 1999.

As a reminder, OO-SDE made her maiden flight on 12/06/1974.

Regards

BeN :idea:

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

I don't mean to be rude about BMI Baby but, why are the leasing such a heap of junk surely they could have got something better? The Sabena 737-200's were ropey to say the least when I flew on them so I dread to imagine what they are like now!
First flight in 1974, anyone know how many hours airframe has on it?

Emirates

Avro

Post by Avro »

I suppose they took the B732 for the simple reason that there were no other planes available during that period, or because it was cheaper than taking a newer plane.

I don't know how they are now, but when I last flew a B732 of Sabena they were ok.

Does someone know if the plane will be repainted in the BMI baby colours or not ?

Ciao
Chris
8)
Last edited by Avro on 30 Jun 2004, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Avro wrote:I don't know how they are now, but when I last flew a B732 of Sabena they were ok.
I still remember when I first flew the B737-200 of Sabena, between Le Bourget and Brussels (at that time AF flew out of Orly and SN out of Le Bourget. CDG did not exist yet). It was factory fresh and still smelling new. Of course it was quite nice, compared to the old Caravelle...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vinnie-Winnie

why are the leasing such a heap of junk ?

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Totally agree with u!!!!!! Everybody knows that the older the plane the crappier it is!!!!!! As long as they don't fly with it to brussels... Hehehe
BA if i'm right flies with brand new a319 from brussels to heahtrow and back... BMI planes seem pretty good!!!!!!! Any comments on the avros of SN BRUSSELS AIRLINES? personally I think they r appaling comfort and noise wise!
Any comments?

Avro

Re: why are the leasing such a heap of junk ?

Post by Avro »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Any comments on the avros of SN BRUSSELS AIRLINES? personally I think they r appaling comfort and noise wise!
Any comments?
I agree with you that the Avro is more noisy compared to the A319 for example. Further on when the flaps also do a lot of nois when they extend.
The comfort is good in my opinion, but I must say that I'm not really a demanding passenger. As long as I have a window seat I'm happy ;)

But I once read an interview with Mr Davies in an Air International magazine. There he told that the Avro had a very high appeal to the pax.

Greetz
Chris

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Avro wrote: But I once read an interview with Mr Davies in an Air International magazine. There he told that the Avro had a very high appeal to the pax.
Is some of this appeal perhaps due to the fact thatit has 4 engines and the fact that this reassures some poeple more :?:

Anyway I think the SNBA Avro's are a really good choice because they have the 3-2 layout and quiet engines :arrow: a lot of comfort. And they surely must have attractive leasing prices (but that does not affect the passenger)

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

L-1011 wrote:
Avro wrote: But I once read an interview with Mr Davies in an Air International magazine. There he told that the Avro had a very high appeal to the pax.
Is some of this appeal perhaps due to the fact thatit has 4 engines and the fact that this reassures some poeple more :?:

Anyway I think the SNBA Avro's are a really good choice because they have the 3-2 layout and quiet engines :arrow: a lot of comfort. And they surely must have attractive leasing prices (but that does not affect the passenger)

ciao,
TriStar :wink:
Aren't we going :offtopic:

Regards

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

:oops: sorry my mistake

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

I thought with al the noise regulations the B732's were banned from most European airports? :?: Or is this a/c hush kitted in a way in which it meets the demands?
But it is always nice to see a classic coming back into service, well, at least from the spotters’ point of view. :wink:
Does someone know where the B732 can be seen?

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

But it is always nice to see a classic coming back into service, well, at least from the spotters’ point of view. :wink:
Does someone know where the B732 can be seen?[/quote]

Ryanair have some left, the only ones I've seen have being at Manchester and Liverpool.

Emirates

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

B744skipper wrote:I thought with al the noise regulations the B732's were banned from most European airports? :?: Or is this a/c hush kitted in a way in which it meets the demands?
I think they are still allowed, but I think they are soon to be banned when the next stage of noise-regulations are being applied...
Ryanair flies with them to big airports like Dublin, Luton and Stansted, so they can't be banned...

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Buzz wrote:
B744skipper wrote:I thought with al the noise regulations the B732's were banned from most European airports? :?: Or is this a/c hush kitted in a way in which it meets the demands?
I think they are still allowed, but I think they are soon to be banned when the next stage of noise-regulations are being applied...
Ryanair flies with them to big airports like Dublin, Luton and Stansted, so they can't be banned...
Indeed Jan...

When I went to STN in late 04/2004, there we still many RYR Boeing 737-200s.
Moreover I think the Irish carrier still uses Boeing 737-200s on the CRL-DUB route...

Regards

gliding-glider

Post by gliding-glider »

At least the B732 is (and still is) convential flying.
Real flying ... the pleasure of flying.

Why shouldn't they be safe. And as far I know (and being sure) SN well maintained these birds ..... ever heard of any (serious) incidents?

And about noise .... don't you think BMI Baby planned their flights with this bird to those airports allowed to?

Greetz,

LJ

Post by LJ »

The Ryanair 732s are becoming a rarity at STN. I was at STN for a day (30-06-04) and only saw a few 732s, much less than at LGW (and there you get the Ukraine International 732 as a bonus)..

BTW does the plane get BMIbaby titles? I saw the plane at PMI a few weeks ago but with only its usual Palmair titles.